🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Diary of a reformed shopaholic (I hope)

Options

Comments

• Sarahwithlove
    Options
    Good to have him home maybe you can work on him whilst he's home to get him into the debt free mindset. 
    *Dad loan - £5300 - £1700
    *Virgin Credit Card - £3552.50 - £0
    *Barclaycard - £0

*Total debt - £1700*

*Sinking Fund - £2000/£3000*
    *Emergency Fund -£50/£2000

*Debt Repayments Pot - £0/0*

New diary- https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6474943/the-three-cs-coffee-clothes-credit-cards/
  • shoppingobsessed2020
    Options
    Seem to be getting there with him, did a supermarket shop for the weekend and he had a fit at how much it was costing.  Wasn’t that big a shop either. Rejigged it and he is going to take over most of the cooking during the week which means a huge butcher shop but will mean I only need a supermarket delivery once every few weeks as we get veg and fruit delivered.  

Courses have been paid for so far we are at 2k on his lloyds credit card plus £1750 from my balance transfers and both overdrafts have been cleared today which is good.

had a finance rejig as well.  Still got accommodation of approx £600 plus food to pay for and one more course of unknown cost as yet,  could be £300 or could hit 1k depending where he gets in to do it as might need a hotel for a couple of nights.  It shouldn’t hit more than 1k which is worst case senario.

So plan for this month is my wages pay for the remainder of the funds needed for the joint account to ensure it doesn’t go back into overdraft and then cover my Barclaycard and next account minimum plus slightly more payments.  Should have £600ish spare but no funds gone to emergency pots this month so I’m going to throw it at his Lloyd’s card to reduce some of the balance as he won’t get his bonus till end of november and that’s going straight to the Lloyds card and then throwing what’s left at my next account.

next month back to normal budgeting with monthly pots, have car insurance due at end of December for both cars so will be having a bit of a juggle but shouldn’t need to card anything as should have £400 towards it plus what I raid from extra debt payments.

feeling positive about everything as his lordships mental health is not where I expected it to be after such a long trip and he is already studying for his captains ticket and is finding it interesting which is half the battle.  He isn’t yet up to using his gym but is happy for the space ive claimed to do my stuff.  5am I was in there this morning!  

Still loosing weight and having a conversation with my surgeon re being peg fed but doing what I can to avoid that as I really don’t want to go that route but if I can’t stabilise my weight then I won’t have a choice.  I’m now on fortnightly calls with the team as the weight loss has slowed but I’m still loosing.  I eat less than a toddler due to various ops I’ve had so it’s not hard to see why I’m loosing weight especially as anything high on sugar makes me ill.  Despite the weight loss working out is non negotiable I need it and he’s happy for me to do what I’m doing as it’s building strength rather than cardio to loose weight as I don’t want to loose my strength.  

updated goals for the next few months sre

Clear Lloyd’s credit card 
    pay for car insurance without using credit card
    Clear my next account
     Balance transfer mbna card to Lloyd’s card if still offering decent transfer rate (checked earlier today and it was 2years interest free plus 3.5% balance transfer) 
    Then work on paying off mbna card.

Think that’s enough to be getting on with, would love if by next summer I could just have the 2 x Barclays cards to pay off plus car loans and loans.  

• Sarahwithlove
    Options
    Sounds like you have a good plan in your head I hope it works out for you. Sounds like being home and seeing how much everything is costing is good for him. Let's hope it stays that way. How long will he be home for? 
    *Barclaycard - £0

*Total debt - £1700*

New diary- https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6474943/the-three-cs-coffee-clothes-credit-cards/
  • Drawingaline
    Options
    Just imagine what hole you would be in if you hadn't out all the hard work in recently! You have done amazingly, and it will rub off on him a bit, it's taken years, but my hubby is much more stable with money now, he has savings for the first time ever. 

Let's hope it continues and that he carries on enjoying the studying. 
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
  • shoppingobsessed2020
    Options
    Been a nice few days.  Debt has had to increase, not going into the reasons why apart from to say it’s to make an elderly grandparent more comfortable but both his lordship and I agree that the situation we are in can handle another few hundred on a credit card and a grocery increase in budget.

todays plan is a local historic site and walk round the gardens then maybe a pub lunch as we have little in the house for lunch as I didn’t get anything organised.
  • Sarahwithlove
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear that, hope everything is OK. Working in adults health and care i can only imagine what's happening. If you need someone to talk to about it or have any questions about where to go for potential support feel free to dm me. I hope it all sorts itself out. 
    *Barclaycard - £0

*Total debt - £1700*

• shoppingobsessed2020
    Options
    Thanks @Sarahwithlove I’m also now in that industry, I’m more on the periphery but the offer of help is much appreciated.

all I’ll say is it’s a good thing his lordship didn’t marry a pushover.  I’ve just had a standing up argument with his parents over the phone and been told to butt out, so I’m now off to sprinkle some more magic with the help of my credit card till we can sort out a more permanent solution via courts of protection.  He’s on the phone to social services getting her a social worker as the situation calls for it and will get it sorted.  She’s above the threshold so will need to pay but that’s absolutely fine but it’s the reason his parents are not wanting the help as it will reduce inheritance.  Selfish gits!

she is looked after don’t get me wrong but this is financial abuse and I’m not standing for it.  Fridge full of the cheapest of cheap foods when previously she shopped at m&s.  Heating controls set on timer that isn’t suitable for a lady in her 90s.

today's plan is now arranging internet and hive heating and ring doorbell so we can make sure she is warm when we are not there!
  • Sarahwithlove
    Options
    Good for you sticking up for her sadly if no one else is gonna do it then I agree it's good that you are. Just a shame like you said that you're having to use your money when it's apparent she has some of her own. I hope you manage to get things sorted out for her. 
    *Barclaycard - £0

*Total debt - £1700*

• shoppingobsessed2020
    Options
    We have just undone all the hard work I’ve put in over the past few months in a couple of weeks.  For the benefit of a family member so I’m not that concerned but I’m still annoyed with myself that we didn’t have the cash and had to card it.  Highly unlikely we will get it back but as it’s improved her standard of living I don’t care.

debt balances stand currently as follows

barclays (his) 4700 (limit 8k)
    lloyds 3500 (limit 6.5k) 
    next £1500 (limit 7k)
    my Barclays 6300 (limit 6650)
    mbna 13k (limit 30k)
    tsb 900 (1k limit)
    joint overdraft -800
    plus 2 x loans and 2 x car payments 

Previous debt in august was below.
    Unsecured Debts[/b]
    Description....................Debt......Monthly...APR
    His barclays...................5014......120.......0
    His lloyds.....................2990.66...300.......0
    Lloyds loan....................15511.9...449.......0
    Debenhams......................175.......175.......0
    Next...........................1800......120.......0
    My barclays....................6000......160.......0
    Loan 2.........................13747.....362.......0
    Mbna card......................9000......300.......0[b]

So debt has increased by 6k ish.  I get paid £1600 on Wednesday so that will clear joint account overdraft and bills still to come out plus minimum payments on next and my Barclays.

it’s a set back but the Lloyd’s card will be clear at the end of November and his courses are almost all paid for.  Just one to do which is the unknown but the rest of his bonus money that’s paid in November will cover that.

debt wise I don’t think anything really increases bar the mbna minimum payments so I’ll juggle that and even though it’s increased we still look to be on track to be debt free by December 2022 so not bad.  Ideally I want to get that down to summer 2022 so fingers crossed.  
  • Drawingaline
    Drawingaline Posts: 2,953 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    How frustrating, but glad you were able to help someone in need, and this also shows you what being debt free could be like. The ability to help friends and family in trouble without worrying about it is a wonderful place to be. You will get there.
    Debt free Feb 2021 🎉
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport