The Crossover Point

Comments

• Zola.
    Zola. Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Grogged said:
    Looks like you're making good progress there.
    Had some amazing monthly performances this year, both good and bad, but overall slightly positive.
    A real rollercoaster 😟🙂🙄😳!
    Nice one, it's all about the aggregation of marginal gains isn't it!.... pushing us along to hopefully make big gains down the road!!
  • good luck on your mortgage journey
  • Grogged
    Grogged Posts: 865 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Well done on the freelance work and the investment OP, hope you managed to catch some of the dip.
    Down about 1%ish at mo, debating whether to top up now or wait out the election...
    We (by which I mean MrsG) have never got on with a slow cooker.
    We (again ditto 😆) pot cook our roasts in the oven for 3-4 hours.
    Don't know if that counts?
    ATB,
    G.
    If it's not adding up, compound it!
  • Zola.
    Thanks, @kane8907
    Nice @Grogged - yeah it's basically the same thing haha.. the slow cooker was a lifesaver in the cold mornings, rushing out to the office... all the meat and veg was roughly chopped and chucked into the pot, with a timer to come on mid-morning and it was all basically ready for coming home... It was never quite as good as true oven casserole in my experience, but there's a different technique to it... adding some flour at the end seems to be vital to thicken the sauce up, etc!

Friday again  B)
  • Zola.
    Wooah! So there's potentially a Covid vaccine that looks very promising, the stock market is surging today! It already had a good "Biden Bump" last week to recover recent losses, but today the European markets are up 7%! American hasn't even opened yet. 
    The end in sight? 
  • Great progress being made here! 
    It was good to read about your strategy for investing in index funds and aim to be mortgage neutral. I know that investing is something I need to get started with but two years later I still haven't made the leap! I just need to start...thanks for the reminder.
    Mortgage overpayments 2018: £4602, 2019: £7870
    Mortgage overpayments 2020: £4620
    Mortgage 2017 £145K, June 2020 £112.6k:o
  • Ami-Rose
    Ami-Rose Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Great progress being made here! 
    It was good to read about your strategy for investing in index funds and aim to be mortgage neutral. I know that investing is something I need to get started with but two years later I still haven't made the leap! I just need to start...thanks for the reminder.

I put off investing for ages, but then we got a new banking app that tied in with other apps. They had an investing one (WealthSimple if you're interested) and I decided to just jump in. I still don't understand it, but they started me off with a little quiz to work out my risk tolerance and goals etc and it's done for me. I could probably do a lot better for myself if I actively looked at it, but I'm only putting £3/month in out of my fun fund so I'm happy with it.

Sorry to hijack your diary Zola, just wanted to give encouragement that it's better to get started and be put off by a lack of knowledge! Then you can use knowledgeable MSE'ers like you and @Grogged to course correct once you're in. 😉

Any news on the job front?
    MFW: Starting balance, Jan 21: £102,950
    MFW21 Challenge #25
  • Ami-Rose said:

I put off investing for ages, but then we got a new banking app that tied in with other apps. They had an investing one (WealthSimple if you're interested) and I decided to just jump in. I still don't understand it, but they started me off with a little quiz to work out my risk tolerance and goals etc and it's done for me. I could probably do a lot better for myself if I actively looked at it, but I'm only putting £3/month in out of my fun fund so I'm happy with it.

Starting small could be the way to get me started, I've still got a mental block and fear around it. Paying off the mortgage is so much more tangible and easy to understand but I know I should be aiming for a balance.  A stocks and shares ISA looks the least daunting.

@Zola. , my fingers are crossed for good job news.. 

Mortgage overpayments 2018: £4602, 2019: £7870
    Mortgage overpayments 2020: £4620
    Mortgage 2017 £145K, June 2020 £112.6k:o
  • Grogged
    Grogged Posts: 865 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I think a lot of people enjoyed the Biden surge today.
    I suspect many will be thinking of locking in their gains as well.
    I wonder how many vaccines we'll have to choose from by Christmas?
    @sofarbehind I can recommend Vanguard for your ISA, cheap and easy to understand.
    Probably their Lifestyle funds, the 60 if you're cautious, 80 otherwise.
    As ever, do your own research and be prepared to invest for at least 10 years.
    If it's not adding up, compound it!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure