TUI holiday in August - amend or wait for TUI to cancel ?

Options
We are due to go on a 2 week TUI holiday at the end of August. Ideally we'd hold out until TUI cancel the holiday and give us a credit and the 20% off future bookings which TUI are currently giving for cancelled holidays (especially as prices have gone up so much). We can amend our booking now (and up to the end of June) free of charge but of course would miss out on the 20% off.
The danger with waiting for cancellation by TUI is that they might insist we go ahead with the holiday, which we don't really fancy doing as there are likely to be social distancing measures which mean the holiday would not be so enjoyable.
It's a real dilemma and I wondered what others with TUI holidays booked for August were doing ?

Comments

• NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,366 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Unless cancelled by TUI you will be financially obligated to the terms and conditions of the agreement you have entered into.
    I wouldn't be influenced by whatever other people say.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,686 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    You've listed the pros and cons, I guess you just have to make the decision that feels best to you.
    I think this says a lot:
    JUser said:
    The danger with waiting for cancellation by TUI is that they might insist we go ahead with the holiday, which we don't really fancy doing as there are likely to be social distancing measures which mean the holiday would not be so enjoyable.
    It's a real dilemma and I wondered what others with TUI holidays booked for August were doing ?

• Alan_Bowen
    Alan_Bowen Posts: 4,850 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Social distancing may continue until we find a vaccine and people actually agree to be vaccinated, so you may be waiting a long time if that is one of your criteria for deciding whether to travel or not
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    You don't say which country you are travelling to but that will have a considerable bearing on whether the holiday will actually take place or not. Many countries are desperate to get the holiday season underway but you can be certain that restrictions will be in place and it will not be the holiday experience that you expected when initially booking.

You are looking to about 3 months ahead. Who knows what the situation will be like by then but there is every chance that it could take place. Are you willing to gamble? 
  • pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    We were due to travel with Tui on 14 August to Lanzarote.  We made the decision to cancel and lose the £400 deposit last week rather than pay the balance of the holiday.  A couple of days later, there was an email with the option to rebook for next year.  I have approached Tui via Messenger to ask to reinstate the holiday and allow us to rebook.  They have refused saying I cancelled too soon.  A bit rich considering they owe me over £2000 for a cancelled holiday by them in April.  They have not fulfilled their obligations to refund within 14 days.  I’m still waiting for my money and looks like it could be at least another three weeks.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,558 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I re-organised a TUI holiday due to take place in July for 2021. It may be it is cancelled but if it did go ahead I would have the same reservations expressed above about the likely experience and 14 days quarantine on return is not all that appealing either. It may be I could do better playing chicken and waiting but I'd rather hope for better things next year.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,157 Forumite
    edited 30 May 2020 at 8:33AM
    Options
    pattycake said:
    We were due to travel with Tui on 14 August to Lanzarote.  We made the decision to cancel and lose the £400 deposit last week rather than pay the balance of the holiday.  A couple of days later, there was an email with the option to rebook for next year.  I have approached Tui via Messenger to ask to reinstate the holiday and allow us to rebook.  They have refused saying I cancelled too soon.  A bit rich considering they owe me over £2000 for a cancelled holiday by them in April.  They have not fulfilled their obligations to refund within 14 days.  I’m still waiting for my money and looks like it could be at least another three weeks.
    Well you did cancel so not really TUI,s fault as for waiting for your refund, whilst i do not agree it is right you are only one of of 10,s of thousands waiting for their refund or vouchers plus bonus.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,366 Forumite
    Options
    Two separate issues there.
    TUI's slow refund procedures are reprehensible nevertheless.
  • ladyh0
    ladyh0 Posts: 11 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    We are due to fly to Egypt 15th July.  Deposit of £500 paid with balance due 22nd April   Booked in-store so at beginning of  lockdown saying had to wait until stores opened.  Did nothing so assumed as I didn't pay 4k balance my deposit was lost (was prepared to swallow this as didn't fancy travelling or paying balance.  Received email 3 days ago to say we could transfer balance and book later holiday which I did yesterday   different location but slightly cheaper so all good         
  • pattycake
    pattycake Posts: 1,576 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Ganga said:
    pattycake said:
    Well you did cancel so not really TUI,s fault as for waiting for your refund, whilst i do not agree it is right you are only one of of 10,s of thousands waiting for their refund or vouchers plus bonus.
    Absolutely our decision and we had already mentally written off the deposit.  But Tui then moved the goalposts to allow rebooking.  My point was that they could not amend the T&Cs to reinstate the booking but I have to accept their not adhering to the package holiday regulations and not refunding within 14 days of cancellation.

i know I am not alone in awaiting a refund.  There was an option to use what I’m owed against my August booking but that entailed contacting them by phone which proved impossible unless you were prepared to practically allocate a day to try to get through.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback