Thinking of reporting for the first time ever a energy company and it is EON

Options
I was with Avro energy happily for 2 years and my DD never went up (I am a very small consumer). It accumulated in the summer like most peoples and paid off any extra in winter. however, I decided to change when I read they were being investigated, more fool me to choose EON.  I thought I had found a really good offer from EON it was fixed-rate and cheaper when I gave them my first reading than Avro DD.

However, since then every time I check it wants my DD to be increased to cover extra usage its summer! what extra usage my heating hasn't been on for weeks!  It says on their website DD can go up or down where is the down?  I gave them an accurate reading when I switched and take the readings myself every time they need one.  If they charged me too little that is their problem the offer that I found on the MSE web page was what enticed me. 
I have only been with them a few months 2 readings have been given by me. The only way they know is up.
I would like to know about other people's experiences with EON.  (Good if there are any) and bad 
Thank you,   Mirelle

Comments

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mirelle_2 said:

I would like to know about other people's experiences with EON.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/4415605/eon-energy-reviews-give-your-feedback
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    When you switched did you do your own sums to see what the DD should be  ?   What annual consumption did you give them - how did you come up with that figure?
    Don't wait for them to ask for readings - read your meter every month and give them the reading then there is no guessing.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • mirelle_2
    Options
    Yep, I sure did. I also gave them my annual consumption from my 2 previous years with Avro as well as taking the first reading although, they did say Avro would send in my last reading, I still gave them my reading as well. 
    EON, only ask for a reading from me every three months which I do nothing is estimated on my account. However, I am going to start sending in once a month as you suggested and keeping a record of the reading as well starting today thank you for that idea.

Mirelle
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Work out your own actual annual usage, using an old Avro statement, or readings you gave them, from as close you can get to as a year ago and today's readings. It's simple with electricity by just deducting the oldest reading from the latest, but with gas you need to do a little calculation - your statements will show the formula used.
    Don't use the "Estimated Annual Usage" shown on the Avro statements. IME, from an account I manage, the gas estimate never changes (has been the same for over 2 years), and the electricity fluctuates considerably either side of the actual previous 12 months usage before the statement.
    Once you know your annual usage in kWh, calculate the equivalent cost for that on your EON tariff. Divide that by 12 and it gives you a good idea of what you should be paying each month. 
    If you are not confident with that arithmetic, or would like it checking, post your dates and meter readings appoximately one year apart, along with your EON tariff rates, and people will tell you what figures that comes up with.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• mirelle_2
    Options
    Thank you so much for this advice, Victor.  My maths is pretty good so I should be okay. 
    Mirelle
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mirelle_2 said:
    Thank you so much for this advice, Victor.  My maths is pretty good so I should be okay. 
    Mirelle
    From one "2" to another, you're welcome!
    THe EON reps have always been pretty active and helpful on this forum, but I see that Malc, who usually pops up, hasn't been on since April 3, so maybe the pandemic has kept him off here.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• Gerry1
    Gerry1 Posts: 9,937 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Malc has retired.
  • Smodlet
    Smodlet Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 3 July 2020 at 5:31PM
    Options
    I suppose you realise, OP, that the Cheap Energy Club's estimation of the cost of your annual consumption is exactly that?  How is anyone to know how much you have used if you don't tell them?  Energy companies are not psychic and, imho, Martin Lewis is completely unreasonable when he says they should not use estimated readings:  In the absence of solid data, what else are they supposed to use?

If you want to be in control of your expenditure, take control by sending meter readings every month on the same date and work out for yourself how much your usage has cost.  Do not rely on some website to tell you as many energy companies are useless at providing this information.  The only one I have come across who actually got it done was nPower and they are way too expensive for me now... And have been bought by e.on, who will only pull them down to their level.
  • Skint_yet_Again
    Skint_yet_Again Posts: 7,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You can set your direct debit to what you want online. Although mine was the other way and I set mine higher as my sons girlfriend moved in with us I wanted to pay more. You should be able to go online to your account and lower the direct debit if you believe you are paying too much on their direct debit manager 
    0% credit card £1360 & 0% Car Loan £7500 ~ paid in full JAN 2020 = NOW DEBT FREE 🤗
    House sale OCT 2022 = NOW MORTGAGE FREE 🤗
    House purchase completed FEB 2023 🥳🍾 Left work. 🤗

Retired at 55 & now living off the equity £10k a year (until pensions start at 60 & 67).

Previous Savings diary https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5597938/get-a-grip/p1

Living off savings diary
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6429003/escape-to-the-country-living-off-savings/p1
  • MWT
    MWT Posts: 9,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    mirelle_2 said:
    If they charged me too little that is their problem the offer that I found on the MSE web page was what enticed me.
    It really isn't their problem sadly, the monthly DD isn't a 'charge' and it isn't fixed in any manner, nor is it it part of the 'offer'.
    What you agreed to have fixed was the cost per kWh and the standing charge, the DD can and will move to match your consumption.
    If the estimate you received when switching turns out to be too low then the DD will need to go up.
    You know from past experience that you need to build up a positive balance so make sure you are doing that at this time of year and if the DD they are asking for is unreasonable and you are building up that balance anyway then complain.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback