Forum Home» Disability Money Matters

PIP 50% car tax reduction - help!

New Post Advanced Search

PIP 50% car tax reduction - help!

23 replies 1.2K views
melburymelbury Forumite
13.1K posts
Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
✭✭✭✭✭
My OH gets standard PIP mobility which entitles him to a 50% reduction in the cost of car tax.  This is now due to be applied for as his tax runs out at the end of the month.

I have just checked the DVLA website and it says not to send in any paperwork.  How can we get the car taxed without sending in all of the original documents that they always want to have sight of every year?

It also says not to phone them unless you are directly involved in the nation's response to COVID-19 as they only have a limited number of staff working there.

Is anyone else in this position?  I don't know who to contact to find out exactly what I should do.
Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

Replies

• JusticeformeJusticeforme Forumite
    167 posts
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Hi I am I'm the same position.  So I hope we get a reply.  I did try phone, told me to retry again later, high volume of calls.
  • melburymelbury Forumite
    13.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suppose if nobody knows how to get around this, we will just go ahead and renew the tax online paying the full amount and hope we can claim the 50% back later on.  Not ideal, but don't want the tax to lapse.

167 posts
    Give it a while someone may come along with an answer.
  • melburymelbury Forumite
    13.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give it a while someone may come along with an answer.
    Not looking good!

• cantcopecantcope Forumite
    1.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭✭
    melbury said:
    I suppose if nobody knows how to get around this, we will just go ahead and renew the tax online paying the full amount and hope we can claim the 50% back later on.  Not ideal, but don't want the tax to lapse.
    I'm sure you should be able to. If the vehicle is registered as disabled he should only be paying 50% online anyway? I had to renew mine online at a cost of 0.00. Have you tried to see what its charging online?
    Last bet : 26th Oct 2006:j Debt free 25th Feb 2008:j Living "my" dream:T
    167 posts
    Hi I have just posted this question under Motoring due the lack response.
  • born_againborn_again Forumite
    3.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi I have just posted this question under Motoring due the lack response.
    I think you get even less of a response there than here.
    Have you tried "cantcope" idea? As it should remember last years payments.

I'm sat on full car tax. As We got the pip giving 50% last month, but are awaiting a MR. So did not want to use it as am looking for Motorbility car :)
    Now been told it will be 10 week wait and at the moment even if it did come back increased, no chance of a car.
    On my way to retirement. Thanks to Covid 19. 
    167 posts
    cantcope said:
    melbury said:
    I'm sure you should be able to. If the vehicle is registered as disabled he should only be paying 50% online anyway? I had to renew mine online at a cost of 0.00. Have you tried to see what its charging online?
    Well I did try what you suggested but car tax came as up 0 which is not correct.
  • edited 9 April at 3:33PM
    whizzywoowhizzywoo Forumite
    432 posts
    100 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    edited 9 April at 3:33PM
    cantcope said:
    melbury said:
    The 50% discount can't be renewed online, unlike if you get the full 100% discount on road tax.  It's always been send all the documents in by post and it takes ages for them to process it.  It took them all their time to do it when there was no Corona Virus so goodness knows how the DVLA will cope with it now.  We've just paid the full road tax this time because there is enough stress as it is at the moment.
    "All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of thing shall be well."  :) 
  • edited 9 April at 8:18PM
    melburymelbury Forumite
    13.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 April at 8:18PM
    whizzywoo said:
    cantcope said:
    melbury said:
    The 50% discount can't be renewed online, unlike if you get the full 100% discount on road tax.  It's always been send all the documents in by post and it takes ages for them to process it.  It took them all their time to do it when there was no Corona Virus so goodness knows how the DVLA will cope with it now.  We've just paid the full road tax this time because there is enough stress as it is at the moment.
    I have always thought it is a totally ridiculous way of doing it.  I don't see why you have to send in the original documents every single year if you are still entitled to PIP and have not changed your motor vehicle, after all it is easy enough for the DVLA to see who that vehicle is registered to on their system.  Then we could just send in the payment with copies of the documents; I just don't see what the problem would be with that.  In fact we could even send them a BACS payment for 50% of the tax and then scan and email the copy documents to them - that would be simple, fast and much more efficient.