🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Martin Lewis: Working from home due to coronavirus, even for a day? Claim TWO years' worth of tax re

Options

Comments

• glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Has anyone heard back from HMRC on this yet? I sent in my claim for 2019/20 on 22nd April. It's showing as 'processed' on the government portal but I definitely haven't heard anything from them or had any refund. 
    If you don't do Self Assessment, then it is likely they will have to wait until your income tax for that year is fully calculated before offering the refund.  I think this takes a few months from April normally.
  • Skinnylegs_2
    Options
    I've been working at home since 2003 not through choice. However confused states not entitled & nowhere to give details like room for office only & obviously using way more power as only one home. Is there phone number i can call can't findone
  • beadyeyes19
    Options
    I have just had a letter that implied that I haven't actually paid enough tax in the last tax year and that technically I owe them a small amount. This cannot be the case because I'm a teacher and therefore my tax is all calculated already! 
    Initial 2 year fixed Mortgage (July 2019): £158,747 over 18 years. Overpaid £14,250 in Year 1, £13,400 in Year 2. Total mortgage reduced by £40,790 in 2 years. 

New Mortgage (five year fix at 1.81%): June 2021
    Current Balance (01/06/2021): £117,957 over 14 years. Total overpayment in 2021 of £13,850. Lapsed tracking! Total Owing November 2022: £100,513. February 2023: £97,535. April 2023: £88,739. July 2023: £87,481. August 2023: £85,512. November 2023: £83,053. 

Original End date: June 2039. Now June 2035. *GOAL* Mortgage Free by 2030.

• glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have just had a letter that implied that I haven't actually paid enough tax in the last tax year and that technically I owe them a small amount. This cannot be the case because I'm a teacher and therefore my tax is all calculated already! 
    Sometimes PAYE doesn't always calculate the figures correctly (e.g. if you get any benefits) or your tax code was wrong.

Post some figures (gross salary for the year, tax paid, tax code and any benefits) then people can provide some help.
  • newlease
    newlease Posts: 117 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    'If you normally do a self-assessment form, you can claim on it.' Where Martin?
  • julielacey
    Options
    I have just completed and submitted a P87 form online but now wish to amend the amount of my claim - how do I do that?
  • 50Twuncle
    50Twuncle Posts: 10,763 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have just completed and submitted a P87 form online but now wish to amend the amount of my claim - how do I do that?
    I would say that you need to phone them....

• missile
    missile Posts: 11,691 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You can submit a revised return online
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home :iloveyou:
  • Stearns2
    Options
    I have been at work as normal throughout this entire period; normal petrol costs, wear & tear on the car; normal insurance; time taken for commute..... meanwhile, I’m becoming increasingly irked by hearing from friends and colleagues who have been at home telling me gleefully how much they’ve saved on fuel, insurance breaks, extra time to do household activities, etc, and now they may be able to claim a tax rebate too!! TO THOSE WHO HAVE  IT SHALL BE GIVEN is the phrase that comes to mind - this is actually really unfair!!! What do others think? 😡😡😡
  • Fletchasketch
    Options
    Stearns2 said:
    I have been at work as normal throughout this entire period; normal petrol costs, wear & tear on the car; normal insurance; time taken for commute..... meanwhile, I’m becoming increasingly irked by hearing from friends and colleagues who have been at home telling me gleefully how much they’ve saved on fuel, insurance breaks, extra time to do household activities, etc, and now they may be able to claim a tax rebate too!! TO THOSE WHO HAVE  IT SHALL BE GIVEN is the phrase that comes to mind - this is actually really unfair!!! What do others think? 😡😡😡
    I agree, it is unfair on those who've had to commute through this. Only £1.20 a week though- don't let it get to you too much.
    May'18 DEBT FREE!

£6025 PB's: £1427 Nutmeg Pot: £51'174 Company Shares £512.09 InvestEngine £8.21 Freetrade £569.46 Stake
    £2457.92 TCB.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport