KLM issuing vouchers instead of refund

FarabFarab Forumite
5 Posts
First Post
MoneySaving Newbie
My flight with KLM was cancelled.  I'm assuming due to lack of passengers, due to coronavirus.  Instead of issuing me with a full refund to my credit card, they want to give me a voucher for the same amount to use within a year.  Can they do this?  By the time I get to book a flight again, the best deal might not be with KLM or KLM might not exist anymore.

Replies

• Alan_BowenAlan_Bowen Forumite
    4.3K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    No, they can't. The EU Commission issued a paper on Wednesday 18th March which makes it clear that if a flight is cancelled by the airline, then although they can offer a voucher, the customer can insist on cash. If you take the voucher the deal is done, so don't
  • Trotboy2kTrotboy2k Forumite
    1 Post
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    We have air tickets to Cape Town booked for next Saturday. The flights have not yet been cancelled, I suspect KLM are dragging their heels over cancelling in order to get customers to take vouchers, but as the OP said, we are unlikely to be able to travel before next Easter, by which time ticket prices could be much higher and KLM might be out of business. How long should we wait it out, or can we demand a refund now?
  • TELLIT01TELLIT01 Forumite
    11.3K Posts
    10,000 Posts Sixth Anniversary Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If flights haven't yet been cancelled I don't think you can demand a refund now.  You will have to wait until they cancel.
  • FarabFarab Forumite
    5 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Firstly, I was due to fly to Cape Town with KLM as well.  They cancelled the flight exactly a week before it was due, so you might find the same.
    Secondly, thank you for the replies.  You are correct.  They confirmed on the BBC Travel Show this morning that you're entitled to a cash (or back onto credit card) refund and you shouldn't except an offer of a voucher.
  • photomephotome Forumite
    15.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Farab said:
    Firstly, I was due to fly to Cape Town with KLM as well.  They cancelled the flight exactly a week before it was due, so you might find the same.
    Secondly, thank you for the replies.  You are correct.  They confirmed on the BBC Travel Show this morning that you're entitled to a cash (or back onto credit card) refund and you shouldn't except an offer of a voucher.
    Should that read you don’t have to accept a voucher. I think they may still try and offer one
  • FarabFarab Forumite
    5 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    "you shouldn't except an offer of a voucher."  so what they advised on The Travel Show was that if you are offered a voucher instead of cash refund, you should not accept it.  Of course you can still accept it if you really want to.
  • FarabFarab Forumite
    5 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    for clarification ... so what they advised on The Travel Show was that if you are offered a voucher instead of cash refund, you should not accept it.  You should insist on a cash refund, since that's what you're entitled to by law.
  • adbar66adbar66 Forumite
    2 Posts
    First Post
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Hi,
    So my flight to Mexico has just been canceled (well not strictly true, Birmingham to Amsterdam has been canceled but not Amsterdam to Mexico) I have just finally got through to KLM and I was told that it is their policy to issue a voucher or rearrange the flight. They do not issue cash refunds at this time. 
    I did say that i beleive legally that they have too but they were not having any of it. I didnt except the voucher and told them i was going to consider my options.
    Any ideas?
  • papitopapito Forumite
    358 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    I was in same situation and regrettable accepted the voucher however now thinking this voucher will be useless if KLM is to go bankrupt or else!!
    problem is klm is not answering phones or messages online email or social media
  • nementainementai Forumite
    164 Posts
    Part of the Furniture 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    Has anyone managed to actually find someone to talk to about this, or get a refund? I've been trying for weeks after KLM cancelled the first leg of my flight and not the second outward or return parts. They are refusing to give me a refund for the non cancelled parts and saying I can only have a voucher for the cancelled parts. Their words "you are not entitled to a refund". Only managed to get through to someone on Facebook who ended the chat when I pointed them at the law... Bit stuck on what to do now, as the complaint I sent in has been returned saying it's nothing to do with them.
    When we choose not to focus on what is missing from our lives but are grateful for the abundance that's present....we experience heaven on earth. Sarah Ban Breathnach