Martin Lewis: Working from home due to coronavirus, even for a day? Claim TWO years' worth of tax re

edited 13 April at 12:52PM in Martin's Blogs & Appearances & MoneySavingExpert in the News
452 replies 45.6K views

Replies

• kaos21kaos21 Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Can anyone help with a question re uplift and deductions from UC? My employer also provides £90. This is for internet and utilites. Should/will this be deducted 60p in every £1 from UC as wages? 
  • milliesmum11milliesmum11 Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi - Just a quick question . Like a lot of employees I’m working from home at present . I’ve been using quite a bit of extra electricity etc but have been clearly advised I cannot claim anything either via HMRC or my employer as this cost of £6 a week is less than what I would pay to travel in work each week . Can anybody help with this ? 
  • edited 30 April 2020 at 1:27PM
    EducSupportEducSupport Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Post
    edited 30 April 2020 at 1:27PM
    jmfwilts said:
    I'm luck enough that my employer pays me £90 per month "Working from home allowance". This is taxable though. It is supposed to cover broadband and heating costs. After tax and NI it just about covers the cost. Can I still claim the £6 month tax relief as the £90 has been taxed?
    How can you possibly justify that ?
    Broadband costs, at the most £25 per month, and that is for personal use as well as business use
    Heating, at this time of year ?
    And you want an EXTRA £6 per month in tax relief ?...  come off it
    its £6 per week too by the way - not month

Besides - doesn't your attempt to defraud your energy supplier, cover your heating costs ?
    21 February 2006
    "Hi, my fixed rate with my gas & electric supply is about to come to an end. The cheapest supplier to move to would mean a 29% price rise. Could I tell my current supplier that my readings are higher than they actually are, and my new supplier the higher reading, and then when I'm with new supplier gradually bring down the readings to their true level. Could save myself £££££££s. Or is that fraud?"

• zagfleszagfles Forumite
    17.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Chutzpah Haggler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi - Just a quick question . Like a lot of employees I’m working from home at present . I’ve been using quite a bit of extra electricity etc but have been clearly advised I cannot claim anything either via HMRC or my employer as this cost of £6 a week is less than what I would pay to travel in work each week . Can anybody help with this ? 
    Who advised you? I don't see anything in the article relating to taking off commuting costs, AIUI if your employer requires you to work at home full time you should be able to claim the tax relief. That's my understanding from the article anyway. 

• renifer7renifer7 Forumite
    156 Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Posts
    Hi, I followed the advice and filled in a P87 and I am being asked by HMRC for a P11D which I obviously don't have.
    Does it make any sense to call them, or do I just leave it?

B)
  • Dazed_and_C0nfusedDazed_and_C0nfused Forumite
    5.1K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    There must be a reason why they have asked for a P11D.

Presumably they think you have some company benefit (car, medical insurance, van etc) and need to know the precise amount for 2019:20.

Or have you claimed for a different tax year?
    156 Posts
    There must be a reason why they have asked for a P11D.

Presumably they think you have some company benefit (car, medical insurance, van etc) and need to know the precise amount for 2019:20.

Or have you claimed for a different tax year?

Hi, I have claimed for 2019/2020 and have followed the advice on MSE regarding the specific situation of working from home. I have nothing else to claim that would warrant a P11D as I receive no such benefits from my employer.
    B)
    5.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    What was your tax code in 2019:20?

Have you checked your current years tax code on your Personal Tax Account?
    156 Posts

1170L, this year it's 1250L

B)
    5.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    renifer7 said:

1170L, this year it's 1250L

Check your Personal Tax Account, if it was reduced to 1170L due to a company benefit then that will be why HMRC want a P11d for 2019:20.

To be honest sorting out the company benefit angle might be worth a far bigger tax refund than any working from home claim.