We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

18 year old - when Child ISA matures at £20,000 ... will he lose Universal Credit whilst studying?

Options

Comments

• poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 18,162 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 21 June 2020 at 7:16PM
    Options
    I wasn't being "testy" as you put it. You asked a question in which i answered. I'm sorry if it''s not the answer you would have liked but it doesn't change the answer, it will still be same.
    I certainly didn't accuse you of anything...
  • LittleSun
    LittleSun Posts: 18 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I think you were "testy".  I wouldn't have minded the answer, either way, just not the judgy irritation that went along with it, even though you have no idea about our circumstances as a whole.
  • poppy12345
    Options
    Knowing your circumstances wouldn't have made any difference to the answer....
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Most students under 18, who live at home, are not entitled to UC. Plus won’t have savings like this. So he’s losing nothing in my mind, he’s in a much better position than they are. 
  • LittleSun
    First Post
    Options
    I'll leave it there.
    But thanks for the facts at least.  It will give my son something to think about in September.

• LittleSun
    First Post
    Options
    He doesn't live at home Mark!!!!  He won't finish his A levels till he is 18 1/2.  I'll have to try and help him sort it out in new school year, as I said, unusual and difficult circumstances. 
  • poppy12345
    edited 21 June 2020 at 7:24PM
    Options
    LittleSun said:
    He doesn't live at home Mark!!!!
    It makes no difference. He will have £20,000..
  • LittleSun
    First Post
    Options
    He has to pay rent to a private LL in other words.  Sorry, I think it is a bit complicated for this board to understand, in just a few sentences, sorry I posted really.
  • LittleSun
    First Post
    Options
    That was addressed to Mark.  I get it Poppy!
  • poppy12345
    Options
    What's complicated about it? He's claiming means tested benefits and will be receiving £20,000. This means he won't be entitled to the benefits.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure