IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

Park With Ease Threatening To Enhance CCTV Footage & Refusing To Remove My Keeper Data

Options
nataliek5
nataliek5 Posts: 31 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
edited 28 April 2020 at 4:32PM in Parking tickets, fines & parking
Hiya, I have read the newbies thread and although I've found some similar cases I can't see any regarding CCTV.
I have followed all advice on this thread however I made the mistake of contacting the debt collectors Equita before I found this site. 
Like many others, I have been threatened by Equita saying they will take me to court in 10 days if I do not pay £110. 
The offence relates to my car entering a car park in July 2017 and leaving 1 hour later. 
I did not receive any communications from Park With Ease - my first contact was from Equita last week (April 2020).
I phoned Equita as soon as the letter arrived as I was scared (I know now that I shouldnt have) but I said I was unaware of ever being at that location and have no idea who the driver was. Equita said to contact Park With Ease which I did. They sent CCTV photos of my car entering and exiting and said I need to continue speaking with Equita. I said they need to remove my data from their system and ask Equita to stop contacting me as I am not liable and they have no proof that I am. 
They said that they have noted my comments but will "continue to pursue the matter", and that they will have the CCTV footage enhanced should I decide to take this to court.
I am slightly worried about being taken to court as I am currently in the process of buying a new house (once the lockdown is over we can have the survey carried out and mortgage approved).... 
I'm wondering if anyone else has ever been taken to court by Park With Ease and whether they have had enhanced CCTV footage used against them in court. I do not know who was driving my car at the time (I've never even heard of Brockholes in Preston) but I'm worried this might affect someone???  Also are they allowed to keep my data even though they have no evidence of who the driver was?
Thank you for your help

Comments

• D_P_Dance
    D_P_Dance Posts: 11,504 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options

Nine times out of ten these tickets are scams, so consider complaining to your MP, it can cause the scammer extra costs and work, and has been known to get the charge cancelled.

Parliament is well aware of the MO of these private parking companies, many of whom are former clampers, and on 15th March 2019 a Bill was enacted to curb the excesses of these shysters. Codes of Practice are being drawn up, an independent appeals service will be set up, and access to the DVLA's date base more rigorously policed, persistent offenders denied access to the DVLA database and unable to operate.

Hopefully, when life gets back to normal, it will become impossible for those scammers who are left to continue their vile trade, but until this is done you should still complain to your MP, citing the new legislation.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2019/8/contents/enacted

Just as the clampers were finally closed down, so hopefully will many of these Private Parking Companies.

You never know how far you can go until you go too far.
  • nosferatu1001
    nosferatu1001 Posts: 12,961 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    As long as you pay up within one month of any judgement, being taken to court is nothing to be concerned about. At all. 

No CCJ on your record, IF you get taken, IF you lose, and IF you then pay up quickly. 
    I assume youve actually been shown ANPR images of the front and rear of the car? If so, !!!!!! all to enhance. Theres no stream. Just those images youve seen. 
    Why havent you received any documentation> Is your V5 correct and up to date fro mthe time? Have you moved? Check, dont assume.
  • nataliek5
    Options
    Hi All
    Thanks for your replies. I have taken all your comments and advice on board. I will let you know if I get anywhere.

I do not believe the photos are CCTV and I don't think anyone has had CCTV photos or video used in court
    Did they actually say CCTV ????   The cameras used by parking scammers are ANPR which capture the front of the car on entry and the rear on exit .... still pics, not a movie.
    I assume youve actually been shown ANPR images of the front and rear of the car? If so, !!!!!! all to enhance. Theres no stream. Just those images youve seen. 
    Sorry the "CCTV" was my mistake, I'm not great with the lingo here, PWE have just used the word "images". Can these ANPR images be used in court? You cannot see the driver however they have said "We do have images of the vehicle entering the site and should we need to we may choose to get the images enhanced in order to present them as evidence in court should you choose to allow the matter get that far." I do find this hilarious though, as clearly I would never choose to go to court - it's them that would make the decision. Are you sure that the images cannot be enhanced? You cannot see the driver in the images as the light is shining on the windscreen.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Yes they are probably anpr camera images

Yes they can and do use these images in court

It is unlikely that they will do a CSI like McGhee and match up faces (facial rec)

• MothballsWallet
    MothballsWallet Posts: 15,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Redx said:
    Yes they are probably anpr camera images

Yes they can and do use these images in court

It is unlikely that they will do a CSI like McGhee and match up faces (facial rec)

*Ahem* McGee is NCIS, you're thinking of Laurence Fishburne or Ted Danson.

Your point still stands: OP, ANPR cannot do facial recognition as the cameras point to where the registration plate is on the vehicle, no higher.
  • Redx
    Redx Posts: 38,084 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 29 April 2020 at 4:09PM
    Options
    Yes I know but I didn't know the CSI geeks so substituted McGhee because he does it , as does Eric and Nell in ncis la

Everyone s a critic , lol
  • nataliek5
    Options
    You can see the whole of the car on the image though... just the windscreen has a light reflection on it??
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback