Forum Home» Food Shopping & Groceries

Price increases due to Covid 19 and/or shortages

New Post Advanced Search

Price increases due to Covid 19 and/or shortages

49 replies 7.2K views
peewhyeffpeewhyeff Forumite
943 posts
Seventh Anniversary 500 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
✭✭✭
I usually buy spuds in 2kg pack for 69p in Home Bargains. Called in on my way home from work on Monday and while the spuds section seemed to be plentiful, my usual pack were priced at £1.29 !!!
I've also noticed that other stores are moving products around are SELs  missing,   have already had a couple of surprises regarding prices at tills.  Be careful, check what you're  paying.

Replies

• 20aday20aday Forumite
    2.6K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I work for a retailer and it really annoys me when things get filled in the wrong place, especially when the product on the shelf is a higher price than the SEL reflects!
    I know we are temporarily de-ranging some products in our store as it's easier for our suppliers to make one particular product, than several, so I don't know why people don't just turn labels around and print off a new one for the product that's taken its place...
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
  • moleratmolerat Forumite
    23K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have noticed a lot of prices creeping especially in Asda & Tesco.  Same reason as to why they did not enforce some form of rationing earlier - more cash in the till !
  • scottishminniescottishminnie Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Local Coop (scotmid) - warburtons medium sliced white loaf. Two weeks ago was £1.15, last week £1.40, today £1.65. Still £1.05 in Asda. For a supposedly ethical company they are a disgrace.
    NO FARMS = NO FOOD
  • glennevisglennevis Forumite
    357 posts
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭
    molerat said:
    I have noticed a lot of prices creeping especially in Asda & Tesco.  Same reason as to why they did not enforce some form of rationing earlier - more cash in the till !
    Not so much creeping as leaping.
    Tesco's disingenuous approach is to cancel multi-buy promotions. As you can still buy 3 of each item I can't see how that ensures "more people have access to everyday essentials" as they claim.

• andygbandygb Forumite
    14.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Local Coop (scotmid) - warburtons medium sliced white loaf. Two weeks ago was £1.15, last week £1.40, today £1.65. Still £1.05 in Asda. For a supposedly ethical company they are a disgrace.

Our Co-op has been OK, but the Best One grocery shop has been racketeering, no mistake. A single leek was £1.99 in there the other day, Heinz baked beans £1.49 a tin.
  • suki1964suki1964 Forumite
    14.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its not just supermarkets prices going up, flights are being cancelled all over the world, the food chain is getting hit, prices rise

The UK improrts most of its food

Where I work we cant get aubergines for example and even the veg we do grow over here, we are paying between 10 - 30% more for. Obviously supermarkets have better prices because of the amount they purchase, but food prices are rising steeply
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
  • pumpkin89pumpkin89 Forumite
    247 posts
    100 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    There are no major availability problems for the food chain as a whole.  The issue for smaller buyers is that supermarkets are buying roughly 20% more fresh produce than normal (to satisfy customer demand) and, because of their scale, they will always get first pick.  That means less available for everyone else in the market.
  • Jlawson118Jlawson118 Forumite
    1.1K posts
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    molerat said:
    I think Asda has been slowly increasing its prices before all of this anyway. Which is a shame because it's always been one of the best supermarkets for fair prices!I kept going in for small bits during the week and ended up paying a fortune. Tried Morrisons and even the CoOp for these same bits and spent a lot less 
  • gettingtheresometimegettingtheresometime Forumite
    5.8K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭

I refused to buy a pack of peppers in Tescos as the price was £1.35 compared to 90p a fortnight earlier
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card / JD Williams cleared :) thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge