Martin Lewis: Working from home due to coronavirus, even for a day? Claim TWO years' worth of tax re

edited 13 April at 12:52PM in Martin's Blogs & Appearances & MoneySavingExpert in the News
452 replies 45.7K views

Replies

• edited 19 May 2020 at 10:30PM
    josiejosie Forumite
    3.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 19 May 2020 at 10:30PM
    Ironically, I work for a government department and we've been told to work from home for the foreseeable. When I raised about claiming this, I was told I couldn't because I'm not a "designated homeworker" and that I could potentially get into trouble if I did! Think I'll probably put it on my tax return anyway, as can't see how I can get into trouble when I've been told I must work from home?!
  • glider3560glider3560 Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    josie said:
    Ironically, I work for a government department and we've been told to work from home for the foreseeable. When I raised about claiming this, I was told I couldn't because I'm not a "designated homeworker" and that I could potentially get into trouble if I did! Think I'll probably put it on my tax return anyway, as can't see how I can get into trouble when I've been told I must work from home?!
    I was told exactly the same (I'm a civil servant).  Upon questioning, they said it was an "informal arrangement".  Asked whether I could return to the office then, and was told no.  Have got that in writing, so I can definitely claim through the tax return route (albeit at £2.40 per week, rather than the £6 our expenses policy permits).
  • geoffpfcgeoffpfc Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    When I was self-employed with a home office I was advised by my accountant to claim a flat rate of £20 per week, which iI dud for 25 years without any challenge by HMRC, this equates to £4 per week, which is greater than MSE advice, but less than from an employer, there doesn't appear to be any logic. I've advised my daughter to claim £30 pw which equates to the £6 as she also has to supply her own computer and 2 monitors.
  • glider3560glider3560 Forumite
    4.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    geoffpfc said:
    When I was self-employed with a home office I was advised by my accountant to claim a flat rate of £20 per week, which iI dud for 25 years without any challenge by HMRC, this equates to £4 per week, which is greater than MSE advice, but less than from an employer, there doesn't appear to be any logic. I've advised my daughter to claim £30 pw which equates to the £6 as she also has to supply her own computer and 2 monitors.
    If HMRC had asked you to prove the £20 costs, could you have done it?  Could you daughter prove £30 per week in increased costs?  £6 (or previously £4) is the level at which HMRC won't ask for proof.

The monitors and computers should be claimed as one-off expenses backed by a receipt, not taken weekly.
  • unforeseenunforeseen Forumite
    6.7K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    claim a flat rate of £20 per week, which iI dud for 25 years without any challenge by HMRC, this equates to £4 per week

Confused. Do you mean £20 per month?
    On the old rate it was either £4 per week or £18 per month
    New rates are £6 per week or £26 per month. 
  • Bellarino44Bellarino44 Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie

can anyone answer this? I received a small amount of child tax credits - if I apply for this will this effect my child tax credit payments?

many thanks!

• 50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭

can anyone answer this? I received a small amount of child tax credits - if I apply for this will this effect my child tax credit payments?

many thanks!

I would say no - since it is only claiming a "tax refund" - on income already dealt with by HMRC !
  • 50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember this is not a gain in income to you of £6 per week - this is effectively a tax refund on the tax paid on £6 per week
    If you are a basic rate tax payer - this equates to just £1.20 extra per week in your pocket  - hardly going to break the bank of montecarlo !!
  • tavtribetavtribe Forumite
    1 Post
    Tenth Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I have been working from home 2 days a week for several years can I claim for that time?
    and if yes should it be a separate claim?
  • jacdaviesjacdavies Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Great article from Martin as always. I wish he was in charge of HMRC !!! I'm trying to find out if the £6 p/wk allowance for staff working from home applies to those working less than 40 hrs a week. My staff work for a charity and each employee works varied hours.  How does the £6 per week allowance work if you don't work a full week? Any help gratefully received as HMRC as notoriously impossible to get hold of :) Stay safe everyone. Jac