Please help me get my account back

Towards the the of last year and over the new year, for reasons I'd rather not disclose publicly, I was unable to access MSE. It was around this time that MSE migrated to their new forum software and I completely lost access to my account. My previous email provider terminated their service a while back and I've now completely lost access to this account.

I've tried for several weeks to explain my situation over email, only to receive generic and disinterested replies. I used my account mostly to talk about mental health issues (more often via PM than publicly) that both I and others are going through and now more than ever I need access back. Rebuilding trust and relationships like this doesn't come easily and I am hopeful that someone in the admin team understands this. I can't just pick up the phone and talk to Samaritans.... My head doesn't work like that.

I've been told that no personal information is stored on an account but I can provide ample evidence of legitimate ownership of my account. There is also a digital footprint that I'm sure I can easily prove is mine. 

If someone from the admin team can send me a private message and we can solve this, then it avoids the embarrassment of having to put multiple threads on boards saying "please contact me, my old account was X". I am desperate.

Regards

Comments

• J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,443 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Just supposing your old name was Fred Bloggs - could you set up a new ID called 'Former Fred Bloggs'
    I suspect that if you've been asking politely for 'several weeks' then you ain't going to get a result.
    Maybe the forum staff are overrun with comments about the 'Wonderful' new forum, as well as C19 issues, to help you!
  • J_B said:
    Just supposing your old name was Fred Bloggs - could you set up a new ID called 'Former Fred Bloggs'
    I suspect that if you've been asking politely for 'several weeks' then you ain't going to get a result.
    Maybe the forum staff are overrun with comments about the 'Wonderful' new forum, as well as C19 issues, to help you!
    Hello. 
    Yes I could do that. However this doesn't return the numerous private conversations I had going around the time I lost access to the forum. It also doesn't reunite me with the usernames of those who I was engaging with.
    Ironically, the time they've spent saying no and explaining why with vague explanations, they could have simply gone ahead and done it. 
    If I spent my time on this forum talking about car prices and house tax, I would have already gone ahead and followed your suggestion. My principal use is very personal and therefore I remain hopeful that someone will take a pragmatic approach and allow me to prove my ownership of the account.
  • sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    you need to contact the forum team to ask for assistance. Pop an email to : ForumTeam@MoneySavingExpert.com
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sarah1972 said:
    you need to contact the forum team to ask for assistance. Pop an email to : ForumTeam@MoneySavingExpert.com
    This is the email address I've been speaking to. I'll try again though.
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,849 Forumite
    Had a similar thing happen to me on another large forum.  E-mailed admin and had my account back in half a day.  It all depends on what effort the admins want to put in for you, probably too busy trying to sort out their train wreck of a forum design ! (Amazing how another forum can use exactly the same back end and be completely useable)
  • J_B
    J_B Posts: 6,443 Forumite
    molerat said:
    .... probably too busy trying to sort out their train wreck of a forum design !
    😲 ..... but ..... it's an upgrade .... :smile:

• sarah1972
    sarah1972 Posts: 18,897 Senior Ambassador
    Homepage Hero Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    sarah1972 said:
    Give it another try although for legal reasons I suspect they won’t be able to reinstate your account as they can’t validate you from an expired email account. 
    I’m a Senior Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Competitions Time, Shopping & Freebies boards, Employment, Jobseeking & Training boards If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • sarah1972 said:
    sarah1972 said:
    Give it another try although for legal reasons I suspect they won’t be able to reinstate your account as they can’t validate you from an expired email account. 
    I don't really understand this. Why can't they validate me? I can provide plenty of evidence to prove my legitimate ownership... Plus email addresses can be compromised and regularly are. 

I maintain hope that someone from the admin team will endeavour to help me.
  • sarah1972 said:
    sarah1972 said:
    I don't really understand this. Why can't they validate me? I can provide plenty of evidence to prove my legitimate ownership... Plus email addresses can be compromised and regularly are. 

I maintain hope that someone from the admin team will endeavour to help me.
    The forum team move in mysterious ways sometimes.

I've been asking them to delete my account as I don't want it anymore but no response only an automated response to somebody called 'Gerry' - That's not me and no I don't have a pacemaker either!

• I am going to e-mail the forum team again. I really do remain hopeful that someone can resolve this for me. It'll be more or less impossible to reconnect with those I was in private discussion with and especially difficult as I need to reconnect at this time. Come on Board Admins, help me out please :(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback