New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Santa’s challenge 2020 ...

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Special Occasions & Other Celebrations
226 replies 11.1K views

Replies

• chaniechanie Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Having a catch up. I started a new job! Only three days a week but it’s been a while and I seem to have lost all spare time I had. Ha. 
    You are all doing so well with your boxes. 
    I really need to start having a look into some of them for this year. I have the scarves/cat blankets that I crochet. But would be nice to put together little packages too. Do you all make them for the same charities? 
    Well done on the new job.  

We all collect for the same charity,  called Link to Hope. Someone on the thread mentioned it a few years ago and a couple of us jumped on board! 
    2020 savings on purchases £6303.60
  • Happy_KittiesHappy_Kitties Forumite
    1.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    It has been the end of a week of birthday celebrations which turned into abit of a food fest and cocktails for DD. She said she has thoroughly enjoyed her birthday. Loved her presents, i was spot on with a couple without realising it. Even the balloons are still going :smile:
    Chanie 3 parties this year, i would def need lists, im no good without one.
    I cant wait for the box leaflets to come out as i will def be able to reseal 2 up that i couldnt deliver last year unless items have changed and im partly thru another 2. I love the satisfaction of finishing one and then working on the next.
    CCL2 well done on the new job. 
     If u have a nosy on the link to hope website it will have a diary about the 2019 shoeboxes and where they were delivered and the severe poverty people live in. 
    I have to say out of the 3 of us that do them, im the most rubbish at getting the shoeboxes in the first place!
    Did have some more good fortune just by chance. DD wanted to pop into [email protected]@ts. Never been in before but we noticed a charity shop that was closing down so popped in. They had a basket of scarves, not too thick, some pure wool that would be great for lining the base of the box. Also got a couple of head scarves and another hat. Got them for peanuts, just think they wanted rid as less to clear out. Gave an extra donation as i felt it was double bubble, helping 2 causes. The scarves have washed beautifully. Feel stocks are a heck of alot better than before Christmas.

Managed to get a birthday present for a November birthday for a 11/12 year old. Really struggling but [email protected] clearance came up trumps with a maahoosive bubble T advent calender which will be ideal to take the young person into December. Def running out of storage space now :flushed:

2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:T:T:T:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66:j
  • crazy-cat-lady_2crazy-cat-lady_2 Forumite
    431 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Happy_Kitties, Glad to hear she had a good birthday. I’ll check out the site now and have a look how to get involved and what goes in the boxes. If I can get involved I will. I’ve done shoeboxes for the homeless before. Well, bags now. They don’t like boxes. 

Thank you! Job is going well. I Can’t believe I’m saying it but I love it. It’s strange after so long. We decided it was best I stay home with our little girl after I had her. So it’s been three years since I worked! Big change. 

I have to hunt down some bargain kid’s presents. Got a bunch of party invites. So I usually have a little stock of games/ puzzles/craft sets suitable for kids her age, and I’m all out!! Need a re-stock. Sadly I missed the big toy sell off at B&M. 
    Book a week challenge 3/52. Money made on cashback and survey sites £27.50
  • AngleaAnglea Forumite
    7.2K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi all, I had trouble getting back into the site. I hope Katiehound is ok with all the quarantine problems, glad that CCL is home without problems. I was hugging my cousin who had just returned from a skiing trip in Italy a few weeks ago, now the media says that it's a no go area plus avoid people returning from there, they need to self isolate. She's a doctor (not the one that was in the papers) and so hopefully she would contact me if there was any cause for concern, my son is also going skiing abroad unless he's returned he's awol as usual.

I haven't done any crafts or occasions prep since Valentines as sorting dad's affairs is still taking up all my time as a lot of serious problems have ocurred with his private pension and few other things are just dragging out, thank goodness I have unlimited minutes on my phone that's all I can say.

Years ago I used to do shoeboxes, think they went to Romania.

1.2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Anglea  Sorry to hear u are having trouble sorting out ur dad's affairs, it must be stressful. Funny enough i was thinking how Katiehound was getting on this morning. It is scary, but im so glad ur cousin arrived home safe. Hopefully ur son will be in contact soon

I've done a few bits, signed up to do 3 bags of education today. Have got the items in. Ended up finding alot of the items needed in The Range but the biggest challenge was the A5 unruled exercise book-that was [email protected] in the end.
    Bought a few more bits for the charity auction at Christmas-some nice sale bits. Got a couple of bits in the [email protected]@ts 90% sale including more wrapping paper that i really dont need!!

The boxes ive just been getting more bits and chucking them in a bag. 4 boxes partly completed, just need the leaflets now. Trawled the charity shops for cutlery , absolutely nothing. In the end found a cheap set in home [email protected] that will sort 4 boxes, 

Birthday presents, apart from DD birthday ive been absolutely shocking. Really need to clear the backlog including the present that has been sat in my kitchen over a month  :neutral:
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:T:T:T:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66:j
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • chaniechanie Forumite
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great progress, happy kitties.

I popped to Costco today and it was heaving with coronavirus-prepers buying up all the loo roll.  Ironically, I actually wanted loo roll, as I always buy it from Costco, but I didn’t have the time to queue, so I left.

It got me thinking - If things carry on as they are, we may have to resort to using newspaper Instead of loo roll...... but at least everyone will have a nice Xmas present.
    1.2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I've been lucky with toilet roll Chanie. 
    Before Christmas i had 2 vouchers on toilet rolls with [email protected] Over 100 toilet rolls arrived to split between me and DD for uni. DD wasnt impressed at the time but it's one of the best things i did! Toilet roll stash depleted but still going strong.

The 3 bags of education arrived yesterday. Put one together last night but having trouble getting everything in. They put a weight limit on the bags 2kg each. Typical my kitchen scale battery has died so have ordered another so i can weigh the bags.
    Had abit more luck yesterday. Picking up my prescription  i was parked opposite a chaity shop so i popped in. Dont often go in as it is an expensive one but they have an area which i like to have a nosy through. Cheap and cheerful. There was a bag of 3 soaps with a bath bomb. All brand new for a £1. I knew the bath bomb was a good brand, worth about 2.50 alone. Bought the bag of soaps thinking i will use the bath bomb as part of a present and the soaps can go in my Christmas boxes.
    Arrived home, took a closer look at the soaps and found one soap in perfect condition to be a Jo Malone. Its only a 100g soap but further research, i found that it retails at £32 :o. I was so shocked as it isnt very big. Another soap was worth £4. Those 2 soaps have been safely put away to send to the charity auction i support. Its the best charity shop find ive had to date.
    I also got a cruelty free superdrug make ur own bath bomb set for 2.99 in the shop. That will make a bargain present. In perfect condition.
    Picked up a whisky jug for £3 in another charity shop the other day. My stepfather likes collectables and his whisky so ive now finished him for Christmas
    I really need to get myself sorted today and get presents to post tomorrow.......they will be late.....again :| . Really need to get myself sorted on the birthday present front. Im shocking!

• chaniechanie Forumite
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Happy kitties am impressed with your bargains.  Not only are you spending money in charity shops, but you are also donating goods to benefit another charity as well.

i managed to get two shoe boxes today, from family members who bought new shoes.  That means I now have two boxes left to find, so I can complete the 6 boxes I committed to.  

I did finish one more present - I bought my niece a bag and have added things like lip balm, colouring in pens, hair bands etc.  Other than that, progress is slow.  It’s DS birthday next month, so the focus is on that.  He isn’t getting anything big this year, so we will be getting him lots of smaller presents.  I bought him a few things from eBay, which we know he will like.
    1.2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Chanie my DD and a friend have got me hooked on charity shops. Trying to do more with them so i can get the double bubble effect so a couple of charities benefit with one action :) Picked up a brand new rain hood for 29p yesterday which i'll pop into a shoebox. Just need more shoeboxes now. I will ask at my next ortho appt to see if they have any spare.
    U def sound as if u are doing better than me with birthdays getting organised for ur DS birthday. I finally sent off 2 lots of presents yesterday and handed out the birthday present that had been sitting in my kitchen for over a month. I just can't seem to get organised with birthdays even though i have the presents in. Ive still got presents from January to give out.
    Besides sending off the presents i also managed to get DD another Christmas present. It wil be a case of listening out again for clues throughout the year as she is getting harder and harder to buy for, so i think it will be lots of little presents aswell.
    1.2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    How is everyone doing?
    I am semi isolating, can't do it fully, its just not me but im taking full precautions and tbh i never went out masses in the first place. I just make sure if i go to post a letter for some fresh air i do it at a quiet time where i won't meet anyone
     Am pacing myself to do bits everyday. I braved [email protected] this morning. Made use of the elderly and vulnerable hour. It was fairly quiet and the only thing i couldnt get was cat litter. I did social distancing as much as i could and there was a relaxed atmosphere which was nice. No panic buying. I always have a good stock of cat food in, cat litter is proving more of a nightmare. I normally do top up shops every couple of days but that is out of the equation now.

Have been making good use of the time. Im now up to date with birthday presents (except for one set of Jan ones) 
    I started wrapping my DDs Christmas presents last night. I am itching to get started on other presents :)
    Sent off some more charity items (which included the expensive soap!!) today for the charity auction.It has created some space for me.
    Have been washing all the winter bedding and getting it stored away
    Will keep going with some paperwork for work and do DIY touch ups.
    I am also going to email Katiehound. I confess i am worried about her and i hope she is okay.
    Stay safe everyone