Locksmith charged my wife £570, is there anything we can do?

Comments

• sharpe106
    sharpe106 Posts: 3,559 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    So charging £500 a hour labour I am in the wrong job. Do they have a website? where prices are quoted?
  • Their website is down, no prices quoted:
    key-24.co.uk/

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,650 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Relative had similar issue although not quite as eye-wateringly expensive. 
    They used the most expensive lock with the biggest mark up. We put it down to experience and not asking if there was a cheaper option. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • mattyprice4004
    mattyprice4004 Posts: 7,492 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    That's the joy of locksmiths, and pretty standard - especially when you include the 'London tax'
    You're paying for the years of training and kit they have, not just for the time (and no, I'm not a locksmith)
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 1 July 2020 at 11:12AM
    OP Are you sure that Mr Blagovest Konstantinov has not charged you in levs, 570 Bulgarian Levs rate change at the moment is £264.

Seriously though, I believe you have been vastly overcharged by a one man operation. But if quote was £200 to start with and a top of the range high security lock as mentioned would be £50. So £250 plus a few minutes to fit. As above?

You can check if the lock is top of the range, is key slot horizontal and do keys have indents on flat surface? https://www.meridian-security.co.uk/avocet-abs-mk3-ultimate-m21

But it appears your wife agreed to the amount and paid it. 
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • There wasn't a cheaper lock option, the were only two options and this one was the cheapest.
    You have to understand the situation:
    Wife was on her own, it was Sunday 5pm, with no access to the house, all she wanted was to be able to get in, she was told it would be around £200, when she was faced with a £570 bill, what was she supposed to do?
    She was in a weak position and the guy took advantage of it. If I had been there I would have probably acted as she did.

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,267 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Trading standards will advise, but I think it probable that if this came to court (small claims) the locksmith would be ordered to return about £300 as overpayment.
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Their website is down, no prices quoted:
    key-24.co.uk/

The website is probably down as according to company house the company is dormant.

Under filing history: https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10908735/officers

Some reviews here: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/lock-smith.net   Terrible!

As per my previous post I would assume total cost should have been circa £264 and that's with a very expensive lock fitted.
    But suspect cheap one was.

Agree that your wife was in a vulnerable position at that time.

So I would definitely  take this further to try and recoup the huge balance that was overcharged. Even for London?

Look here to begin with? https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/legal-system/small-claims/making-a-small-claim/

The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • We've filled a form with Trading Standard, we'll now contact Citizens Advice, thanks for the help
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback