Do airline fare 'sales' really offer bargains?

Has any research been done on how real airline 'sales' really are?

Virgin, for example, is pushing its 'Winter sale' right now, while many other airlines do the same thing at various times. I'm doubtful, though, that I'll really get a better price on flights booked during the sale period than I would following the standard advice from MSE as to when and how to secure the best fares for selected destinations.

Are airline 'sales' just marketing hype, designed simply to encourage passengers to book now rather than later, or do they really offer a discount off fares that would otherwise apply for the same trips? Does anyone really know?

Comments

• jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've no personal experience with Virgin but have seen BA prices go down during sale periods. That said, the whole idea of a sale makes less sense for airline tickets given the highly dynamic nature of prices. And there are no guarantees that the price for a ticket during a sale is the lowest it will be before departure.
  • Sharon87
    Sharon87 Posts: 4,011 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yes I've had some bargains in the sale. Easyjet for instance, I was tracking a flight it was £45 2 weeks before the sale, £50 1 week before the sale and during the sale it was £40. For a cheap flight that's pretty good.

I think you have to be fast for the sales for popular destinations to get the best value.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,938 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    My experience with Virgin is that fares only drop down £25-£30 pp when in the sale on the routes that I frequent. Peak travel periods like school holidays rarely included in the sale periods.
  • Ngozi
    Ngozi Posts: 175 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    From experience, the sales do offer value but I've found that there is more savings to be made the farther you fly and even more to be saved in first & business class.

Think with so many airlines, especially budget ones, there is only so much that they can reduce economy by without impacting profits too much.
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,135 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    The impression I get is that if you are not fussy where you go, sales can be good. If you have a particular destination in mind the chances of getting a good price go down.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Sales often have good prices, yes.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • I saved around £100pp booking a return to NY in Virgin's sale.
  • DCurrer
    DCurrer Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    That's very much my impression as well. Airline fares are so dynamic these days, changing virtually by the minute, little less each day, that 'sale' offers seem more of a gimmick than a certain offer. As others have said, if you're not fussy about where and when you go, there are probably deals to be found, but if you have a specific destination and a rough date already in mind, I suspect the 'sale' price isn't necessarily the cheapest actually available before departure.
  • DCurrer
    DCurrer Posts: 32 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well tracked, and this sounds good advice.
  • pompeii
    pompeii Posts: 257 Forumite
    Yes we got a 2 for 1 business class ticket with Lufthansa for a little more than Premium economy £2400ish for 2 people Man to Bkk , We were going to book PE anyway and it was a great experience would have struggled to justify £4800 for flights. I think the key to most flight offers is how flexible you can be. We essentially built our holiday around the 2 for 1 ticket availability. Got fast track through all airports and use of business class lounges
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure