Embracing the new family dynamics and looking forward to the future with optimism

I usually have some sort of sewing related title to my threads. My diaries of how I cope, or don't cope with my unusual life.
But I have lost my Sewing Mojo at the moment.
Moving forward with a two year old, a four year old, a 12 year old, and four Adults who still take up my time I doubt this single Granny is going to have much time to Sew this year.
I am going to learn to be more of a "housekeeper, carer and learn to be more domesticated if I can.
Screaming child stops play
When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.

Comments

• Subscribed xx
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Forumite
    One child in bed, one nearly ready to go.
    DS Just came home from work, so I can have my own time now.
    I have been looking back on some very old posts for Frugal living etc.
    Not because I need to dramatically change anything but because I know that I could do so much better, and should teach my family to be more sustainable etc.
    The amount of waste we have produced over the past 6 months is just rediculous.
    Savings for holidays etc is an incentive to start making changes.
    Those that know me will know that I love going to Portugal, and that my ultimate dream was to have a home in central Portugal. I was close to buying something at the end of 2018 but helped family with debts instead.
    I have long since realised that I will not get all of my funds back although Biggest repaid her wedding loans etc.
    If I get anything back from the others I will treat it as a bonus.

I still need to do down the credit card, all though it is only one card and no longer 4. And it is all on 0%.
    The Cabin loan is covered but I would like to challenge myself to at least finding the repayments for that every month out of being creative and being able to sell off makes and stock from my shop days.

There are a lot of challenges I have followed through over the years, but I know that I tend to drift off and only post on my own thread so I will try to run my own little mini challenges here.
    I am not very domesticated or particularly organised in life.
    I am hoping that I will have the ability to accept that domesticity is possible for me and that striving to be a business woman doesn't have to be me for the next few years.
    I have been trying to fight the inevitable and it has taken me a lot of soul searching to accept that this new dynamics is my life now.
    The children deserve my attention and Dgd certainly needs me more than ever at the moment.
    My mother also needs me, although she is getting back to her old self now and actually getting up and about more.
    I am hoping when Nursery starts I will settle into a new routine.

The first mini challenge is the 1p challenge, where you save 1p then 2p etc escalating it up each day. I can't remember where I saw it, but it felt doable.
    I have found one of the children's old money boxes that they don't use, and I am going to put it in my bedroom and back date my 1ps to catch up with myself for today.
    The second mini challenge is to throw two things out for every one thing that I bring in to the house!
    This will be h difficult one for me, as I do have hoarding tendencies.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 89,641
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Ambassador
    Happy shiny new diary :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing [email protected]. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Forumite
    Time to get up. To make life easier I am going to call the boys dgs1 and dgs2, as although I have other grandchildren these are the ones here with me, and trying to remember which of the three four year olds are which etc totally confuses me!
    So
    Dgs2 woke up at 5.30am
    I did give him a bottle and put lullabies on but once he had finished the bottle he wasn't having anything of sleeping. At 6.15 dgs1 was also up.
    For the past hour I have kept them in my sitting area in my bedroom with google and the kindle to keep them from running amock through the house. Here it is a teacher training day, so school doesn't start until tomorrow.
    But I need to get moving and sorting out a few things this morning.
    I have to organise my paperwork so I can take one lot to the Solicitor and another lot the accountants. It may take me some time. The cost for not dealing with things as they come in.
  • hb2
    hb2 Posts: 1,398
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    I look forward to reading your new 'diary'. You say that you are not 'organised' but it doesn't look that way to me. You are also adaptable, which has allowed to you bend to new challenges rather than breaking.
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Forumite
    I think I plan things but life gets in the way.
    I did make some headway with my paperwork and DS's that were lurking on the shelf. Stood over him while he actually did the SORN on his old car, and paid the fine. Held his hand(metaphorically) while he negotiated a discount on two debts that came from she who must remain in the past.
    Gathered our separate social reports etc. Separated my business stuff from my private, and cleared up 6 shelves while doing it all.
    DS cooked sausage sandwiches while I recycled the waste paper.
    I kept the washing moving and had the washing all up to date for about 12 seconds then a cup of coffee was spilt over the daybed and two loads of washing reappeared.
    Took Dgd with us when I took boys to contact and then we went to B & M for some stationary for both of us and a few food items for my Mum, popped to her to give her her bits, changed her lightbulb she needed doing and it was time to go back for the boys.
    We have all had something different for tea tonight as I wanted to use it all up.
    So the boys had pasta, sweet corn and sausage pieces.
    Dgd had spaghetti bolognese
    DS had beef stir fry
    And I had ham hock with potato, carrot and sweet corn and I made a Thai Green Curry out of the left over chicken from Sunday. All in all I am pleased with that.
    My 1p challenge is at a grand 21p! Tomorrow we add 7p.
    I am not sitting in my cosy chair in my bedroom and when I have updated this I am putting my feet up and reading for a while. I will be having an early night as I was awake so early this morning.
    Oh and I had my first alterations in of the year. I plan to work tomorrow morning for an hour or two before taking Mum out.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Forumite
    Morning!
    It is going to take some getting used to waking up at 5am onwards with this little man.
    The task is to remove him from the shared bedroom so he doesn't wake up his brother or DS. Although this morning Dgd has woken up.
    She has been in and is already dressed for school, which is unheard of.
    Here comes dgs1 so the day has begun in earnest.
    Last night I picked up my studying for business again but I am just going to apply it to my home thinking. I have put my todo list in my planner.
    I assessed where I felt I was so I can move the needle this year.
    School today so time for breakfast etc.
  • hb2
    hb2 Posts: 1,398
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Oh My, 5am is very uncivilised! I was lucky that my son never woke quite that early as a rule. These days, now that we are both retired, I view anything before 7.30 as 'the middle of the night' :o
    It's not difficult!
    'Wander' - to walk or move in a leisurely manner.
    'Wonder' - to feel curious.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Forumite
    hb2 wrote: »
    Oh My, 5am is very uncivilised! I was lucky that my son never woke quite that early as a rule. These days, now that we are both retired, I view anything before 7.30 as 'the middle of the night' :o

I agree with you! 7.30 is ideal. Alas even with darkness and blackout curtains when he is awake he is up and shouting.
    I have come up to my room early. My electric blanket is on, I am sitting in my cosy chair, smooth music on google hub, I have a soft fleece blanket that Mum bought me when we went to the garden centre, and I will do my planner for tomorrow morning and then read again. But I will probably be in bed by 8.30 at this rate.
    I managed to book the cars in for some work next week.
    Register the boys with my dentist and change our appointment for an after school one.
    Sort out an on line banking problem,
    Left a voicemail with the Solicitor. Had a message from my accountant to get my paperwork sorted out.
    Two customers dropped off new jobs. Started to do yesterday's job only to find that even with hundreds of zips I had to order another one.
    Bought a halogen heater for the cabin as the fan heater is rather inefficient and I was worried as the plug was getting hot. Not ideal.
    Both kids in school on time today. Took dgs2 in the buggy and walked dgs1 to school. I enjoyed the fresh air, dgs2 waved at everyone coming past with a cheery Hello, so we got lots of smiles.
    Dgs1 behaved and hopefully walked off some of his energy before class started.
    All in all I am happy with my day.
    My 7p went into the pot.
    Not sure how I am going to manage the £1000 in 100 days yet but we will see.

Have a good evening all, and a better day tomorrow.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Forumite
    My biggest enemy at the moment is lack of sleep.
    I try to get to sleep earlier to compensate for the interruption etc but I feel like I have done a full day already.
    Dgs2 has a cough and a cold now, so he is a little more grumpy than usual.
    He is still waking around 5, and so is Dgd! Who has gone from sleeping all day and awake half the night. At 6am she decided to tell me she was to make chicken nuggets at school today. Luckily we had a single chicken breast in the freezer and all the other ingredients were in the cupboards.
    I walked to school with the boys, I am trying to stop using the car, and get some air and exercise in the morning, and then come out into my Cabin, work on my planner and get working properly by 10am.
    I have two clients booked in this morning.
    Just have to push myself to get some work done until I find the mojo again.
    DS has been handed dgs2, and told his turn I am off to work .
    So I better show willing and do some sewing!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback