PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Bookworms 2020

Options

Comments

• Fridayschild
    Options
    pollypenny and Happycas Sorry to hear that you aren't able to enjoy your reading at the moment. Maybe as this becomes the new normal for a while we will all settle down and feel more able to continue with our regular pastimes, knowing that we are at least doing the right thing by staying home.
    I am lucky in that I live in a very quiet rural location.  We have to walk our dogs each day and are able to do so without seeing more than one or two souls in the distance, and by avoiding roads and houses.  After a bit of exercise I feel more like a sit down and a good read.  The news is so frightening that I have to ration it to breakfast time and then the early evening news bulletin!  
    Wishing you all peace and safety right now.
    FC
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Well, I did structure a couple of hours stretched out on the sofa, in the sun, with my book. Enjoyed it before my 'timetabled' ironing session. 

Spent the rest of the afternoon catching up with isolating friends who live alone. 
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Options
    Well, I did structure a couple of hours stretched out on the sofa, in the sun, with my book. Enjoyed it before my 'timetabled' ironing session. 

Spent the rest of the afternoon catching up with isolating friends who live alone. 
    Same here - the last 2 afternoons have been sunny, so I have spent them in the conservatory which has topped 40 degrees C - take that, Coronavirus! Goes without saying I had the windows open :) . The reading took my mind of the current anxiety so persist, it can help if you let it.

Book 15:

8.5/10. Wonderful stories from verbal histories, and filled in quite a few of my gaps. The different perspectives were fascinating, and I added lots more books to my wishlist.
    No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I have a lot of books to get through and am hoping this down time will be a good opportunity.  I hope to be alive and well read with a super sparkly house, better behaved children and a fantastic vegetable garden at the end of this.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • Happycas
    Happycas Posts: 920 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Polly penny
    I followed your lead and decided I would read for an hour. And it worked!  
    Although I nodded off after about 45 minutes !  But I did read and feel much happier for it
    Thank you
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I slept so badly last night that I can't face the 'timetabled' gardening. I did tai chi via zoom this morning, which was great.  I've done more than my stint on Duolingo Welsh, now I am going to stretch out on the sofa again and read. I'm now hooked on The Dutch House.  
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • belfastgirl23
    belfastgirl23 Posts: 8,025 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I’m finding that I can read but not everything. I just finished Airhead by Emily Matliss (did someone here recommend it??) and really enjoyed it. I’m reading Joanna Trollope’s latest from the online library right now and it’s fine. But the thrillers I usually love are just too much for me at the minute, especially since i tend to read before I go to sleep. If you’re struggling to read might be worth going for something gentler (James Herriot sounds like a great idea!). 
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Cocketts said:
    Just found this thread - it's wonderful. I have already ordered a fair few from my library!
    Can anybody recommend any dystopian-type books.  I loved 'Last Light' (or was it First Light?) and the follow-on book where they were all living on the oil rig out at sea......
    Sorry, a bit late with suggestions, but...
    Joe hill - Fireman
    John Christopher - Death of Grass
    Bernard Knight - Brennan
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Like others I have also been struggling to read so I decided to read something light.  Currently about 2/3s of the way throught the Hobbit which I have not read for many years.  Really enjoying it.
  • Happycas
    Happycas Posts: 920 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I think you might be right, Belfast girl.
    I might re-read some old favourites.  Might be Katharine by Anya Seton.  Or perhaps go way back to What Katy Did/ Little Women
    Thank you for the suggestion
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure