We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Travel refunds

Options
124»

Comments

• aksbat
    Options
    As the travel/airline companies are withholding our monies, without our consent, where we have rejected their vouchers and credit notes, should they not be paying us some interest on the withheld monies. I am sure the banks were forced to pay interest on PPI and other claims.
  • GinnyAH
    Options
    I should have been in Morocco today. 
    About 3 to 4 weeks ago I received an email from Ryanair advising the flight was cancelled and I could have a refund or credit note. I have since had 3 further emails advising this. I have asked for a refund and now I have been told that this will go into a money pool and it could be some time before we get our money back.
    The holiday was booked through Love Holidays who have made absolutely no attempt to contact me. They have not replied to messages and have taken away the contact telephone number, so no way of contacting them. All they say on the website is that as it was a package holiday they will issue a credit note valid until 31st July 2020.
    has anyone else had experience of this with love holiday?
  • agnes1970
    Options
    I also received a voucher having previously requested a cash refund. When I clicked the link to request a cash refund the form wouldn't accept my booking reference and flight number combination which only incensed me even more. So due to being unable to contact via chat, nor use the refund form, I was left with no other option but to lodge a general complaint asking for a cash refund.
    Vouchers are useless:
    - FCO say not to travel so no travel insurance will cover covid related problems
    - We have no idea when FCO policy will change (or whether the destination country will be allowing inbound flights)
    - if I accept the voucher, I'm basically accepting that the flight has been refunded 
    - if the airline goes bust then good bye voucher
    - Due to the Brexit fiasco we have no idea whether we'll still be able to fly beyond the end of the year

I am having the same problem with Easyjet (they may need to reconsider the 'Easy' part of their name). However their website has never enabled me to request anything other than a voucher or to change the flight. I have had no reply from them at all. Despicable. The way the airlines have handled this will not be quickly forgotten.
    Likewise I can't get through to my travel insurance company either so all in all I feel very let down.
  • Almondcake
    Options
    I wish I could add an air of positivity to this discussion, but really more same. Have managed to speak to Customer Care who have confirmed we are in the Q for a cash refund for 2 flights totalling £700, but this will only be refunded once the pandemic is over, unfortunately  I don't own a crystal ball! Hopefully collective and legal pressure from Ryan Air customers will make them revisit the situation.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 22 April 2020 at 3:20PM
    Options
    agnes1970 said:
    I also received a voucher having previously requested a cash refund. When I clicked the link to request a cash refund the form wouldn't accept my booking reference and flight number combination which only incensed me even more. So due to being unable to contact via chat, nor use the refund form, I was left with no other option but to lodge a general complaint asking for a cash refund.
    Vouchers are useless:
    - FCO say not to travel so no travel insurance will cover covid related problems
    - We have no idea when FCO policy will change (or whether the destination country will be allowing inbound flights)
    - if I accept the voucher, I'm basically accepting that the flight has been refunded 
    - if the airline goes bust then good bye voucher
    - Due to the Brexit fiasco we have no idea whether we'll still be able to fly beyond the end of the year

I am having the same problem with Easyjet (they may need to reconsider the 'Easy' part of their name). However their website has never enabled me to request anything other than a voucher or to change the flight. I have had no reply from them at all. Despicable. The way the airlines have handled this will not be quickly forgotten.
    Likewise I can't get through to my travel insurance company either so all in all I feel very let down.
    Sadly that's not true.  As soon as restrictions are eased, people will be scraping the web for the cheapest flights they can find, irrespective of name or history.
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,341 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Closing as multiple threads started.

This is the main thread

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6119054/travel-refunds#latest
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • MHE64210
    Options
    This is a classic Michael O'Leary cynical move.  I requested a cash refund and he sends you on a circular wild goose chase around the website, chatbots and call centre, hoping I assume that people give up or accept the vouchers.  More cynically he then hides behind an excuse of the customer call agents having to work from home.  His behaviour is born of an arrogant monopolistic mindset and that predates COVID-19 by a long way.  
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 22 April 2020 at 7:58PM
    Options
    MHE64210 said:
    This is a classic Michael O'Leary cynical move.  I requested a cash refund and he sends you on a circular wild goose chase around the website, chatbots and call centre, hoping I assume that people give up or accept the vouchers.  More cynically he then hides behind an excuse of the customer call agents having to work from home.  His behaviour is born of an arrogant monopolistic mindset and that predates COVID-19 by a long way.  
    And yet knowing that, you bought flights from him, despite him not actually operating a monopoly. 

Ever considered why he's so successful?
  • EveinLeics
    Options
    We have had a  ‘chat’ open on the RyanAir site for over 11 hours today - zero response. They have made it as difficult as possible to find how you are supposed to request the refund, and once you eventually navigate the maze, and get past the FAQs which answer nothing, there is still no response.
    Service very poor.
    Will contact credit card company tomorrow.
  • JE
    JE Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    I like many others have today been sent vouchers for cancelled flights for which I had requested refunds.  If you don't click on the link accepting the voucher (which I haven't) then in theory do Ryanair not need to refund you?  I have tried all the various links to obtain a refund but have given up for the moment in complete frustration at going round in circles!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure