Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!

Comments

• dlevene said:
    dlevene said:
    Re. Mon BS. I received the form that also asked for a original or certified statement. I called them up, and when the rep saw that I'd paid one of the initial deposits by cheque, told me to note this on the form and that a statement wouldn't be required. The mandate ultimately went through fine without a statement. 

I do find it a slightly frustrating way of doing business but it did all get sorted out in the end. I think the advantage of the rather... quaint approach is that when you can get to the right rep they can do quite a lot. 

Nationwide, on the other hand... There's a problem with the current account switch in that their system didn't link it to my existing customer profile (I have my mortgage with them). They said they'd put it in the system, which would take 3-10 working days to resolve, and this is before we even get to the switch bonus or RS... 🤦🏽‍♂️

This is the joy of this particular hobby. But most hobbies don't *make* money

I should have also said - I did, very politely, tell MBS of my troubles, and they credited me with £25. I was reminded of this because Nationwide just called me (unprompted!) and offered me £75 as an apology for their issues!

So that's £100, on top of the switch bonus, on top of the interest from the rate tarting. Worth a bit off hassle in my opinion.
    When I asked them via secure message about other ways of approval instead of sending a statement (I also cited the cost for post office certify cost) I got a reply that they verified it online and it was approved. No forms or statements to be returned via snailmail. 
  • When does the lovely Monmouthshire BS credit payments in? Made a transfer in this morning from my nominated account at around 10:30 am and nothing has arrived yet. Have I screwed up  and funds will now only arrive on Monday? Wanted to transfer from the Easy Saver to the Reg Savers to have today as opening date 
    Can take a while to update if you're checking online.  I deposited to one account with them on Monday around 11am, but didn't see it on my online account until Wednesday.  However it did correctly show the deposit date as Monday.
  • r6mile
    r6mile Posts: 237
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I got the letter from MonBS asking me for an original or certified copy of my bank statement, to send back in the included pre-paid envelope. Except there was no pre paid envelope! I also got a secure message from them telling that it was not possible to withdraw from these accounts as funds must be held until maturity - which is not true for these accounts (I double checked the T&Cs).

I think I’ve given up with them and am going to ring them on Monday to ask if I can just close my accounts and have them send me a cheque with my funds; it’s not worth it really for the small sums involved. Lesson learned for the future - not to be attracted to these micro Building Societies just because they might have the top rate. For comparison, my recent experiences with both Coventry and Skipton have been extremely efficient so clearly it doesn’t have to be this way.
  • I queried the MonBS letter with a missing nominated account form, and their customer services said just to send a PDF statement via secure message rather than post a hard copy.
  • Just a reminder for those who have it that Monmouthshire BS's Christmas Saver Bond Issue 5 (NLA) paying 5.5% fixed will allow penalty free withdrawals/early closure from tomorrow (Sunday 1/10/23). The account matures on the 1 year anniversary of opening.

Also a couple of regular savers increase their rates tomorrow:
    Leek BS Regular Saver Account Issue 3 will rise from 5% to 5.25%
    SRBS regular saver will rise from 4.9% to 5.15%

Thanks for the heads up on MBS Christmas RS. How has this come about? I thought it was a total NO NO to close or take cash out. I have it written down that all interest would be lost if you did. Not complaining mind, you.

I choose the rooms that I live in with care,
    The windows are small and the walls almost bare,
    There's only one bed and there's only one prayer;
    I listen all night for your step on the stair.
  • Bridlington1
    Bridlington1 Posts: 2,145
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    edited 30 September 2023 at 7:08AM
    Just a reminder for those who have it that Monmouthshire BS's Christmas Saver Bond Issue 5 (NLA) paying 5.5% fixed will allow penalty free withdrawals/early closure from tomorrow (Sunday 1/10/23). The account matures on the 1 year anniversary of opening.

Thanks for the heads up on MBS Christmas RS. How has this come about? I thought it was a total NO NO to close or take cash out. I have it written down that all interest would be lost if you did. Not complaining mind, you.

From their terms:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20221203093556/https://www.monbs.com/products/christmas-saver-bond-issue-5/

Personally 5.5% is still a high enough for me to warrant fully funding so I'll be leaving it as it is for now and as things stand if EA rates remain below 5.5% this will probably be the first fixed rate regular saver I have that has survived fully funded until the end of its term since the base rate started rising.
  • Just a reminder for those who have it that Monmouthshire BS's Christmas Saver Bond Issue 5 (NLA) paying 5.5% fixed will allow penalty free withdrawals/early closure from tomorrow (Sunday 1/10/23). The account matures on the 1 year anniversary of opening.

From their terms:
    https://web.archive.org/web/20221203093556/https://www.monbs.com/products/christmas-saver-bond-issue-5/

Personally 5.5% is still a high enough for me to warrant fully funding so I'll be leaving it as it is for now and as things stand if EA rates remain below 5.5% this will probably be the first fixed rate regular saver I have that has survived fully funded until the end of its term since the base rate started rising.
    Thanks for that, I may well do the same but its good to know its available if needed.
    I choose the rooms that I live in with care,
    The windows are small and the walls almost bare,
    There's only one bed and there's only one prayer;
    I listen all night for your step on the stair.

From their terms:

Thanks for that, I may well do the same but its good to know its available if needed.
    It's a Christmas Saver, funds have to be available from 1 October since this is when Xmas puddings arrive in Waitrose.
    I work in a garden centre and the first Christmas products were put on display before the August Bank Holiday.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 341.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.7K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 233.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.5K Life & Family
  • 246.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback