Savings account other than Marcus

Options
1235»

Comments

• coachman12
    coachman12 Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Shall we all have a poll on Marcus log-in procedures ????????   
  • wmb194
    wmb194 Posts: 3,348 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Either on a new device or on the same machine, for me Marcus has only ever asked for a text message code when I've accessed it using a new browser.
  • Prism
    Prism Posts: 3,804 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 8 March 2020 at 8:29PM
    Options
    It is most likely based upon a risk based assessment per login which is becoming more normal for secure systems. So sometimes it will and sometimes it won't. It will be based upon a number of conditions we as consumers will never get sight of except for the most obvious stuff like using a different computer or from a new location. 
    I'm not sure why you would want a bank that doesn't treat security as the utmost importance
  • EthicsGradient
    Options
    If you're still wondering what to switch to, Cynergy have just returned to the top of the interest payments list for instant access. They do Faster Payments (though there was a problem noted here once: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6054010/cynergy-bank-online-easy-access-account-faster-payments-out ) and they will give out a 'Digipass' so you don't need a mobile (to existing customers, anyway, though I admit I haven't checked about new ones). 
  • soulsaver
    soulsaver Posts: 5,986 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 March 2020 at 11:37AM
    Options
    If you're still wondering what to switch to, Cynergy have just returned to the top of the interest payments list for instant access. They do Faster Payments (though there was a problem noted here once: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6054010/cynergy-bank-online-easy-access-account-faster-payments-out ) and they will give out a 'Digipass' so you don't need a mobile (to existing customers, anyway, though I admit I haven't checked about new ones). 
    To be clear: You can't open a Cynergy account without a mobile number -  you have needed a mobile phone to open an account/bank with Cynergy/Bank of Cyprus for at least the last several years. 
    However you may avoid needing a smart phone if you use a digipass.

"How do I open and manage my account?

• Personal customers who are 18 or over and a UK resident can open an account online

You will need:

• Your National Insurance Number
    • Your mobile phone number and email address
    • Details of a UK current account in your name(s). This will be your 'nominated account' - all withdrawals will be paid to this account.

The minimum initial deposit is £1 (we'll need to receive your initial deposit within 14 days of opening). The maximum deposit is £1m.

Your account can be managed online 24/7"

• Tildaplum
    Tildaplum Posts: 411 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Maybe there is a Marcus option to 'trust' this device, so you don't need to receive texts?
  • EthicsGradient
    Options
    soulsaver said:
    To be clear: You can't open a Cynergy account without a mobile number -  you have needed a mobile phone to open an account bank with Cynergy/Bank of Cyprus for at least the last several years. 
    However you may avoid needing a smart phone if you use a digipass.

"How do I open and manage my account?

• Personal customers who are 18 or over and a UK resident can open an account online

You will need:

• Your National Insurance Number
    • Your mobile phone number and email address

Ah - I've been using a 'dumb' mobile, and I just switched to a Digipass - assuming that meant the need for them to use my mobile as the "something you have" part of identification was over. I suppose the mobile number could still be part of the initial identity checking.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Tildaplum said:
    Maybe there is a Marcus option to 'trust' this device, so you don't need to receive texts?
    No they do not have such an option.
  • typistretired
    typistretired Posts: 2,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I clear my cookies when I log out so always need to enter a code text to me. However, on the occasions I have logged in without clearing I have not needed new code. My rate on Marcus reduced to 1.45 today bonus expires in August still debating whether to switch more into my Cynergy. I have never made a withdrawal from Cynergy are their faster payments immediate or 2 hours. I have their Authenticator 
    "Look after your pennies and your pounds will look after themselves"
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport