PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Overhaul of the way I deal with food

Options
Hello, I've joined here in the hopes of changing how I manage the food in our home. I spend far too much on it, and waste a fair amount too.
I really need to sort it all out. I would appreciate any advice on where to begin please.
We need to be able to move house soon, as it's getting rather squeezed now. We don't have much spare income though, and thought that the food budget is probably a good place to start.
I really am struggling, so tips and hints gladly welcomed!
Thank you :smile:

Comments

• joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,562 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Have a look at the Grocery Challenge - it's a sticky at the top of the Old Style threads.  There are lots of hints and tips also masses of recipes which you might find useful.

One of the first things you need to do is to list everything you have - cupboards, fridge, freezer(s) and then try to use as much of what you have already bought in a meal plan which will obviously save you money and will also help to clear out some of it ready for when you move.  No point in moving stuff that you really don't need to.

Hope that helps.

• GeorgieLou
    GeorgieLou Posts: 23 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 May 2020 at 5:10PM
    Options
    Thanks for the advise joedenise. I'll definitely take a look at the Grocery challenge, it sounds very helpful.

Making myself a list of what I have in would be a huge challenge!! I have a whole load of random food in the kitchen, and not sure what I'd do with the knowledge of all that is there! I suppose that it is a good enough reason in itself though? 
    I know I said we'd need to move soon, however in reality it wouldn't be that soon. Looking at least beyond a year I think, with our current situation. It's pretty dire in terms of being able to afford it right now.
  • GeorgieLou
    Options
    Makes sense Nonnadiluca. really struggle with meal planning, I have to admit. I find it overwhelming, and I know that sounds incredibly silly for what is supposed to be such a simple task, however it's very difficult for me.
    I don't think that it helps that I'm not exactly the best cook, so buy the ingredients with the best intentions, and usually end up wasting them, which is terrible. In fact, I'm not a huge fan of the Supermarket (before Covid-19 too) so my husband usually goes, which is probably unfair, seeing as I'm a SAHM. I end up just wandering around, and panic buying in the end, to get out of there.

• MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,639 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    A list of your cupboard/freezer contents really would help. I got my bored daughter to go through the freezer and our corner cupboard where all the spices/sauces live (and get pushed to the back so you can't see what you have). Now we have a list and so far we are keeping it up to date. It also means we don't buy duplicates of stuff we already have - 4 tubes of tomato puree anyone?
    Now when it is time to think about tomorrow's food we start with
    1. what protein (meat/fish here as I don't do dairy and DD doesn't like chickpeas or lentils)
    2. what veg needs eating up
    3. what fresh veg / salad do we have
    4. rice/pasta/couscous/spuds to go with
    Either we hit the recipe books or internet - Waitrose has a site where you can input ingredients and it suggests recipes.
    Frozen stuff gets taken out of the freezer to defrost in plenty of time as there is a plan.
    We have tried lots of new recipes as a result. We found jars of sundried tomatoes, artichoke antipasto, olives so we made pizza bases and added loads of toppings. We have been watching the Wagamama wok from home videos for inspiration too.
    It is easier to be inspired if you know what you have to play with. Take one of your impulse buys and challenge yourself to use it.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,639 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It looks like there is a Reverse Meal Planning thread that does just this.
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6123182/reverse-meal-planning/p34
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • GeorgieLou
    Options
    Breaking it down seems as though it may help quite a bit MallyGirl. I've not thought of just taking it day by day before.
    Even the step by step decision making you've shared, seems simple enough. perhaps a good place to start
  • jbkmum
    jbkmum Posts: 293 Forumite
    Options
    @GeorgieLou So I found with mealplanning that I failed when I tried to be too adventerous. So what I do now is I take a "meat" and I make a few different meals from that that are fairly easy I don't vary the meals 5 days of the week, two days of the week we mix it up and I don't plan those two days.
    I have a short list of meals that my DS will eat and I do not deviate from those except for once a week where he has leftovers and me and OH have something a bit fancier
    Bolognese
    Lasagne
    Chicken Enchiladas
    Salmon and Potato/Veg
    Paella
    Risotto
    Tacos
    Chili
    Meat and wedges
    Rogan Josh curry
    Stir Fry
    Chicken Leeks and Rice

I work on a two week cycle, we eat beef mince dishes at the start of the week, chicken in the middle, then fish towards the end. Leftovers tend to get taken for OH's lunch, I roast all the potatoes we get in our veg box on tuesday night which then get eaten through out the week. We roast a chicken on a wednesday or a sunday (depending on work) and that gets made into coronation chicken. We are happy eating the same stuff every week and we have one day a week where we eat off schedule, usually a yellow stickered meat plus veg from the box. When we try a new recipe, if its not too much hassle to make and we all like it I write it down in a notebook and that gets added to the cycle

£5000 left to pay on credit cards, down from 40k!!
  • GeorgieLou
    Options
    Crossed posted with the link you've put up MallyGirl. Will take a look at that thread too.
     jbkmum we also have quite few limited meals here. I'll practically eat anything, as will DH. the kids are a mixed bag, and it makes choosing meals difficult. Tonight for example, DH and one DC are having one meal, 2 of the DC are having another meal, and I'm having another (I'm trying to lose weight) I like the sound of your list though - sounds lovely.
  • Tink_04
    Tink_04 Posts: 1,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I find meal planning really overwhelming, try planning for 2 - 3 days at first and see how you go? If your not a confident cook use stuff you are confident with. What are your go to meals that you like? You can then adapt these later on but for now just focus on cooking and planning what you like and can manage the look as adding something different in once you have conquered that part. 

Good luck 

Tink
    Living the simple life
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family