An official Usborne Books thread....

Options
domestic_goddess
domestic_goddess Posts: 1,044 Forumite
edited 13 October 2009 at 9:14PM in Boost your income
Is there an official Usborne book sellers thread on here? I have done a search and there are loads of different threads but not one main one like some of the other things have.

I have just joined Usborne and I think it would be a fantastic resource to have all of the different ideas and questions in one place.

If there is one already and I have missed it (I'm easily confused;)) could some one please point me in the right direction as I have loads of questions to ask :D

I haven't got my starter pack yet but I am dying to get started..... I was thinking about doing a community book pledge for my kids school and I was wondering how you go about this.

Also, what are flying starts?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Caroline73_2
    Caroline73_2 Posts: 2,654 Forumite
    Options
    Hasn't your upline given you all this information?

I think a thread for sharing ideas is great but it shouldn't be a substitute for your upline help.

Flying Starts are the incentives offered to all new organisers during their first 12 weeks. You MUST complete step 1 within 3 weeks of joining if you are to do FS 2, 3 and 4. But they aren't compulsory.
  • wendyphant
    wendyphant Posts: 1,351 Forumite
    Options
    We are just about to do our first ready steady listen with 4 schools hope it goes well x x
    :happyhear YUMMY MUMMY TO HENRY BEAR AGED 10:happyhear
    slimming world need to get back to target 25lb to go
    Disney World here we come May 2018:j
  • domestic_goddess
    Options
    Hi

Its not a substitute, I just got in from work a bit late last night and I was having a look round the threads on here and had a few questions. It was a bit late to ring my upline (who has been lovely) with my queries so I thought I would ask on here as there seemed to be some very helpful answers to previous posts. Thanks for answering about the flying starts though. :beer:

I am really looking forward to getting into it and can't wait to recieve my starter pack and I am going to try and find out about any christmas fayres in the area today. I know they can get booked up well in advance though so fingers crossed I can get in to some.
  • honey28
    honey28 Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hi
    I am also very interested in joining Usborne, initially to make some money for Christmas and then see where it leads to. Can I ask a (silly and probably obvious) question? Is your upline the person that you sign up under? How does this work, do they earn money for "recruiting" me? If they are the people who offer you guidance etc would it be better to join under someone with experience? If in turn then I recruit say a friend, do I earn from that?
    Thanks in advance for your help.
  • Caroline73_2
    Options
    Hi

Its not a substitute, I just got in from work a bit late last night and I was having a look round the threads on here and had a few questions. It was a bit late to ring my upline (who has been lovely) with my queries so I thought I would ask on here as there seemed to be some very helpful answers to previous posts. Thanks for answering about the flying starts though. :beer:

I am really looking forward to getting into it and can't wait to recieve my starter pack and I am going to try and find out about any christmas fayres in the area today. I know they can get booked up well in advance though so fingers crossed I can get in to some.

If an event is booked, as if they can keep your details in case the other person cancels. Make sure you hold a party for yourself too! Do that one early as it will usually cover your FS1, and put you ahead for FS2/3/4.
  • Caroline73_2
    Options
    honey28 wrote: »
    Hi
    I am also very interested in joining Usborne, initially to make some money for Christmas and then see where it leads to. Can I ask a (silly and probably obvious) question? Is your upline the person that you sign up under? How does this work, do they earn money for "recruiting" me? If they are the people who offer you guidance etc would it be better to join under someone with experience? If in turn then I recruit say a friend, do I earn from that?
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Definietely not silly or obvious!

Your upline is the person that recruited you. You can choose one or be allocated one by head office. Your upline/recruiter is responsible for answering your questions and helping you along the way. They should give you as much or little support as you want. They don't get paid for recruiting you (despite what some ill informed people will tell you!)

The recruiter will earn a percentage of your sales (as long as they work too!) but this is paid to them by Usborne and does not affect your earnings - you would initially earn 24% of sales on every book.

Should you recruit a friend, Usborne will pay you a minimum of 6% of their sales. Your friend would still earn 24% of their sales.

If you want to join I would suggest speaking to a few Usborne organisers and seeing who you get on with, and who has the type of experience you think will work for you.

Good luck
  • keigcf
    keigcf Posts: 271 Forumite
    Options
    I struggled to sell usbourne books as they were so expensive, and people saw the book people selling the same books at a fraction of the price! Best advice is get into schools, you can find out which schools already have someone off the usbourne website, good luck
    Visit beautiful Mid Wales:j
  • domestic_goddess
    Options
    If a school already has someone, does that mean you aren't allowed to approach them. I was hoping to do a community book pleadge for my children's school but I don't know if they have someone already.
  • Caroline73_2
    Caroline73_2 Posts: 2,654 Forumite
    Options
    It is great to get into schools, but you can approach any schools you want to do. The schools allocation list no longer exists as it was detrimental to how we worked. Someone would allocate themself a school but not follow it up.

When I contact a school I just ask if they are in contact with someone as a matter of courtesy. Go for your Book Pledge DG (if I may call you that) it will be good publicity for you and great towards your Flying Starts.

I've been selling over 3 years and I never have any trouble selling. I always sell at RRP. If Book People have a book cheaper I don't display it. We often have sets the same or even cheaper than the Book People.

Having said that, I was at an event two stands away from the Book People, both selling Phonics sets. The BP agent offered to take his off display for me but I knew I would sell mine well. I offered them with the Phonics Flashcards and I could talk to the people about Phonics and how to use them with early readers.
  • honey28
    honey28 Posts: 1,546 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Another Silly question ;) (i'm on form today!!)

What is a book pledge??
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure