We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Travel refunds

Options

Comments

• Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,348 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    This explains the voucher system , backed by ABTA , which guarantees the value of the voucher even if the company goes bust. Read this about RCNs about half way down

https://www.abta.com/news/coronavirus-outbreak

I'm not saying vouchers are acceptable but purely what ABTA say
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,276 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    RYANAIR DEBACLE .... yes , I too am one of the VICTIMS of this unscrupulous bunch.... they keep offering Travel Voucher  for a flight that THEY cancelled , I want REFUND , they send emails still pushing  for me to accept Travel Voucher ,  I WANT REFUND.. when I follow links from email  to their Helpcentre , OR even the link posted on MSE ,  I get to the ROBOT ,  then NEVER get to "chat" to human ( even after a 3 hour with in the queue !!).. they say Refunds AFTER COVID-19 ( why ?) ... but there is absolutely NO WAY to further claim for refund... WE SHOULD ALL PUSH THE GOVERNMENT TO INSTRUCT THESE THIEVES TO PAY REFUNDS IMMEDIATELY... 
    You're going to get sore feet with all that stamping.

Have a read through the threads and see what your options are.
  • manucol
    Options
    yes all of above. Have complained to CAA
  • carolinestanfird
    Options
    I have been asked several times by Ryanair and have told them every time I want a refund. I have a screenshot saying they have received my request. It’s just constant delaying tactics every time. I too then received vouchers yesterday at which point I was so angry I couldn’t speak- after all the forms I had already filled in and the length of time I have already waited for my refund. In the voucher email they refer you to a website to then ask again!! for your refund but there is no link to be able to do this when you get to the website. I tried calling and they said there were busy and there was no one to answer my call and to call back or go to the website. I tried via their chat facility but gave up after no one answered after several hours of waiting. I believe they are deliberately making it difficult and have never had any intention of giving anyone a refund. This will backfire on them though as I for one will never book with them again as my customer confidence has gone. My family and I used to use them several times a year. Awful awful way to treat people when they need the money most.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,159 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    One of the biggest problems with contacting them is the size of their business.  Ryanair cancellations in April affect 14 million passengers. That's a lot of people to get in touch, at a time when their call centres are closed or at reduced capacity with staff working from home. 

Not defending them, not making excuses, it's just the reality of the situation. 
  • Mimi042020
    Options
    Hello, it happened the same to me, two days ago i received email giving me the voucher to use in the next 12 months, even when 25/03/20 their system advised that they would respond to my refund application within 20 days and then 5 days later the funds will reach my account.  I do want the money back that is why i asked for the refund in the first place.  i have now made the complaint ECCNET-UK@ec.europa.eu and they have already acknowledged it.  Ryanair should not get away with it, they should refund the moneys to everyone who has requested this.  We all need the money at this current time, they should make their own laws.... disgusting the way they are treating us, they get the money straight away and then they make impossible to get what is rightfully ours.  Miryam  
  • Jill_Cox
    Jill_Cox Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    edited 22 April 2020 at 9:48AM
    Options
    After a RyanAir cancelled flight from Malaga to Liverpool on 25 March, a month later following numerous calls I’m told, “You can request a cash refund however bear in mind we will place your request in the cash refund queue until the COVID-19 emergency has passed”.   I don’t want vouchers as I won’t be flying with this company again.  They took my booking and payment and less than 2 hours later the flight was cancelled!  
  • JGCL
    JGCL Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Both RyanAir and Gotogate promised a refund, but they have just sent me the offer of a voucher, unless I (again) ask for a refund, which is impossible to do as you can only speak to a Bot which can only answer general questions, or else give links that just go round in circles. i left the reply open for 30 hours but nothing happened. In comparison, I requested a refund ffom Stansted for parking two days ago, and i notice that this morning it is already credited to my credit card account. Where there is a will .... I understand that they are probably having a lot of clash flow problems BUT ...
  • Life__Goes__On
    Options
    bagand96 said:
    One of the biggest problems with contacting them is the size of their business.  Ryanair cancellations in April affect 14 million passengers. That's a lot of people to get in touch, at a time when their call centres are closed or at reduced capacity with staff working from home. 

Not defending them, not making excuses, it's just the reality of the situation. 
    As even before this aircraft do get cancelled  for whatever reasons, I think it highly unlikely that with the amount of flights Ryanair have this isn't done with a press of a button, rather than having to do it for each person. 
    So I see the issue of vouchers as a stalling tactic.

New User name as MSE gave me a number in my old one.
    " I am not a number! I am a free man!"

• SimonFully
    Options
    Like so many others my Ryanair flight was cancelled. I specifically applied  for a refund on 24 March, only to be offered a voucher on 20 April with no realistic way of claiming the refund I am entitled to. It was a one off trip that cannot be repeated and I have no plans to fly Ryanair in the next 12 months.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.5K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 610K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure