Yet another Windoze 7 PC query - sorry!

Options

Comments

• ih8stress
    ih8stress Posts: 1,933 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi, managed to install a new internal SSD Drive (or should that be SS Drive?) into my desktop pc all by myself :j and put Windows 10 onto it. No mean feat, being a non-techie but I wrote down instructions from the 10forum link on here from Everywhere and watched a few youtube videos too, which helped - why do they always talk so fast though, eh?

Of course I have a few questions now, and hope someone can help, please :)

Firefox - latest version installed:
    1) Connection settings. Which Proxy setting should I select?
    2) Network. Do I enable or disable DNS over HTTPS -seems to be conflicting opinions on this?

My old HDD with Win7 on will be used as storage for my photos, video clips, documents and notes etc.

1) Do I re-format or wipe this to remove Win7 and all programs still on it?
    2) If so, can I transfer the photos etc on it at the moment to the SSD and then back again once it is empty? And if so, how?

SSD with Win10. After installing new programs etc. do I create a new user account (standard) to use it for daily use and just keep the current (Admin) one for installing and updating new programs?

Thanks in advance :)
  • EveryWhere
    EveryWhere Posts: 3,249 Forumite
    Options
    ih8stress wrote: »
    Hi, managed to install a new internal SSD Drive (or should that be SS Drive?) into my desktop pc all by myself :j and put Windows 10 onto it. No mean feat, being a non-techie but I wrote down instructions from the 10forum link on here from Everywhere and watched a few youtube videos too, which helped - why do they always talk so fast though, eh?

Of course I have a few questions now, and hope someone can help, please :)

Firefox - latest version installed:
    1) Connection settings. Which Proxy setting should I select?
    2) Network. Do I enable or disable DNS over HTTPS -seems to be conflicting opinions on this?

My old HDD with Win7 on will be used as storage for my photos, video clips, documents and notes etc.

1) Do I re-format or wipe this to remove Win7 and all programs still on it?
    2) If so, can I transfer the photos etc on it at the moment to the SSD and then back again once it is empty? And if so, how?

SSD with Win10. After installing new programs etc. do I create a new user account (standard) to use it for daily use and just keep the current (Admin) one for installing and updating new programs?

Thanks in advance :)

Did you manage to bypass the Microsoft account sign-in in order to choose a Local account?

Is the old HDD still connected and being used as secondary internal storage?
  • ih8stress
    Options
    :hello:Hi, DCM. I ended up using the internal bay enclosure and some of the cables. I tried installing Win10 Pro first, knowing that if it did NOT work I could just install Home Premium version instead.

Guess what, it worked :) thanks for your help, especially finding the links at Dell for me :)
  • ih8stress
    Options
    EveryWhere wrote: »
    Did you manage to bypass the Microsoft account sign-in in order to choose a Local account?

No, I think I had to create an account as could not skip the Wi-Fi option mentioned on here by someone

Is the old HDD still connected and being used as secondary internal storage?

Yes the old HDD is still intact. Not done anything with it yet. The SSD is connected by a separate cable, not used the HDD one for it
  • ih8stress
    Options
    Could not skip Wi-fi connection bit so chose 'offline account' and 'limited experience' and 'personal use'.
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    Yes the old HDD is still intact. Not done anything with it yet. The SSD is connected by a separate cable, not used the HDD one for it

I don't understand why you were unable to skip adding WiFi network details. Just don't enter your WiFi password.

But since you were able to choose Offline account, that seems fine.

Just copy and paste the contents of the individual folders on the 7 drive into the correspondent folders on the Windows 10 installation.

No need to play around with proxy options on Firefox.
  • ih8stress
    Options
    I don't understand why you were unable to skip adding WiFi network details. Just don't enter your WiFi password.

I didn't enter any wi-fi details, I just did not see a 'skip' option which is why I chose the offline etc?

But since you were able to choose Offline account, that seems fine.

Just copy and paste the contents of the individual folders on the 7 drive into the correspondent folders on the Windows 10 installation.

Not sure how I do that? I have it set up to boot from the SSD at the moment.

No need to play around with proxy options on Firefox.

I think the default was 'use system proxy settings' Do I put it on 'no proxy' instead? thanks

Thanks for your replies @Everywhere :)
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    Congratulations on your success. Daunting for many, so impressed that you actually decided to actually get it done.
    If I had seen the thread, I would have assisted you to move to Windows 10 Pro as opposed to Home.

You can still do so, but it will mean that you need to run the clean install to SSD again.
  • EveryWhere
    Options
    I think the default was 'use system proxy settings' Do I put it on 'no proxy' instead? thanks

Thanks for your replies @Everywhere :)

Is the HDD not seen as a secondary drive? Does it still have it's original cables attached?

System proxy settings is fine.
  • ih8stress
    Options
    Congratulations on your success. Daunting for many, so impressed that you actually decided to actually get it done.
    Thank you for saying that, I was very nervous but determined to try at least - despite being a silver surfer non-techie, hee hee! Hopefully will encourage others :)

If I had seen the thread, I would have assisted you to move to Windows 10 Pro as opposed to Home.

You can still do so, but it will mean that you need to run the clean install to SSD again.

I DID get Windows10 Pro, thankfully :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport