We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!

Options

Comments

• patientperson
    Options
    A new savings account from the Ecology BS.

https://www.ecology.co.uk/savings/savings-accounts/regular-savings/

Month: Min £25 / Max £250 by DD - 1 year at 1.5%.

This is not a high interest rate but may be of interest to some who wish to become a member of this society.
  • glider3560
    glider3560 Posts: 4,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

This is not a high interest rate but may be of interest to some who wish to become a member of this society.
    Also Direct Debit instead of Standing Order. So this account may be useful to those who also need to find new direct debits for their high interest current accounts.
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,279 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    !!!!!!

More characters and apologies if anyone is offended
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 5 November 2017 at 5:16PM
    Options

I do not see any maturity date, so this could be a good source of DD for indefinite period.
    Any taker those who is not a member of the Society for the previous twelve months ?? Nothing to loose.

1. Where the trust account is subject to a formal trust document, accounts will only be accepted where a trustee or beneficiary has been a member of the Society for the previous twelve months.
  • solartom
    solartom Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    just had a look at it myself
    you can not open another regular saver with them for 12 month after closure of the first one
    so yes it cold be a source for DD but only for 12 month
    Mortgage Free 02/02/2024
  • Special_Saver2
    Options
    Hi Everybody,

Here is this weekend's update.

- Leeds BS Regular Saver updated to issue 9 with new maturity date of 31st October 2018 in post 7
    - Ecology BS Regular Savings account added to post 2 as it appears to have no maturity date and the account details specify that you can add £3,000 per year
    - Nottingham BS Special Regular Saver (Issue 6) added to post 3

I can see there has been some discussion on what forum members should be posting on this thread. I am not a moderator but I have put my thoughts into post 1 as follows:

"I am happy for people to use this thread to discuss the regular savings accounts on this list. If people want to discuss one of the feeder accounts or a maturing account that is no longer on this list, I am happy for people to post something on this thread (as it may be of interest to some of the people who follow this thread), although I would prefer they start a new thread and then post a message on this thread with a link to the new thread."

I will do another update next weekend.

SS2
    For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...=608697&page=1
  • djpailo
    djpailo Posts: 550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It appears the initial deposit to the Leeds RS needs to be made by cheque.

EDIT: Very bizarre. The online application suggested the first deposit must be by cheque. The email they sent said I can instead transfer by electronic payments from another current account as a first deposit...
  • gilly56
    gilly56 Posts: 85 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 6 November 2017 at 1:38PM
    Options
    @Sea Shell

From what I read on the T&Cs of my Virgin Money Reg Savers it said the interest rates are all fixed until the maturity date, but hopefully any new RS will get a higher rate.

The T&Cs for the Leeds BS Reg Savers show rates as 'variable' so there might be an increase given on them but I doubt it as the current 2.30% is already a good rate compared with most other RS accounts.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    I have closed my transformed Virgin Money Regular E Saver issue 1 and asked for the balance to be transferred by FP to my nominated account. The amount transferred into my NA is £3582.27. This seems too high as the capital was £3500 with interest of £10 odd in March and final interest of £35. Has there been another VM computer problem?

Update

When my Virgin Money Regular E Saver Issue 1 matured on 20 October, the sum of £3,582.27 was transferred to my nominated account. This was an overpayment of £35.83 due to an error by Virgin Money by double-paying the final interest. On maturity the RS changed to an easy access account showing a debit balance of £35.83. The maturity instructions which I had submitted before maturity had asked for the maturity account to be closed.
    I expected to hear from Virgin Money either by letter or secure message or phone call to the effect that there had been an error on their part but heard nothing. I became anxious that interest might be running on the debit balance so, after 10 days of nothing happening, I sent a secure message on Monday 30 October asking what was happening. I received a reply on Friday 3 November in which Virgin Money accepted that they had made an error in calculating the maturity figure and asking me to send a payment of £35.83 to the maturity account to bring the balance to zero. I replied to the effect that I had been caused worry and anxiety by their error (which I had not contributed to in any way) and their failure to do anything about it until I contacted them on 30 October, with a further delay of 5 days for an acknowledgement by them of their error. They replied today saying that they will write off the £35.83.
  • Newly_retired
    Options
    Managed to open the new Nottingham BS Special Regular saver issue 6 in branch today on its launch. Rang up this morning to see if I needed to make an appointment and she said yes, and gave me one for today, but I reckon if I had just walked in, as an existing customer, they would have done it, as there was no queue and they did not seem busy.
    I just need to set up a SO for 1 December now.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure