The Crossover Point

Comments

• Zola.
    Zola. Posts: 2,204 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Thanks @Grogged.
    Yes very much so, the days all blend together, weekends are only different in that the laptop is off! I do miss the office with some of the colleagues I am close to, no more coffee runs, which were always good fun..
    It is a bit of a pay rise in some ways with no travel, new office clothes, eating the odd lunch out,  and all that stuff!

• Zola.
    edited 17 September 2020 at 9:50AM
    I updated my Google sheet with some new % calculations for motivation which I will track more regularly.
    S&S ISAs vs Mortgage Debt: 31.5%
    S&S ISAs + Cash vs Mortgage Debt: 40.37%
    Combined Gap: £61,376
  • Hello and welcome! Can I ask how you chose your S&S ISA? You seem really clued up :) It's not possible for me right now as I'm renovating my new place but am hoping next year to be able to start but I have no idea how or where! 
    Choose kind:)
  • Zola.
    Hi @Hazelnutty - Right now I am with HL (hl.co.uk), but I am about to transfer to Vanguard directly as they are half the price in management fees. 
    I would recommend opening a S&S ISA account with Vanguard (https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/) and just set up a direct debit of what you could afford each month. All of my fund are in global index funds. That's basically 3000+ of the biggest companies in the world, and the fact that it is an index means its 'self cleansing', in that poor companies fall out of the index, new ones enter.. you get the average return of all of these companies. There's been so much research that says indexing is better than trying to be Warren Buffet and picking a small set of companies, thats so much riskier.

I also dont want to be chopping and changing stuff, worrying about individual companies. Indexing is true set and forget, let it run all by itself..   If you want to read more, the great book by JL Collins "The Simple Path to wealth" is fantastic. 
  • Thanks so much! Do you choose how your funds are allocated (you mentioned all of yours in in global index funds) or does Vanguard? It's so helpful to hear from someone confident in this area of finance.
    Choose kind:)
  • Zola.
    edited 1 October 2020 at 10:57AM
    Hope everyone is well? Truly odd weather we are having at the moment, beautiful one moment then dark and grim the next!!
    This month has been a strange one... lots of work. Car insurance and tax out last month so was a blow of almost £600! Thankfully done for another year.....
    I have actually been contacted by a company in London for a mostly remote position, it would be almost double my salary.. I have gone through a few round but its a level above where I am, so we will see.... not getting my hopes up.. I am also equally terrified that I would be crazy enough to consider a job move in this pandemic madness... anyone got any wisdom they can give? :smile:

Payday yesterday so I have moved some money into the joint, £800 to the mortgage, the balance now £102,282.
    S&S assets have fallen since last month, but this months contributions will be out in middle of the month, so will look again then!

Anyone got any news?
  • Grogged
    Grogged Posts: 865 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Looks like you're making good progress there.
    Had some amazing monthly performances this year, both good and bad, but overall slightly positive.
    A real rollercoaster 😟🙂🙄😳!
    If it's not adding up, compound it!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport