We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

18 year old - when Child ISA matures at £20,000 ... will he lose Universal Credit whilst studying?

Options

Comments

• RobinHill
    RobinHill Posts: 334 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    MarkN88 & poppy12345. Those continued remarks were out of order. Given your experience on here I would have expected better and you ought to be ashamed of yourselves. Totally unnecessary.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,162 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 June 2020 at 7:53PM
    Options
    RobinHill said:
    MarkN88 & poppy12345. Those continued remarks were out of order. Given your experience on here I would have expected better and you ought to be ashamed of yourselves. Totally unnecessary.

I'm not ashamed of anything but thanks for that. I was simply answering the questions that were being repeated, that the son was under 19 in full time education. That doesn't mean savings of over £16,000 are allowed.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 15,107 Forumite
    Options
    LittleSun said:
     You do not understand our circumstances.  I wouldn't expect you to.  But can you back off now.  I've asked you about 3 times now.  
    Well unless you explain the circumstances, which you are refusing to do as it will take more than a few lines. 
    Not a problem. Plenty of threads with long posts.
    Then how can you expect anyone to understand.
    Poopy is someone that has a vast knowledge on benefits system.
    You posted on a public forum. It is not your choice who responds to you.

Would it be right to assume that he gets UC due to
    >>You do not have parental support, for example you’re estranged from your parents and you’re not under local authority care <<
    Life in the slow lane
  • RobinHill
    Options
    poppy12345: You both came across as quite rude, which wasn't necessary at all. Notwithstanding you were asked to refrain, but you ignored this and continued to comment. You should note and heed Huckster's helpful reply. The OP may take the "it is a shame" view since the grand parent didn't intend for the money to be needed in this way. I would proffer the notion that most examples would still be under the auspices of parent(s) and not need to use the funds to provide for basic living costs, moreover a gap year or home deposit etc. So to that end it is understandable to describe the situation "as a shame".

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    RobinHill said:
    Sorry if that’s how it came across and I’m sorry to OP if I offended you. 

I was just letting you know how it would be treated in respect of UC. 

As I said further up - good luck. 
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,162 Forumite
    Options
    If that's how i came across then i'm sorry. However, this just proves that text speak is often miss read because that's not what i meant. I will leave it at that now.
  • RobinHill
    Options
    LittleSun: A further thought on Huckster's line of advice, I believe that DWP/UC would deem pension contributions acceptable, if appropriate this would perhaps be a wise provision for later in life, and help limit any loss of benefit entitlement.
  • Spendless
    Spendless Posts: 24,206 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    What's his plan once A levels finish, is he going to Uni or looking for work?
    I can totally understand that it's a bit of a frustration that over nearly 18 years money was paid into an account thinking it would one day give him a head start and instead it will go on 'every day' costs because he's in a different situation to what was anticipated. If he looks for work then he can at least use some wages to cover his bills. If he's off to Uni then I *don't think* he'll be eligible for Universal credit anyway and would instead need to be funding via student loans  
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 7,323 Forumite
    Options
    I hope, if he is in social care, the social work team are aware of the situation.  In my experience, they aren't always as helpful as they could be with financial matters but they should at least be made aware so someone somewhere is helping him prepare.  If he is on any non income dependent benefits like DLA, these will remain unaffected.

If there is a decision to spend some of the money on something he needs, it is best to get confirmation from DWP beforehand that this will not result in a judgment of hiding their financial status (I can't recall the official term).  
  • LilElvis
    LilElvis Posts: 5,835 Forumite
    Options
    RobinHill said:
    LittleSun: A further thought on Huckster's line of advice, I believe that DWP/UC would deem pension contributions acceptable, if appropriate this would perhaps be a wise provision for later in life, and help limit any loss of benefit entitlement.
    As he is not working the maximum that can be paid into a pension scheme in his name is £3,600 per year gross.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure