PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Bookworms 2020

Options

Comments

• gettingtheresometime
    gettingtheresometime Posts: 6,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 2 April 2020 at 10:47PM
    Options

Evening - hope everyone is keeping safe....I'm finding that I'm reading more as I've decreased dramatically my time on social media the last fortnight....well that and my knitting,  so feeling very middle aged 😆 

I finished a while back the Dept of Speculation by Jenny Offill and I have to say I really didn't get it & couldn't marry up my opinion of it and the reviews I read afterwards.

I've just finished 'The Whisper Man' by Alex North. It's about a man and his young son, who are coming to terms with the death of his wife/mum, who move to a small American town where unbeknown to them a series of murders took place of young boys years ago & but now a copycat killing has taken place. Added to that, the young son is being to act very strangely......

It's written from the perspective of the man, his young son & the policeman who investigated the original murders & although it was a little slow to get going, I did enjoy it.

Stay safe every one

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've just finished The Olive Garden Choir, by Leah Fleming - absolute tosh!  Echoes of old school stories, with a cliched cast of characters, including the snob, the bully and not forggetting, the working class with loads of money and bad taste.  All good in the end, though. 

I find it hard to believe it was written by the same woman who wrote The Glovemaker's Daughter. 

Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have finished The Holiday by T M Logan.  I read this based on recommendations on here, I enjoyed it and found it easy reading.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • pollypenny
    Options
    Thirst by Jo Nesbo. 

I couldn't resist buying it and reading it immediately after finishing Knife. Excellent stuff, so gripping, with some very good red herrings. I missed it for some reason, so have now read them out of ordered.  I will treat myself to the latest Camilla Lackberg next week. 

• Hobsons_Choice
    Hobsons_Choice Posts: 1,123 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Ooh...the Jo Nesbo is on my list to read. Is it out in paperback now?
    Normal people worry me.
  • pollypenny
    Options
    Ooh...the Jo Nesbo is on my list to read. Is it out in paperback now?

Yes. I bought it for my kindle, though.  I'm really trying to keep the books from taking over the house again. 

• rosewoodspa
    Options
    First time commenting on this thread. I read insatiably - an average of nearly a book a day!! This week I've dug out all my old Laura Ingalls Wilder books - (Little House on the Prairie series). It certainly puts into context all our so called deprivations! Isolation  in her books means not seeing another soul for months, and shortage in supplies means malnutrition and no heating - as in the Long Winter. Those of you who have never tried them, I heartily recommend and don't be put off by the sickly sweet saccharine TV series. The only thing that had in common with the books was the title. The books are a much grittier take on the period and a fascinating social history.

Rose

• dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 12 April 2020 at 9:20AM
    Options
    First time commenting on this thread. I read insatiably - an average of nearly a book a day!! This week I've dug out all my old Laura Ingalls Wilder books - (Little House on the Prairie series). It certainly puts into context all our so called deprivations! Isolation  in her books means not seeing another soul for months, and shortage in supplies means malnutrition and no heating - as in the Long Winter. Those of you who have never tried them, I heartily recommend and don't be put off by the sickly sweet saccharine TV series. The only thing that had in common with the books was the title. The books are a much grittier take on the period and a fascinating social history.

Rose

I am a slow reader, I'm not sure what it is that is slow about it though, I have read the odd book in a weekend but if I read 50 pages a day that is a lot for me.  I am at the halfway point with Crimson Petal and feel like it will never end even though it is a good book, at least when War and Peace winks at me from the bookcase now I don't feel so intimidated.

I have read half of Goodnight Mr Tom, I am rationing this out, I love it too much to plow through it.

What is everyones top 3 favourite books (or 5 if 3 is too hard), the ones you go back to time and again?

3 is too hard for me so my 5 in no particular order are:

The Woman in Black by Susan Hill
    All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriott
    The Winter Ghosts by Kate Mosse
    Five Get Into a Fix by Enid Blyton (original version)
    Plenty of Ponies by Josephine Pullein-Thompson
    Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier

I love all the other James Herriott books too but the first one is my favourite, same with the Pullein-Thompson sisters and Famous Five, I love all the books now as much as I did as a child but those two are my favourites. 
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • Treasurequeen
    Options
    Just finished The familiars by Stacey halls a very good book I couldn’t put it down. Highly recommend. 
  • Mrs_Salad_Dodger
    Options
    Lord of the Rings
    The Handmaid’s Tale
    The Stand

Be Kind. Stay Safe. Break the Chain. Save Lives. 

2024 Savings Pot Challenge: As a monthly amount, running total = £116.85
    Jan £5; Feb £13; Mch £25; Apr £31:65; May £42.20; Jun £??; July £??; Aug £??; Sep £??; Oct £??; Nov £??; Dec £??.  Grand Total £??
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback