New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Santa’s challenge 2020 ...

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Special Occasions & Other Celebrations
229 replies 11.3K views

Replies

• Happy_KittiesHappy_Kitties Forumite
    1.2K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    chanie said: :D:D
    (*evil laugh*) I have scored another shoe box for my link boxes.  A colleague had some new boots delivered to work and I was trying them on in the office, so I asked if I could have the box once they had finished it.  The looked rather bemused at my request, but I explained that I made up charity boxes for Christmas.  I now have two boxes, so just need another 4.  

Not fair!!! :D  :D   :D
    I do feel that i am cheating abit. I've opened the other 2 boxes from last year, removed the chocolate. Picked up more chocolate in [email protected] but until the tick list sheet thingies u have to stick on the front of the boxes are sent out and ive checked them off, i dont want to seal them back up in case there are any changes to the sheet. I do now have enough gloves to take me into the 2021 boxes. DD found gloves reduced in [email protected] for 50p each and bought a load back for me.
    I have finally wrapped DDs presents and hidden them as she arrived back home last night for 2weeks. Shes mentioned some bits last minute so ive ordered them. I couldnt get one thing with Lulu Guiness as there was a further 10% off so alot of sale items had sold out but i did get her something else that she liked and was debating on buying for herself.
    Still havent wrapped the birthday Jan presents and sent them. Also have a friends presents sitting in the kitchen that need wrapping and delivering.
    Im really behind!
    Did send 9 items to the Christmas charity auction organiser as the youngest cat kept attacking one of the items and i thought it will get destroyed.
    anglea you sound as if u have been very busy with ur valentines crafts. I can scrapbook till the cows come home but lose patience with other crafts.
    Totally agree with the new forum layout, i find it heavy going on the eyes.
    ........right off to hunt for another shoebox which is like mission impossible :D
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:T:T:T:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66:j
  • chaniechanie Forumite
    2.8K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I bought some hat and glove sets that were half price in Sainsbury’s, plus they had 25% off,so they were a great saving. 
    2020 savings on purchases £6303.60
    1.2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    I've managed to pick up a couple of bits in the [email protected] clearance section for the charity auction. One item i really liked and although out of stock in my local store i have managed to reserve one in the next town which i need to visit. I think it will go down very well as a Christmas present. Storage is becoming a problem again!
    Only other things ive managed to pick up is some bits for the shoeboxes and bags of education-DD managed to pick up some cheap drinks bottles from [email protected] for these.
    Otherwise all very quiet. Still havent done Januarys present......must do it this week :persevere:
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:T:T:T:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66:j
    1.2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Managed to pick up some beanie hats and children's goves in [email protected] today for 50p for my boxes. Also picked up a birthday present for next year-but it was a good reduction :smile: Well chuffed, i def have enough gloves for next year now.
    Picked up some bits for the bags of education in the [email protected] The exercise books are proving an headache the cheapest place i can find them is on the bay of e.
    Determined to do 3 this year
  • chaniechanie Forumite
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Happy kitties you are such a warm hearted person with the efforts you go to in order to help others.  
    Today, I bought some packs of playing cards from Poundland for my link boxes.   I remember struggling to find them one year, so I was pleased to be able to get them.
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    1.2K posts
    ✭✭✭
    Aaaaawwww Chanie that is very kind of u to say, thank u.  Think i just enjoying hunting things out ( playing cards are another headache for me) but im proud of what we all do and u and CCL do alot more with the toy collections at Christmas than i do. 
    I think with what we all do, those small differences make big differences in people's lives that need it the most and im proud of our little thread for that :smile:
  • chaniechanie Forumite
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Happy kitties I have decided to take a leaf out of your book and finish my link boxes early.  I’m pretty good with collecting stuff, but wrapping the boxes, doing the inventory list and getting the correct money is always left to the last minute ( in 2019, it was1/2 hour before I was due to drop the boxes off and it means I ended up stressed).  I have already started packing my elderly boxes.

my thoughts now turn to Easter.  I’m not sure what to get the children.  Last year, I got them loads of chocolate and it was just too much.  I’ve seen some nice baskets in Poundland, which I could use, but I’m not sure what to put in them.
  • chaniechanie Forumite
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Party time
    I have three party’s to plan this year and I approach them in the same way that I do for Xmas - plan ahead and write lots of lists.

1) DS would like to do an activity party for his friends as he has only had family party’s for a few years.  The main consideration for this is the cost of the party, so I need to get saving.  But, at least I won’t have to do too much planning, other than party bags (I could probably buy ones from the venue, but I can make my own, better and cheaper).

2) DD had a class party last year, so I have said she can have some friend over.  Home Bargains had some nice decorations, which were cheap, so I bought them whilst they were in stock, even though her birthday isn’t until the summer.

Both children like to do party bags for their classes, so I try and buy a few bits and pieces every couple of weeks, to do them as cheaply as possible.

3) DD is making her First Holy Communion this year and we have family over for lunch afterwards.  When DS had his turn, 2 years ago, I bought neutral decorations (tablecloth and banners) so that I could reuse them for DD.  OH looked at me like I was crazy when he saw me putting them away, for the sake of £5.  I also did it for environmental reasons!

I  picked up a few Xmas items - nothing big, just some stocking fillers, like felt tip pens and bath bombs.  
  • crazy-cat-lady_2crazy-cat-lady_2 Forumite
    431 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Having a catch up. I started a new job! Only three days a week but it’s been a while and I seem to have lost all spare time I had. Ha. 
    You are all doing so well with your boxes. 
    I really need to start having a look into some of them for this year. I have the scarves/cat blankets that I crochet. But would be nice to put together little packages too. Do you all make them for the same charities? 
    Book a week challenge 3/52. Money made on cashback and survey sites £27.50
  • crazy-cat-lady_2crazy-cat-lady_2 Forumite
    431 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭
    Ooh. I seem to have gained a “2” on my name since the forum change over. How odd. 
    Book a week challenge 3/52. Money made on cashback and survey sites £27.50