We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

18 year old - when Child ISA matures at £20,000 ... will he lose Universal Credit whilst studying?

Options
1235»

Comments

• FBaby
    FBaby Posts: 18,367 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Could he take a PT job? My DS works 16h in addition to doing 3 A levels and getting good grades. Supermarket job.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,371 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Does he qualify as a 'care leaver'?  Previous posters have, I think, been quite right about his eligibility for universal credit.  However, if he is a 'care leaver' there may be alternative sources of help available to him which your council website may be a starting point for.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • chefthe1
    Options
    He could use the money to go to university. And claim his student loan. Don’t think there will be many jobs out there after this pandemic. Could be a good start for him student loans are not mean tested. 
  • LittleSun
    LittleSun Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thank you, RobinHill especially, I think you got across what I was trying to say,!!!!!   I really appreciate that.  I am hoping we can find some positive ways to help my son start in life in challenging circumstances, which as RobinHill says, was his Granny's original intention.
    All the best.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport