Martin Lewis: Working from home due to coronavirus, even for a day? Claim TWO years' worth of tax re

edited 13 April at 12:52PM in Martin's Blogs & Appearances & MoneySavingExpert in the News
452 replies 45.5K views

Replies

• Scubachick7510Scubachick7510 Forumite
    3 Posts
    Second Anniversary First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    I’ve been working from home for 6 years due to company cutting costs to be able to expand. How do I claim for the years I knew nothing about this? The form is so complicated if given up until I saw your post on Twitter. Do I put the amount for each year as per advice for those working from home due to coronavirus? 
  • edited 13 April 2020 at 2:55PM
    50Twuncle50Twuncle Forumite
    10.8K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 April 2020 at 2:55PM
    Is it really necessary to do this via postal form ?
    I used LIVE CHAT a few years ago to get tax relief issues on health insurance sorted out ....
    only I can no longer find HMRC Live chat - has it gone ?
  • Dazed_and_C0nfusedDazed_and_C0nfused Forumite
    5K Posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    50Twuncle said:
    I used LIVE CHAT a few years ago to get tax relief issues on health insurance sorted out ....
    On a bank holiday in the middle of the current restrictions I suspect so.

Tomorrow may be different.
  • 50Twuncle said:
    bit busy with dealing with covid19 issues, and Brexit is still an issue as well, and aren't most people even entitled to a day off on a bank holiday?
    excuse the username, what I wanted wasn't allowed. It's just a song title...
  • JennieGJennieG Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Would anybody know please that if your employer pays you the £6.00 per week, but only due to the Covid 19 crisis as they are making us work from home, is the employer able to claim any of the £6.00 back from the HMRC? I can’t find anything that says they can? Thanks in advance 
  • paylesspayless Forumite
    6.9K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭
    JennieG said:
    Would anybody know please that if your employer pays you the £6.00 per week, but only due to the Covid 19 crisis as they are making us work from home, is the employer able to claim any of the £6.00 back from the HMRC? I can’t find anything that says they can? Thanks in advance 
    It’s classed as another business expense 
    Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as (financial) advice.
  • I_love_freebiesI_love_freebies Forumite
    4 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi, can anyone give advice please? My office closed at the end of March and to work from home I have had to buy a chair and a desk (two desks actually as I am suffering from a bad back and needed to change to a stand up one) so my question,  can I claim the tax back on these? Employer won't pay and it was about £200 altogether?
  • EducSupportEducSupport Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Post
    I am trying to claim this £1.20 per week, tax relief on my job as a school support worker (I am currently at home, training for next time, I am back at work) and discovered that Education / Schools are not even on the list of eligible professions.
    Does anyone know why and how I am supposed to claim this small comfort ?
  • jmfwiltsjmfwilts Forumite
    27 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    I'm luck enough that my employer pays me £90 per month "Working from home allowance". This is taxable though. It is supposed to cover broadband and heating costs. After tax and NI it just about covers the cost. Can I still claim the £6 month tax relief as the £90 has been taxed?
  • kaos21kaos21 Forumite
    3 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi, can anyone give advice please? My office closed at the end of March and to work from home I have had to buy a chair and a desk (two desks actually as I am suffering from a bad back and needed to change to a stand up one) so my question,  can I claim the tax back on these? Employer won't pay and it was about £200 altogether?
    Look at the DSE /reasonable adjustments policy and HSE website. Companies have to provide certain standards.