We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Travel refunds

Options

Comments

• illingworth22
    Options
    Liz2702 said:
    I tried to get a cash refund, they gave me the run around but eventually sent a voucher. Said I could request cash, but would be placed in a queue. This queue would not be started on until AFTER the coronavirus pandemic has ended. Anybody's guess when that will be
    And I'll be damned if I can get an answer from the "Live Chat" which, by the way, is a bloody chatbot and not a live person!
  • dev006
    Options
    Liz2702 said:
    I tried to get a cash refund, they gave me the run around but eventually sent a voucher. Said I could request cash, but would be placed in a queue. This queue would not be started on until AFTER the coronavirus pandemic has ended. Anybody's guess when that will be
    And I'll be damned if I can get an answer from the "Live Chat" which, by the way, is a bloody chatbot and not a live person!

So true - the bloody chatbot doesn't reply. Aaargh
  • samkma
    samkma Posts: 129 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    #RefundPassengers trending on Twitter today.
    Join the campaign.
  • mcrterry
    mcrterry Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    By the time Ryanair start returning the money I suspect I’ll be booking flights again with them. I too would prefer a refund but coming round to the voucher idea. What I can’t find out is are they giving refunds/vouchers for full costs ie luggage seats etc or just the flight element? Equally if they go bust and we are covered same question full refund or just the flight itself?
    thanks 
  • leeskiramm
    Options
    Called Amex last night after getting a voucher email after applying for cash refund a little while ago. They instantly put the dispute through and it was closed almost immediately. Would advise you call you CC company if you can as it will save you a lot of hassle
  • accorian
    accorian Posts: 98 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    What a disgusting company Ryanair truly is. Hopefully, when things get back to normal, the new normality won't include Ryanair. Its lies and its cheating have already gone on long enough, as has its  blatant contempt for people stupid enough (in its opinion) to want to fly somewhere with it.

This latest scam -- because a scam is exactly what it is -- to willfully create confusion  over vouchers and refunds is typical of the lengths it will go thanks to a corporate mind-set in which no dirty trick is too dirty so long as it keeps top management on top salaries.

Hopefully, after this mess has been untangled, it will lose its CAA operating licence in the UK.
  • accorian
    edited 22 April 2020 at 12:15PM
    Options
    As no-one knows how long the COVID-19 virus might be in circulation, accepting any voucher from Ryanair for a flight at a future date is risky. Unless, of course, you know you're immune to COVID-19. Or you know, for certain, that a vaccine against it will be ready in a comparatively short time and you will be amongst the first in the queue to be vaccinated.
    If you don't have that certainty, then you don't have any certainty, either, that you won't become infected at a future date.
    If that is the case, you'll be unable to travel and will have to cancel your flight booking.
    Don't think your travel insurance will cover you for that because it won't. Insurers operating in the UK have made it pretty clear that any travel booking made AFTER March 23rd does not include cover for COVID-19.
    Deciding now -- as Ryanair desperately hopes you will -- to accept a flight voucher for a future date is, as far as the insurance companies are concerned, a decision to accept a known risk that you yourself might possibly be a COVID-19 victim when the time of the flight departure comes around -- and because you knowingly courted that risk, no way is the insurer going to reimburse you for the monies you've lost.

• accorian
    Options
    I have been asked several times by Ryanair and have told them every time I want a refund. I have a screenshot saying they have received my request. It’s just constant delaying tactics every time. I too then received vouchers yesterday at which point I was so angry I couldn’t speak- after all the forms I had already filled in and the length of time I have already waited for my refund. In the voucher email they refer you to a website to then ask again!! for your refund but there is no link to be able to do this when you get to the website. I tried calling and they said there were busy and there was no one to answer my call and to call back or go to the website. I tried via their chat facility but gave up after no one answered after several hours of waiting. I believe they are deliberately making it difficult and have never had any intention of giving anyone a refund.
    You're absolutely right. Ryanair has put together a carefully constructed attempt to delay and discourage. Its end game is to hang onto the monies it has already banked until central Government steps in and bails it out (dream on, Ryanair) or sets up some kind of taxpayer-funded Airline Passenger Relief Fund, from which Ryanair passengers can draw the monies they're owed whilst Ryanair sits contentedly atop the cash pile it has already amassed..
    The airline does not deserve to have an operating licence in the UK (it hasn't deserved to hold one for many a year.)
    This latest stunt serves only to highlight its unsuitability to be profiting from the skies above Britain.

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    accorian said:
    What a disgusting company Ryanair truly is. Hopefully, when things get back to normal, the new normality won't include Ryanair. Its lies and its cheating have already gone on long enough, as has its  blatant contempt for people stupid enough (in its opinion) to want to fly somewhere with it.

As long as the flight is cheap. Many people simply do not care. Saving money is the priority. If ethics were an issue. No one would buy anything made in China.......
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,562 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    mcrterry said:
    By the time Ryanair start returning the money I suspect I’ll be booking flights again with them. I too would prefer a refund but coming round to the voucher idea. What I can’t find out is are they giving refunds/vouchers for full costs ie luggage seats etc or just the flight element? Equally if they go bust and we are covered same question full refund or just the flight itself?
    thanks 
    My voucher refunds covered all the money I paid including seats and luggage extras. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.6K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.5K Spending & Discounts
  • 237K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.9K Life & Family
  • 249.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure