Savings account other than Marcus

Options

Comments

• coachman12
    coachman12 Posts: 1,069 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I do have savings in Marcus and , indeed , in other accounts. But I now have the bulk of all my savings in NS&I and, even more so, in RCI Bank.  I was particularly pleased to see that RCI won the Moneyfacts Savings Awards 2020   - see  https://moneyfacts.co.uk/moneyfacts-consumer-awards/2020-results/ .  This might be subject of a more general thread covering other finance aspects but I don't know which forum to put it on 
    And I also had several other winners and a few runners-up. I must be doing something right with my finances, or at least that's what a lot of other folk think 
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,045 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I was very pleased to find that I still had a Ford Money Flexible Saver account open.  This dates from the days of their very popular though short lived Regular Saver days.  Although the FS account is no longer avaible it's still live and paying 1.35%.  I had forgotten all about this account until reviewing my paperwork.

That's where funds from maturing RS is going for now.
  • RomfordNavy
    RomfordNavy Posts: 684 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 7 March 2020 at 5:52PM
    Options
    Tildaplum said:
    Just out of curiosity - and it's a genuine question - why is receiving a text in order to log on a red line for you?
    No mobile phone, got fed-up with the unsolicited calls so got rid of both mobiles.  Don't know how the numbers got out in the wild as I hadn't given either of them to anyone but a few friends, can only assume that the Network providers must be selling databases of numbers.  Reception was crap anyway inside the house, only way I could get a signal was to wander down the garden so really don't miss not having a mobile.

• roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Is this something new, ive never used a mobile for my marcus a.c
  • coachman12
    Options
    roddydogs said:
    Is this something new, ive never used a mobile for my marcus a.c
    No, it's not new. Marcus have always used texts. Check they know your mobile phone number.
  • coachman12
    Options
    BTW, nobody has commented yet on RCI winning the Moneyfacts Savings Awards 2020 ( see my earlier link).
    Any views please ?
  • RomfordNavy
    RomfordNavy Posts: 684 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    BTW, nobody has commented yet on RCI winning the Moneyfacts Savings Awards 2020 ( see my earlier link).
    Any views please ?
    RCI good except they don't do Faster Payments, just the old 3-day BACS.

• ColdIron
    ColdIron Posts: 9,104 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Tildaplum said:
    Just out of curiosity - and it's a genuine question - why is receiving a text in order to log on a red line for you?
    No mobile phone, got fed-up with the unsolicited calls so got rid of both mobiles.  Don't know how the numbers got out in the wild as I hadn't given either of them to anyone but a few friends, can only assume that the Network providers must be selling databases of numbers.  Reception was crap anyway inside the house, only way I could get a signal was to wander down the garden so really don't miss not having a mobile.

HL may be  problem for you then as from the 13th March they will send an SMS message to enable you login. This appears to apply to anyone with a currency or Active Savings account
  • Marmaduke123
    Marmaduke123 Posts: 813 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    The Family Building Society's Online Saver is instant-access and pays 1.26%. Not quite as good as Marcus, but not terrible. It also allows deposits by debit card. Only drawback is it has a minimum operating balance of £100.

https://familybuildingsociety.co.uk/Savings/Online-Saver.aspx
    It also allows joint accounts, which Marcus doesn't. We are trying to keep our finances as simple as possible for the survivor as we age.
  • afis1904
    afis1904 Posts: 348 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Marcus does allow joint accounts now
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts