Price increases due to Covid 19 and/or shortages

Comments

• Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Rarely buy peppers but just bought 3 in a pack from Lidl  £1.35.
  • od244051
    od244051 Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Ken68 said:
    It was cheaper to buy 2 pack of pointy red peppers for 79p
  • od244051
    od244051 Posts: 1,054 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Noticed that the money off coupons that I get through the post for Tesco have stopped. Think last coupon I used was mid Feb. Normally get 3 weeks worth about 6/7 times a year. Same goes to family and friends that got them for Sainsburys. Though understand why.
  • Steve_L
    Steve_L Posts: 338 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 7 June 2020 at 2:58PM
    Ken68 said:
    ASDA £1.15. I tried Lidl for a while, but found that ASDA were still cheaper for what I wanted to buy. Probably my fault for wanting the wrong things.
    "Life is much/far too important a thing ever to talk seriously about it." Oscar Wilde, in "Vera; or, The Nihilists” (much), then "Lady Windermere's Fan" (far).

• jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Ken68 said:
    Same price at most supermarkets at the moment. Tesco has Nightingale Farms (value) peppers cheaper (99p I think) but they were tiny and odd sizes, the regular Tesco brand ones were £1.35.
  • MrsStepford
    MrsStepford Posts: 1,593 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    There are so many reasons for price rises. One is the classic Supply & Demand thing. If you don't have enough stock to meet demand, putting the price up, prices out some people, enabling the store to meet demand. 

People who were/are stockpiling or buying more and shopping less frequently, may well be buying the cheaper stuff first, so that sells out first. 

We can't grow rice in UK and we don't make pasta. Rice-producing countries may want to restrict exports to feed their own population. Pasta from Italy is running into transition period & coronavirus combined supply problems also. Italian tinned tomato wholesalers are saying that panic buying in Britain may mean that they run out of tinned tomatoes before the new crop arrives. I saw a 800g tin of San Marzano tinned tomatoes for 2.10 and not even organic ! When I can get them, I pay 70p - 82p for organic. 

Supermarkets are legally allowed to charge different prices in different towns. If you're poorer but in a wealthier area, you may be paying more than someone in a poorer area. Many supermarkets are picking from stores, so however far in advance you order, you only get what was instore on delivery day. Supermarkets are in some cases, shortening the editing cut off point, to try to manage stock control better. If everyone has rushed to buy pasta, only the most expensive can be left on the shelf. If you pay the original price for an expensive sub, great. If you have to pay the higher price, it isn't. 

If you live in a remote region you pay more. You pay more for produce when it's further from their distribution centres. My grandmother would buy apples from Kent in London, cheaper in her nearest Sainsbury's than my mother could buy Kent apples in a Sainsbury's branch in Kent. 

Brexit has caused prices to rise. Suppliers within the European Union may have priced in a no deal situation already, with increased Customs paperwork for them, because they work 6 months, a year or two years in advance. 

Before the EU referendum, 500ml of organic extra virgin olive oil was £2, since then 2.50, £3, 3.25 and 3.50 in some supermarkets. 

• Bacman
    Bacman Posts: 537 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Olive trees have been plagued by disease, so many crops are damaged, hence price of olives and therefore oil increased; less available, more demand equals higher prices on olive oil. As usual, comment on "blame it on Brexit" are unwarranted, we aren't even out of the EU transition yet, nothing as yet has changed. This will be different next year yes, but not now...
  • lalna
    lalna Posts: 24 Forumite
    First Post
    ASDA 1L juices were £1 each in March, £1.10 in April and have now just gone up to £1.25!
  • KellyLiam
    KellyLiam Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic
    Some products have lower price, others higher. I don't know what it depends of
  • mikb
    mikb Posts: 554 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Morrisons: Wonky Grapes, stable at 500g/£1 for some time have now shrunk to 400g/£1-- not subtle at all.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback