After years of debt journey through my sensible 40s... and save a deposit for a house

Options

Comments

• lantanna
    lantanna Posts: 4,393 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Struggling now at this point in the month. Turned down two invitations for this week as I have already spent so much this month.  No room to save anything else sadly. Def has to be a weekend in, even though I do remember saying that last weekend.  Bored with seeing the 4kish sign, sometimes when you take into account the legal bits it seems like there is still a mountain to climb.
    On a plus though finished the Book I was reading. First book read this year, not much of a reader anymore unless on holiday when I’ll get through 6 books in a week usually.  Still have grocery £ and petrol £. Credit card still hidden away. 
    Work was a real challenge today dealing with someone’s attitude, having a gin and going to find something good to watch that I can lose myself in.
  • lantanna
    Options
    Looking forward to having a day relaxing today, trying to be good on the eating front but having no effect on the scales. 
  • lantanna
    Options
    Deposit update, now up to £5318. Glad to have gotten out of the 4ks. Pleased to still be on target to hit 8 k by the end of the year now which doesn’t seem too far away now at all. 
  • lantanna
    Options
    At the boring point in the month now where all saving and debts are paid.  Not much to do at the minute other than work. Have booked a 3 night break at the end of sept in a hotel with a friend in a coastal town. Pricey enough and I like to have my own room, but something to look forward to. Just got to claw back now in other areas to pay for it and have spending £. Manageable enough though. I’m over this year now. Ready for 2021 and all that it may bring
  • lantanna
    Options
    Feeling a blue at the minute,  A couple of things feeding into it, coming off my contraceptive pill, first week of the Keto diet, finding out I have a fatty liver, doing something stupid concerning work that I keep beating myself up about, too much alcohol over the last week and probably resulting from this heightened anxiety.  Have real fear at the minute about the future could be work wise with the current climate. I’ve posted this as I’m hoping I’ll come back on later in the week and things will have improved. 
    A lot of people seem to be feeling low at the minute and I for one am struggling to believe it’s September tomorrow, it’s been the strangest year.
  • WinterWarrior
    WinterWarrior Posts: 5,624 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Hope you feel happier soon, it’s awful when a lot of things hit at once ☹️ I’m sure the work issue will blow over, they always do. Good luck with the keto diet...I really, really should be doing something! 
    Not all who wander are lost - J.R.R.Tolkien
    🌊 A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor 🌊
    2024 challenges - (1) £8k savings challenge = £900 so far (2) 1 stone weight reduction = 1lb so far
    My WW and friends diary is here 😁 … 
    https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6259606/must-try-harder/p1

• lantanna
    Options
    Thanks Suzanne, I’ve been on it for just under a week, not convinced yet though. Your right about things blowing over. I know I’ll feel better by the end of the week
  • maggiem
    maggiem Posts: 1,646 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I think lots of us are feeling a bit blue at the moment, sort of a building unformed anxiety in my case and you've had a lot going on Lantanna. Hope things improve quickly, often the worry is worse than what actually happens.
  • lantanna
    Options
    Thanks Maggie, I was saying to a colleague this morning it’s like there is a cloud hanging over us all right now.
  • Buffythedebtslayer
    Options
    Lantanna, Just wanted to say hello :) I am a few years older than you and after many years of always wanting a house and never having the focus to save I have managed to save since becoming debt free just over a year ago. I have (like you) set it all up so they go out automatically and it can get a bit boring. 
    I do a couple of things, one - I physically move all odd bits of change into a savings account I keep as a like a float for when/if I run out of money or fancy something ridiculous. I like to have all my bank accounts ending in even numbers (!) and this has meant I have some spare money that can be used for anything. 
    I also have a bank account that isn't easy to get into, I can, but it is an effort and I send it money every month and make the odd extra payments but I rarely look at it so it is a nice surprise when I do 
    I also challenge myself to get at least 1000 in each account I have, I work on one at a time and move them to over accounts - it was how I got 3000 in the emergency account. I feel for me it is a game, can I save a third of my wages this month? can I save more? I have been mega spendy recently but have surprised myself that I have managed to keep saving. I do get it tho - keep in mind you have done brilliantly in a short space of time. I plucked up the courage to ring a finachial adivosr person as I think I am too old to get a mortgage but he was like nope, no problem you have the income you just don't have the savings! The idea that it is definitely possible really helped me to stay on track. 
    Stick with. One do you will over look the sea from beautiful house XXXX 
    Nevertheless she persisted.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport