PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Bookworms 2020

Options

Comments

• dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm still reading The Crimson Petal and the White, I read this for daytime and I am reading The Holiday at bedtime.  One good thing is I don't need to worry about returning my library books on time.  On my shelf where I keep just library books I have the following tomes to get through:

Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie
    The Familiars - Stacey Halls
    The Snow Child - Eowyn Ivey
    How to Stop Time - Matt Haigh
    My Cousin Rachel
    The Luminaries - Eleanor Catton Grantor

My own book case is packed with classics, modern classics, children's classics amongst other stuff.  Trouble is I read about 50 pages a day.  Right now I would really love to read Goodnight Mr Tom but I don't have it.  That situation will be rectified asap.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,078 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dolly84 said:
    I'm still reading The Crimson Petal and the White, I read this for daytime and I am reading The Holiday at bedtime.  One good thing is I don't need to worry about returning my library books on time.  On my shelf where I keep just library books I have the following tomes to get through:

Midnight's Children - Salman Rushdie
    The Familiars - Stacey Halls
    The Snow Child - Eowyn Ivey
    How to Stop Time - Matt Haigh
    My Cousin Rachel
    The Luminaries - Eleanor Catton Grantor

My own book case is packed with classics, modern classics, children's classics amongst other stuff.  Trouble is I read about 50 pages a day.  Right now I would really love to read Goodnight Mr Tom but I don't have it.  That situation will be rectified asap.
    Messaged you
    Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 32/80
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

• pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cocketts said:
    Just found this thread - it's wonderful. I have already ordered a fair few from my library!
    Can anybody recommend any dystopian-type books.  I loved 'Last Light' (or was it First Light?) and the follow-on book where they were all living on the oil rig out at sea......
    Sorry, a bit late with suggestions, but...
    Joe hill - Fireman
    John Christopher - Death of Grass
    Bernard Knight - Brennan
    Having bought John Christopher's Empty World for my son many years ago, I subsequently bought 13 out of my own money for a bottom set fifth form I was teaching the time. Excellent book, which went down very well with these disaffected lads. 
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • madlyn
    madlyn Posts: 1,027 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Suggestions please?
    I want to read more but dont know what to read.
    I like true stories, biography/autobiography, thriller, true crime and fiction.
    I have looked at some of "the classics" but again dont know which to pick, the only book I have read more than once is the BFG and I am 45!!!

SPC 037
  • Syman
    Syman Posts: 2,616 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    madlyn said:
    Suggestions please?
    I have looked at some of "the classics" but again dont know which to pick, the only book I have read more than once is the BFG and I am 45!!!

Elton John's latest biography is worth a read. And for classics, Ted Hughes - The Iron Giant.
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!:mad:
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow.. :p

Bookworm's Thread 2019 reading Challenge total :- 1/60
  • ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,078 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 26 March 2020 at 8:48PM
    Options
    Keep up the great suggestions you lovely people, they really are expanding the range of books I'm reading.  

I must admit I've struggled to settle to reading over the last couple of weeks (partly the worry over the virus and party due to fast tracked hospital appointments, appointments went well (if you can call 6 biopsies well) and now am in limbo waiting for results and guilty for adding to the already strained NHS labs) but finally finished "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter" , a book I read during my teenage years.  I have a few books from the library but no rush to read them as they have closed libraries and extended return dates to August. 
    Book 18 is "The Five: The untold stories of the women killed by Jack the Ripper".

Keep reading and stay safe.
    Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 32/80
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

• Rosa_Damascena
    Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Am desperate to read Five! It's been on my wishlist for ages. Midnight's Children is a book of two halves: I loved the human element of the first, but the second requires an understanding of Indian politics to appreciate fully. Personally I don't feel like it was anywhere as near well-written. 
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    madlyn said:
    Suggestions please?

Try Paul O'Grady's autobiographies, three of them, starting with At My Mother's Knee.  Hilarious. 

Thrillers - you'd be spoiled for choice from Patrica Cornwall to Jo Nesbo. If you've ever watched Bones on television, try Kathy Reich's books. Far better, far more detailed than the programmes. 

I've eventually bought the latest Jo Nesbo, Knife, and it's not disappointing. 
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • dolly84
    Options
    madlyn said:
    Suggestions please?

I don't read biographies or true crime so can't help there.  For thrillers Harlen Coben is an easy, fast paced read as is James Patterson.  For classics I love Rebecca by Daphne De Maurier and I really loved House on the Strand by her too, my favourite Dickens are Great Expectations and A Christmas Carol, No Country for Old Men and The Road by Cormac Mcarthy are great but now is not the time to read The Road, The Patricia Cornwell Kay Scarpetta novels are very good, start right at the beginning, I think Postmortem might be the first, the later ones are not so good but there are loads of the earlier ones. 

• dolly84
    Options
    ziggy2407 said:
    Keep up the great suggestions you lovely people, they really are expanding the range of books I'm reading.  

I must admit I've struggled to settle to reading over the last couple of weeks (partly the worry over the virus and party due to fast tracked hospital appointments, appointments went well (if you can call 6 biopsies well) and now am in limbo waiting for results and guilty for adding to the already strained NHS labs) but finally finished "The Heart is a Lonely Hunter" , a book I read during my teenage years.  I have a few books from the library but no rush to read them as they have closed libraries and extended return dates to August. 
    Book 18 is "The Five: The untold stories of the women killed by Jack the Ripper".

Keep reading and stay safe.
    Very much hope you get good results and don't feel guilty, serious medical care has to go on as normal during all of this.
    Am desperate to read Five! It's been on my wishlist for ages. Midnight's Children is a book of two halves: I loved the human element of the first, but the second requires an understanding of Indian politics to appreciate fully. Personally I don't feel like it was anywhere as near well-written. 

I will give it a go and see how I feel, I have no understanding of Indian politics. 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport