We’d like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum.

This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are – or become – political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

📨 Have you signed up to the Forum's new Email Digest yet? Get a selection of trending threads sent straight to your inbox daily, weekly or monthly!

I think I found a rat in my Aldi crisps (not Lidl)

124

Comments

  • Been to see environmental health and they are still testing it, they said it was definitely not a rodent or any animal. The guy squeezed it and sniffed it and said it was a black waxy substance probably burnt fat built up in the production machinery. It definitely smelled disgusting and made me wretch when I was brave enough to smell it at home. Will let you know the test results. Regarding the school comments, I left college back in 1998 so its a bit too late for me.
  • I was thinking £200 compo because a mouse in your food is quite shocking, but as its not id be happy with anything, even a fiver
  • hollydays wrote: »
    Thank god it wasn't Lidl

    I work for Lidl so I wanted to make it clear so there was no confusion. I will post test results when I get them. It wasn't an animal of any kind just some sort of debris
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    id be happy with anything

    You've got a free lump of burnt fat. What more do you want?
  • pelirocco
    pelirocco Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    Been to see environmental health and they are still testing it, they said it was definitely not a rodent or any animal. The guy squeezed it and sniffed it and said it was a black waxy substance probably burnt fat built up in the production machinery. It definitely smelled disgusting and made me wretch when I was brave enough to smell it at home. Will let you know the test results. Regarding the school comments, I left college back in 1998 so its a bit too late for me.

    Why on earth would you have thought it was a rat ?
    Vuja De - the feeling you'll be here later
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    pelirocco wrote: »
    Why on earth would you have thought it was a rat ?
    Free money, of course.
    A lump of burnt fat equals no "compo", a dead rodent on the other hand...

    Personally, I'd have just thrown it in the bin...
  • NCC-1707
    NCC-1707 Posts: 348 Forumite
    Third Anniversary 100 Posts Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Been to see environmental health and they are still testing it, they said it was definitely not a rodent or any animal. The guy squeezed it and sniffed it and said it was a black waxy substance probably burnt fat built up in the production machinery. It definitely smelled disgusting and made me wretch when I was brave enough to smell it at home. Will let you know the test results. Regarding the school comments, I left college back in 1998 so its a bit too late for me.


    So you're in your forties and your first thought was 'it's a rat'?
  • dlusman
    dlusman Posts: 2,711 Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts I've been Money Tipped!
    I was thinking £200 compo because a mouse in your food is quite shocking, but as its not id be happy with anything, even a fiver


    I hope you are happy that you have wasted tax payers money - and you are still wanting compensation ? replacement cost for one packet of crisps should suffice
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper
    I work for Lidl so I wanted to make it clear so there was no confusion. I will post test results when I get them. It wasn't an animal of any kind just some sort of debris

    Just to be absolutely clear this definitely wasn't Tesco then?
  • I work for Lidl so I wanted to make it clear so there was no confusion. I will post test results when I get them. It wasn't an animal of any kind just some sort of debris

    They must be really bad if you don't shop at Lidl.
This discussion has been closed.
★ ★ ★ Meet your Ambassadors

🚀 Getting Started

Hi new member!

Our Getting Started Guide will help you get the most out of the Forum

Categories

  • All Categories
  • 355.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 254.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 456.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 248.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 605.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 179K Life & Family
  • 263.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 16.1K Discuss & Feedback
  • 37.7K Read-Only Boards

Is this how you want to be seen?

We see you are using a default avatar. It takes only a few seconds to pick a picture.