Locksmith charged my wife £570, is there anything we can do?

Comments

• jlf6280 said:
    This afternoon I locked myself out and my purse and phone were in the house with my keys. A helpful neighbour called a locksmith and sadly it was Locksmith 24 hours Blaga Vest that she’d called. They lied and said they were a local company and would be with me in 20mins. An hour later they arrived to my house in Kent (probably from London where they seem to be based). They kept insisting they were local and charged me £333.60 for less than a minutes work opening my front door. £89 call out fee plus £189 to put something through the letter box- plus VAT. I questioned the outrageous price and was crying at this point but they didn’t care and I had no choice....and they knew it! I’m so upset and angry that they’re allowed to operate like this :-(
    Speak to citizen advice, que are following their advice:
    We requested the complaints form from Blaga Vest, obviously they didnt reply.
    We asked for a few quotes to several locksmiths and sent them a letter stating some consumer rights.
    Obviously they didn’t reply.
    We are going to catch up next week as they have a timeframe were they can reply.

They are well known by legit locksmiths, it’s unbelievable that no one has done anything to close them down.

I also reported them to google due to fake advertising as they aren’t local and they charge a fee when the ad says otherwise. This doesn’t seem to have had any effect, but the more people that complain, the better.
  • MalMonroe
    MalMonroe Posts: 5,783 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Gosh! I really am going to change jobs. Locksmiths can make an absolute fortune! 
    Especially if called out at night. What an absolute rip off, according to the internet it seems that they can legally charge what they like. This 'trade' really does need regulating.
    Please note - taken from the Forum Rules and amended for my own personal use (with thanks) : It is up to you to investigate, check, double-check and check yet again before you make any decisions or take any action based on any information you glean from any of my posts. Although I do carry out careful research before posting and never intend to mislead or supply out-of-date or incorrect information, please do not rely 100% on what you are reading. Verify everything in order to protect yourself as you are responsible for any action you consequently take.
  • gilett
    gilett Posts: 425 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    All i paid was £79 when i got locked out.
  • JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 18 August 2020 at 8:13AM
    gilett said:
    I would just go and ask my neighbours or son for the spare key
  • JamoLew said:
    gilett said:

Your forgetting the OP's wife had a spare key but couldn't use it because she'd left her key turned in the lock on the inside (so couldn't get the spare into the lock from the outside).  Easily done and I've done so myself.   That's why my locksmith was able to put an articulated "arm" through our letterbox and turn the key on the inside from outside.  No scamming the customer - sorry, I mean unneccessary drilling of locks and buying expensive new ones.
  • JamoLew
    JamoLew Posts: 1,800 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    JamoLew said:
    gilett said:

Your forgetting the OP's wife had a spare key but couldn't use it because she'd left her key turned in the lock on the inside (so couldn't get the spare into the lock from the outside).  Easily done and I've done so myself.   That's why my locksmith was able to put an articulated "arm" through our letterbox and turn the key on the inside from outside.  No scamming the customer - sorry, I mean unneccessary drilling of locks and buying expensive new ones.
    True - I also have a back door as well though
  • Manxman_in_exile
    Manxman_in_exile Posts: 8,380 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 August 2020 at 9:53PM
    JamoLew said:
    JamoLew said:
    gilett said:

True - I also have a back door as well though

Yeah - but how do you get into the house if the back door isn't immediately accessible?  (The OP says there was no access to the house which I interpret to mean there was no backdoor or - as with our backdoor - it wasn't accessible).

And in my experience the first thing any proper locksmith asks is "Is there another way in/can you get through a window?" 

• I've also had a similar encounter within BLAGA VEST,  .. just wanted to ask how did you have any luck with claiming back ? 

• _Anon_ said:

I've also had a similar encounter within BLAGA VEST,  .. just wanted to ask how did you have any luck with claiming back ? 

Unfortunately not, I went through citizen advice and some other organisation, and nothing happened.
    The only thing we can do I believe is to put a claim throught the small claims court.
    But I don't think that will go anywhere, the guy will close the company, and open a new one, that's his modus operandi I believe.
    Dunno if by joining forces there is anythign we can do...I don't even know a lawyer that can advice..
  • Sorry to hear that.. Thanks for getting back to me. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback