Forum Home » Coronavirus support and help

Money Moral Dilemma: Should I charge my son for living at home after returning from uni early?

New Post Advanced Search

Coronavirus: The latest from MSE

The MSE team is working extremely hard to keep the info we have about your travel rights, cancellation rights, sick pay (and more) up to date.
The official MSE guides: UPDATED MSE Coronavirus Guides

NEWSFLASH

New, free ‘Academoney’ course from MSE and the Open University launches
All the key areas of personal finance are covered, so that you can master your money decisions

Money Moral Dilemma: Should I charge my son for living at home after returning from uni early?

edited 5 May at 4:16PM in Coronavirus support and help
93 replies 57.5K views
MSE_KelvinMSE_Kelvin MSE Staff
121 posts
10 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper Newshound!
MSE Staff
edited 5 May at 4:16PM in Coronavirus support and help
This week's MoneySaver who wants advice asks...

Should I charge my son for living at home after returning from uni due to the coronavirus outbreak? It seems likely he'll be spending the whole of the summer term with us now, and the cost of our food shopping has increased, as will our other household bills. He is saving money as he isn't being charged for his uni accommodation, so should I ask him to contribute to our bills?

Unfortunately the MSE team can't always answer money moral dilemma questions as contributions are often emailed in or suggested in person. They are intended to be a point of debate and discussed at face value. 

😲 If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
🙄 Got a Money Moral Dilemma of your own? Suggest an MMD.

Replies

• unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    5.3K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think you should at least claim what he gets as a maintenance loan
  • edited 5 May at 5:39PM
    gettingtheresometimegettingtheresometime Forumite
    5.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 5 May at 5:39PM
    🤦‍♀️
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared :) thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge
  • lincroft1710lincroft1710 Forumite
    13.4K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with Unforseen
  • Gonna-be-debt-freeGonna-be-debt-free Forumite
    192 posts
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I think it depends entirely on the circumstances of both parties.   e.g. Is he working?  Are you impacted financially by CV as a family?  Is he still having to pay uni-related bills such as rent.

At the wealthier end of the spectrum, given that you would be paying a parental contribution towards university anyway, it might make sense to reduce that if he doesn't have those associated costs.  However I would assume he would still have some costs including books etc.

At the other end of the spectrum, if you are struggling to put food on the table then it makes sense that all income from any family member is fair game in such exceptional times.

• hlb41hlb41 Forumite
    1 posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I think you should at least claim what he gets as a maintenance loan
    Remember that maintenance loan is only during term time - the summer term ends in mid June. What were his plans for the summer in regards to living/working? Uni accommodation also doesn’t cover the summer unless you’re renting privately. I’d suggest that he pays his way with a contribution to his share of the bills/wifi/food, but maybe not rent. If his plan was to work during the summer in order to pay his rent, then it is likely that he will not be able to get a job now, and so it’s unfair to charge him money if he cannot reasonably earn it.