New Post Advanced Search

Bread Flour

101 replies 7.4K views
DobiesmonDobiesmon Forumite
499 posts
Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
✭✭
Wanting to buy bread flour anyone know who has some in or a mill will sell on line please let me know.

Replies

• SocajamSocajam Forumite
    1.1K posts
    1,000 Posts Second Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    I am trying to find chickpea flour and seems as if everyone if of the same mind.
  • od244051od244051 Forumite
    545 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭
    Here's why the flour is short at the moment. The flour sold in 500g and 1kg bags in supermarkets is only 4% of the flour produced. Vast majority goes to scratch bakeries and commercial https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-52212760
  • pumpkin89pumpkin89 Forumite
    266 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    There was loads in my local Waitrose last night (strong white bread flour only, not the full assortment).  Supermarkets are getting deliveries as normal, but it's selling much quicker than normal.
  • edited 9 April at 10:59PM
    scottishminniescottishminnie Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 9 April at 10:59PM
    I got some last week at my local bakers. They are not advertising but happy to help by selling some if you ask, should make clear it’s an independent baker.
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
  • MurphybearMurphybear Forumite
    5.7K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    We bought some yesterday from a local shop that is part of an independent catering suppliers.  It opened a few months ago before the coronavirus outbreak.  

What I find interesting is that in the 2 supermarkets I visit there has been no shortage of bread or bread products so I am intrigued as to what everyone is using the bread flour for.  
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    23.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is probably all sitting in the cupboards of those stupid hoarders who will not have a clue what to do with it.  It is also difficult to buy a bread maker at the moment, again likely all sitting unused up and down the country. 
  • p00hsticksp00hsticks Forumite
    8.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭

What I find interesting is that in the 2 supermarkets I visit there has been no shortage of bread or bread products so I am intrigued as to what everyone is using the bread flour for.  
    Making bread, presumably!
    Personally we're trying to limit our trips out as much as possible - to once a fortnight or less.
    And immediately after we've been shopping we don't have much spare room in the freezer.
    So at the moment we're buying a shop bought loaf when we go shopping, and then when that runs out after a week or so, using the breadmaker to make more bread to tide us over until we have to do a 'big shop' again.

• ClowanceClowance Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭
    no normal flour seems to be available either. Everyone baking?
    :j Don't forget quidco/topcashback - I do!:j
  • pumpkin89pumpkin89 Forumite
    266 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    Baking is also quite a cheap way of entertaining children who are stuck indoors.
  • Steve_LSteve_L Forumite
    337 posts
    100 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭
    The situation is complicated, but familiar to anyone who's studied economics. As above, the overwhelming majority of flour goes via commercial bakeries to the catering industry. Restaurants, etc. are closed. The demand for flour for bread is a lot smaller. So, there's lots more unsold flour for us home bakers? Sorry, no. The supply now far exceeds demand, and the price has plummeted. It now isn't worth the distributors buying more than the demand for bread dictates. 
    "Life is much/far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it." Oscar Wilde, in "Vera; or, The Nihilists” (much), then "Lady Windermere's Fan" (far).