We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

18 year old - when Child ISA matures at £20,000 ... will he lose Universal Credit whilst studying?

Options

Comments

• LittleSun
    LittleSun Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I really will leave it there.  
    Unless anyone else can shed any other light
    ! :smile:
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    LittleSun said:
    I really will leave it there.  
    Unless anyone else can shed any other light
    ! :smile:

What other light would you like people to shed?
  • huckster
    huckster Posts: 4,876 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There is nothing stopping him investing in some form of employment  training or further education or buying a car to be mobile.  Things that may improve his chances of finding a job or better paid work.   If he spends some of the money in a reasonable worthwhile way  and he then has less than £16000 capital available, then he can still claim Universal Credit.  But as pointed out, the benefit awards would be reduced. 

Perhaps it may be worth thinking about his needs and how he may invest some of the money to improve life chances.
    The comments I post are personal opinion. Always refer to official information sources before relying on internet forums. If you have a problem with any organisation, enter into their official complaints process at the earliest opportunity, as sometimes complaints have to be started within a certain time frame.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 21 June 2020 at 7:34PM
    Options
    LittleSun said:
    He doesn't live at home Mark!!!!  He won't finish his A levels till he is 18 1/2.  I'll have to try and help him sort it out in new school year, as I said, unusual and difficult circumstances. 
    I never said he did. 

Your the one comparing him to other under 18s studying A-Levels. 

He gets UC to cover living expenses and rent, students that live at home don’t, that’s fair and accurate. 

He will have 20k savings, most students at 18 probably don’t! 

Therefore yes he might lose his UC, but comparing to other students he doesn’t suffer because he still has 20k. 

He will be in a better financial situation, still able to live, eat, pay bills etc. 

You basically want him to receive UC and keep his savings, regardless of his circumstances, situation, etc, that’s not going to happen, end of! 

If you don’t like the answer, don’t ask the question. 
  • LittleSun
    First Post
    Options
    Poppy, can you actually go away now?  You have made your point repeatedly and are simply getting quite nasty to be honest.
    Other people might know more than you, is all I was trying to say, or have other suggestions, again is all I was (nicely) trying to say.  
    Thank you Huckster, I will think about your suggestions.  At least positive!!!!  My son is quite vulnerable in some ways, and I am just trying to help him to start off in life in the best way.  Thank you.  

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,160 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I have not been nasty in any way towards you. Please do quote the threads in which i've been nasty towards you.  You asked a question and i answered it.
  • LittleSun
    First Post
    Options
    Can you go away Poppy?  I've asked you repeatedly not to keep commenting on my thread, when they are not welcome and just repeats.  You nor Mark do not understand our circumstances.  I wouldn't expect you to.  But can you back off now.  I've asked you about 3 times now.  
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    LittleSun said:
    Can you go away Poppy?  I've asked you repeatedly not to keep commenting on my thread, when they are not welcome and just repeats.  You nor Mark do not understand our circumstances.  I wouldn't expect you to.  But can you back off now.  I've asked you about 3 times now.  
    Circumstances are there’s 20k = over the savings limit, therefore no UC entitlement = simple. 

Good luck.  
  • LittleSun
    First Post
    Options
    Well, Huckster was helpful anyway ...
    The rest, well just a waste of 26 posts repeating the same, which I got first time round.  
  • LittleSun
    First Post
    Options
    And unpleasant attitude to boot.  
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts