PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Impulse buys

Comments

• Yes, I'm with those who say 'it depends what you mean' (and Polly, cannot IMAGINE buying a car on impulse! Though I am sure you did your sums!)
    I'm with JackieO, though I don't have the physical cash in a purse. I always try to plan some sale purchases, and have a mental list of what to buy when it's 'on offer'. There are some things (bedlinen, stationery) that I will only buy in a sale.

I was glad I had some put by because just before Xmas, one of my favourite fabric internet shops had some very expensive fabric remnants that they had knocked down to 1/4 price. Looking forward to making them up.
  • Im not really an impulse buyer unless its an item I use regularly such as wash powder at a "rude to say no" price in a supermarket.

This thread has given me food for thought. I never really have been a spender partly as I dont really like shopping....especially for clothes.

The other reason at the moment is because for my sanity , I choose to work part time. Not sure who it was that coveted what I have?
    A little job in a cafe/restaurant by the sea :rotfl:

I have been here 16 years on and off with varying full time and part time hours. I love my job and the majority of staff and customers but it can be hard work! I found when I did more hours, my patience with the minority of rude or grumpy customers made me stressed and I began to dislike it. Limiting my hours to three days a week with the odd extra shift to cover holidays (and a bit extra money) works for me but also makes me very careful with money.

Ill do survey sites to earn amazon vouchers which I use to stock up on such things as toilet rolls, tea bags, washing up liquid etc etc.

I would rather do this than work full time and be stressed.
    Ok so I dont have so much disposable cash but Im not mad on shops anyway :D
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    :) Have got an immaculate pair of outdoors-branded trousers which are on sale on the company's website for £29, down from £60 (both bar a penny). Got mine for £2.75.:T As-new conditon in a chazzer.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    So much for my claim that I no longer do impulse buys, lol! Went to a local department store for some paint samples the other day and was tempted by a gorgeous Walter Crane design water bottle (£20). Suffice to say, I was unable to resist its charms :o
    At £20, I would have been able to resist its charms! It just feels like too much for a single treat, given that a cup of coffee out buys me much pleasure I'd be thinking that would be at least 6 cups.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • calicocat
    calicocat Posts: 5,698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    This thread makes me want to head off to the chazzer shops. :rotfl:
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early.:D....... Going to have to rethink that scenario as have been screwed over by the company. A work in progress.
  • GreyQueen
    calicocat wrote: »
    This thread makes me want to head off to the chazzer shops. :rotfl:
    :D The chazzers are the place to be. I joke with pals at my favourite chazzer that, if they add a greengrocery and dairy section, I would never need to shop anywhere else. :rotfl:
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    This month has been a bit nutty for impulse (ie unplanned) buys, 100% of which could have been avoided if a) I didn't go out for a walk and b) if I left my purse at home when I did :o

Yesterday another £5 melted away, but for that I bought a beautiful Laura Ashley linen summer dress, and a tiny trinket box and some BNWT clothes hangers for the little one, a gorgeous winter scarf (which I plan to wear today), and a full set of napkin rings. So all were good buys and I am meticulously noting these down in a log I started this year. We're half way through the month and I think I've spent less than £30 so far, far shy of the £200 average I cited in the OP.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • gt568
    gt568 Posts: 2,497 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    This month has been a bit nutty for impulse (ie unplanned) buys, 100% of which could have been avoided if a) I didn't go out for a walk and b) if I left my purse at home when I did :o

Yesterday another £5 melted away, but for that I bought a beautiful Laura Ashley linen summer dress, and a tiny trinket box and some BNWT clothes hangers for the little one, a gorgeous winter scarf (which I plan to wear today), and a full set of napkin rings. So all were good buys and I am meticulously noting these down in a log I started this year. We're half way through the month and I think I've spent less than £30 so far, far shy of the £200 average I cited in the OP.

Your charity shops seem much cheaper than around here! I wonder why?
    {Signature removed by Forum Team}
  • GreyQueen
    :) I've been to the Everything 50p Chazzer this afto and have come out with two shower curtains (one in an interesting geometric pattern, the other a gorgeous plain jewel colour), plus a F & F top which is surprisingly good quality for the make and a pair of most excellent C0untry Casuals trousers in a grey herringbone winter weight fabric.

The trousers are purporting to be Dry Clean Only but, having examined the fabric care label, I can't see for the life of me why not to machine wash them. I don't do Dry Clean Only for anything other than formal jackets/ coats. For 50p, I'm prepared to risk it.

:cool: Have just tried on my new outfit and everything fits and looks very becoming. If the washer doesn't ruin the trews, that's Monday's work outfit sorted.

PS, haven't decided what I shall be making with the shower curtains yet, but is a useful amount of fabric to play with, particularly for my [STRIKE]camping[/STRIKE] err glamping accessories.

So, I guess they were purely impulsive. I did check out the chazzer about the same time yesterday but didn't get anything and what I did buy today most definately wasn't there then.:D
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
  • DianneB
    DianneB Posts: 884 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    gt568 wrote: »
    Your charity shops seem much cheaper than around here! I wonder why?

Much cheaper than round here too! I visited Fakenham today and in the Sue Ryder spotted a length of unused Sanderson material, not a particularly attractive pattern and I was too shocked to check the length when I saw the price £70!!!!! Also had a quite vile cream leather corner sofa worn looking for over £300 forget the exact price. Don't think I will bother going back there. :eek:
    Slightly bitter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport