🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Martin Lewis: Working from home due to coronavirus, even for a day? Claim TWO years' worth of tax re

Options

Comments

• zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,363 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    L123 said:
    Hello, I have been working from home since March (Company made this mandatory) however, I've just been made redundant with my final working day on 18th September. Am I still able to claim back the £6 per week tax and if so, how should I go about doing this? Suggest going through my employer may not be the best idea however, the money would come in really helpful at the moment! Thank you in advance. 
    See link I've just posted above.

• cod3
    cod3 Posts: 805 Forumite
    First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee! Combo Breaker Name Dropper
    Options
    zagfles said:
    No. If you choose to work at home you can't claim. See https://www.gov.uk/tax-relief-for-employees/working-at-home
    Thank you for the info.  I will contact hmrc to give up my laundry tax allowance.  I am using the tumble dryer less now wfh so it's swings and roundabouts  :)
  • Puddingboy
    Options
    Hi there, as I have been working from home since the 18th of March, do I put in a claim for 2019/2020 and another claim for 2020/2021?
    Thank you
  • Colin_R_Day
    Options
    My first ever post.. hope it goes on ok. I’ve been WHF from April and from this week I’m back in the office 2 days p/w and work 3 days p/w at home. Shall I fill out the tax form now or wait until I’m back working in the office 5 days p/w? Thankyou for any help.
  • wallofbeans
    Options
    Hi All,
    I'm a little confused about this. I've been working from home since lockdown. I work PAYE at a university and have not been able to go to my workplace since lockdown, and doing all working from home. This might continue for a while. Do I ask the HR department of my employer for the £6 per week or do I go through HMRC?

• Fletchasketch
    Options
    My first ever post.. hope it goes on ok. I’ve been WHF from April and from this week I’m back in the office 2 days p/w and work 3 days p/w at home. Shall I fill out the tax form now or wait until I’m back working in the office 5 days p/w? Thankyou for any help.
    Welcome, Colin! The advice I received was to wait until the end of the tax year and then claim as you'll only know then how many weeks you worked from home and can't submit two claims. In terms of how many days constitutes working from home, I'm not sure and so will let someone else weigh in there. 
    May'18 DEBT FREE!

£6025 PB's: £1427 Nutmeg Pot: £51'174 Company Shares £512.09 InvestEngine £8.21 Freetrade £569.46 Stake
    £2457.92 TCB.
  • Fletchasketch
    Options
    Hi All,
    I'm a little confused about this. I've been working from home since lockdown. I work PAYE at a university and have not been able to go to my workplace since lockdown, and doing all working from home. This might continue for a while. Do I ask the HR department of my employer for the £6 per week or do I go through HMRC?

All depends on your HR dept- I think you can request it from them in the first instance, but the chances are they will redirect you to HMRC (as happened to me). 
    May'18 DEBT FREE!

£6025 PB's: £1427 Nutmeg Pot: £51'174 Company Shares £512.09 InvestEngine £8.21 Freetrade £569.46 Stake
    £2457.92 TCB.
  • Skinnylegs_2
    Options
    I've worked at home for years but each time i complete form to claim backdated from 2016 just states I'm paying the correct, which is not true. I wasted £15 trying to call HMRC never got to talk to anyone & not getting a reduced tax code.
    Please can anyone help. Much appreciated 
    Skinnylegs_2

• EVLIV
    Options
    Hello
    I have been working from home since the end of March, we have now been told this will be a permanent thing. I have read through the forum and now am wondering if I were to claim the £6 p/w (from beginning of April 2020), do I submit this now, or wait until the end of the tax year next year? MTIA
  • Dazed_and_C0nfused
    Options
    I've worked at home for years but each time i complete form to claim backdated from 2016 just states I'm paying the correct, which is not true. I wasted £15 trying to call HMRC never got to talk to anyone & not getting a reduced tax code.
    Please can anyone help. Much appreciated 
    Skinnylegs_2

What is your current tax code?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills