🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Martin Lewis: Working from home due to coronavirus, even for a day? Claim TWO years' worth of tax re

Options

Comments

• mattyprice4004
    Options
    Stearns2 said:
    I have been at work as normal throughout this entire period; normal petrol costs, wear & tear on the car; normal insurance; time taken for commute..... meanwhile, I’m becoming increasingly irked by hearing from friends and colleagues who have been at home telling me gleefully how much they’ve saved on fuel, insurance breaks, extra time to do household activities, etc, and now they may be able to claim a tax rebate too!! TO THOSE WHO HAVE  IT SHALL BE GIVEN is the phrase that comes to mind - this is actually really unfair!!! What do others think? 😡😡😡
    They're getting the price of a McFlurry back per week, I wouldn't let it raise your blood pressure too much. :) 
  • Socajam
    Socajam Posts: 1,238 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Stearns2 said:
    I have been at work as normal throughout this entire period; normal petrol costs, wear & tear on the car; normal insurance; time taken for commute..... meanwhile, I’m becoming increasingly irked by hearing from friends and colleagues who have been at home telling me gleefully how much they’ve saved on fuel, insurance breaks, extra time to do household activities, etc, and now they may be able to claim a tax rebate too!! TO THOSE WHO HAVE  IT SHALL BE GIVEN is the phrase that comes to mind - this is actually really unfair!!! What do others think? 😡😡😡
    I think just like you, it's sheer greed and will return to haunt all those rushing to claim this amount.
    Come next year, there will be a different threat about how much taxes we are paying and the increases have wiped out what the work from home people are claiming.  These are the same people whose transport costs have decreased substantially, even if one takes into account the cost of electricity and heating.
    We are in for a huge shock from both Central Government and Local Authorities when the time comes to finalize their budgets for 2021 - folks just make sure that you save up this tax rebate, you are going to need it.
  • smk77
    smk77 Posts: 3,681 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Stearns2 said:
    Yes, there has been some financial advantages for those working from home but at what cost? Plenty of people I know have comments on the money they're saving but have also mentioned the impact on their mental health and job concerns. In the early stages of lockdown the people you refer of were (or should have been) locked up in their homes for the vast majority of the week. That's extremely difficult for those who aren't used to spending their non-working time watching box set after box set. 

People talk about the potential impact of covid on suicide rates. It happened after 2008 and will undoubtedly happen again. I bet that few of those that take their lives will be the ones who have worked throughout because their jobs are more secure than those who have been furloughed and quite likely those "key workers" with lots of job security. Many of those who have been able to work from home will feel the financial impact later on. I wouldn't be surprised if this time next year, some of those who have been gleeful will be out of work whilst you continue with your job. 

So, before you get too annoyed, come back in a year and you might have a different view.
  • smk77
    edited 17 August 2020 at 9:48PM
    Options
    Stearns2 said:
    They're getting the price of a McFlurry back per week, I wouldn't let it raise your blood pressure too much. :) 
    My wife gets nothing. She works part time and earns below the tax threshold. Her employer pays no expenses and she walks to work so isn't saving anything financially and only saves an extra 7 minutes commute each day. Her laptop and monitor don't power themselves. Whilst the cost is peanuts at the moment the winter months will result in a significant increase in fuel bills. Fortunately, my £1.60 a week can go towards the extra £10 or so a week in heating what would otherwise have been an empty house.
    If she lived alone working from home would prove to be most costly. Isn't that really unfair that some people on very low incomes are actually out of pocket if they're asked to work from home.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    smk77 said:
    Stearns2 said:
    My wife gets nothing. She works part time and earns below the tax threshold. Her employer pays no expenses and she walks to work so isn't saving anything financially and only saves an extra 7 minutes commute each day. Her laptop and monitor don't power themselves. Whilst the cost is peanuts at the moment the winter months will result in a significant increase in fuel bills. Fortunately, my £1.60 a week can go towards the extra £10 or so a week in heating what would otherwise have been an empty house.
    If she lived alone working from home would prove to be most costly. Isn't that really unfair that some people on very low incomes are actually out of pocket if they're asked to work from home.
    Surely the employer should be the one contributing in this case?  They're saving money by not having your wife in the office.
  • smk77
    Options
    smk77 said:
    Stearns2 said:
    Surely the employer should be the one contributing in this case?  They're saving money by not having your wife in the office.
    you'd think so but I think most employers are highlighting that employees can claim from HMRC. It doesn't really seem to have been covered on here.
  • Lottie808
    Options
    My company began mandatory homeworking in March. From 1st Sept we'll be permitted to come into the office if we choose (eg struggling to work at home) but are strongly encouraged to continue working at home if possible - and I'm intending to stay home. Am I therefore eligible to continue claiming after 6th Sept? The change in company policy is based on the assumption that the majority of staff will stay home. To maintain safe social distancing we need a maximum occupancy of 40% so if most staff did decide to come in then they'd have to change the policy. (my company isn't paying expenses for homeworking so I'm only claiming the tax back).
  • L123
    L123 Posts: 77 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello, I have been working from home since March (Company made this mandatory) however, I've just been made redundant with my final working day on 18th September. Am I still able to claim back the £6 per week tax and if so, how should I go about doing this? Suggest going through my employer may not be the best idea however, the money would come in really helpful at the moment! Thank you in advance. 
  • cod3
    cod3 Posts: 805 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    I have been wfh full time since March.  My employer now says I should make it permanent as it has worked out well.  Suits me.

Will I be able to claim any tax relief as my work's offices are now open but I am choosing to wfh?  Is it coronavirus-specific tax relief or available to all PAYE homeworkers going forward to help with heating etc?

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    cod3 said:
    I have been wfh full time since March.  My employer now says I should make it permanent as it has worked out well.  Suits me.

Will I be able to claim any tax relief as my work's offices are now open but I am choosing to wfh?  Is it coronavirus-specific tax relief or available to all PAYE homeworkers going forward to help with heating etc?

No. If you choose to work at home you can't claim. See https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/working-at-home

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 6 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure