My debt free diary by end of 2021

Options

Comments

• NeverendingDMP
    Options
    I think its important to still focus on it just not to feel bad if it doesnt happen. I'm still working on being debt free just working in pence not pounds for the next 12 months or so. 😀 we are on spag bol tonight. Yum yum
    Jan 18 Joint debts 35,213 - March 24 16.6k
    Mortgage Jan 18- 77224 Dec 23- just under 69k
  • Rgib89
    Rgib89 Posts: 89 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    This morning has been a relook at finances with a new debt free date.. my plan is to be debt free in 24 months, looking at the figures this is achievable with overpaying on normal monthly payments by £95 a month. 

I'm going to have a good sort out over the next few weeks and sell unwanted items we no longer need or use using eBay.
    New years resolution is to start meal planning and save some money on my food shopping. 
    Every spare penny will be paid of the loan.

• enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    I think you should congratulate yourself on firstly not adding to the debt and secondly for getting a much better interest rate.  You also did make overpayments this year so you are in a better position.  Don't feel bad about focusing on debt overpayments in the current situation.  You can control that whereas you cannot control what is happening in the wider world at the moment. Good luck for 2021 and getting that loan down further. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Sarahwithlove
    Options
    Meal planning always helps and I budget for food monthly rather than weekly as it gives me more flexibility. For example if I do a big shop and by mince, chicken breasts etc they will do me more than one meal. Plus I buy 24 pack of loo rolls and soap powder etc all last about 6 weeks as well so I think it's best way. It also means that if something is reduced down in yellow sticker section I don't have to feel bad about getting it as I know it will get used later in month. I also look at what have in freezer and cupboards before I go and write a list from that. 
    *Dad loan - £5300 - £1700
    *Virgin Credit Card - £3552.50 - £0
    *Barclaycard - £0

*Total debt - £1700*

*Sinking Fund - £2000/£3000*
    *Emergency Fund -£50/£2000

*Debt Repayments Pot - £0/0*

New diary- https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/6474943/the-three-cs-coffee-clothes-credit-cards/
  • Rgib89
    Options
    Thank you both for your advice. 
    Can anyone recommend any good forums about meal planning? Im really fussy when it comes to food and really wish I could do batch cooking and freeze it, use meals for the next day etc as this is a massive downfall of mine.. only meals I will freeze are curry and spag bol and my partner usually has them for work. I just rounded off my bank account to my loan. I find i don't miss it and every penny is closer to being debt free.
    Both me and my partner are back to work from next week so hopefully this is a good start to 2021. 

Happy new year everyone, heres to another year of debt busting x
  • Rgib89
    Options
    Morning diary,
    So just a quick update from me.
    I managed 2 no spend days, yesterday spend was £16.50 on food accounted for.
    Today im going to go through food and stocktaking everything I have here and meal plan for next week. I have alot here already so will only need fruit veg bread and milk from the shops.

Hope everyone is safe x
  • Rgib89
    Options
    Morning everyone, 
    Hope everyone's ok?
    So again not much to update, managed a few round offs from my bank account to loan, lowering it by about £20. Will update my loan amount next week after pay day and minimum direct debit goes out.
    X
  • Choccygirl123
    Options
    Morning rgib 

Good to see you back on your debt busting mission. It's been a hard year that's for sure, but I'm finding my own debt busting a positive to focus on. Life feels like it's on hold, but I'm
    busy making the most of the lower spending lockdown forces. I'm trying to finally get a grip on our food spends too. Planning is definitely the secret. Well done on the £20, it's £20 less you've got to find!

Finally Debt Free 24/4/2023 
  • Rgib89
    Options
    I would definitely say my food bill is massive problem for me, alot of improvement needs to be done by there. Still using the food that I already have here, with just the fresh stuff im buying. So have managed save in the last 2 weeks. 
    Have been looking at cook books to buy for ideas etc, but do I want to spend the money. So im doing the 30day rule to see if I still want them after that. X
  • Rgib89
    Options
    Update from me...
    Today was a NSD, hoping for atleast 5/7 this week.. Friday is pay day, I have enough petrol to last the week, only spend being food. Im going to do a top up shop tomorrow (fresh) to last till Friday and do a big shop then. 
    I've decided instead of buying cook books to do my research online and look into recipes. Thats one for tonight when the kids are in bed. 

Over the next few weeks on days off from work im going to declutter room and by room and sell any unwanted items. Any money made will be payed straight of the loan. 
    Im currently paying £425 a month so once its gone It will be a massive weight of my shoulders. 
    Hope everyone has had a lovely day x
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure