Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!

Options

Comments

• Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 2 October 2014 at 8:55PM
    Options
    MRMX9 wrote: »
    Its still advertised here as being available.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/savings/best-regular-savings-accounts

It is also a variable rate - not a fixed one - so Chorley could cut the rate anytime over the 18 months if they wished to. So that 5/4.5% headline rate may not last until March 2016.

Received my passbook today (I'm not a member and sent the application Tuesday 30th 1st class). It's a shame in a way that I couldn't have got it open on 30th September as then I could've made another payment on 1st October and £1500 would have been earning 4.5% (variable) for 18 months, rather than £750.

I've noted that condition 13.11 in the Savings Accounts Terms and Conditions booklet says that where the Chorley do reduce the interest rate they will give you 30 days to close or transfer the account penalty free.
  • Speculator
    Speculator Posts: 2,225 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I've held numerous regular savings accounts with the Chorley over the last 14 years and I think the rates have always been variable, not fixed.

I think over the last 14 years, they have only on one occasion reduced the rate of a regular saver account and I remember reducing the monthly contribution to the minimum allowed.
  • patientperson
    Options
    Steve_xx wrote: »
    The problem here is that the Chorley hadn't figured on this account being featured on this site.

Although it was featured on this site I received notification of these accounts via Savings Champion email before it appeared here. So a lot of people may have also received similar notification.

On a good note my Member Sunshine Saver passbook arrived yesterday.:)
  • patientperson
    Options
    MRMX9 wrote: »
    Its still advertised here as being available./QUOTE]

No longer available as at this morning http://www.chorleybs.co.uk/regularsavers.html
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    badger09 wrote: »
    :eek:

I'm fairly sure the 'non members' one was only launched 29th September. I posted my application and cheque 1st class on 30th.

I will report back.

I phoned Chorley BS today and was told that all applications received before the 18 month Sunshine Saver was withdrawn 'late on Thursday afternoon' will be accepted. :)

It could however be a while before they are processed.
  • Special_Saver2
    Options
    Hi Everybody,

Here is this weekend's update. Actually with the appearance and then prompt disappearance of the Chorley BS Sunshine Bonds, there is nothing that I can find to change or update on the first page of this thread for this update.

I will do another update next weekend.

SS2
    For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...=608697&page=1
  • arsenalboy
    Options
    I saw the details for Chorley on this site on Tues 30th. Did an application for myself and my wife and posted Rec Del same day. They signed for it the following morning and posted our passbooks back to us by Rec Del the same day. We got them Thurs 2nd, you can't get faster than that!

What a great rate and what great service.
  • Speculator
    Speculator Posts: 2,225 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 4 October 2014 at 3:12PM
    Options
    I also saw the details on here Tues 30th and sent off 1st class same day. Already a member so no ID required so didn't send recorded.

Received both passbooks today and date of opening is Thurs 2nd Oct. Money still not debited from our Lloyds 4% account so possibly earning 9% gross on £1500 for a couple of days/until the money is debited assuming Chorley pays interest day after deposit.
  • Ed-1
    Ed-1 Posts: 3,906 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Speculator wrote: »
    I also saw the details on here Tues 30th and sent off 1st class same day. Already a member so no ID required so didn't send recorded.

Received both passbooks today and date of opening is Thurs 2nd Oct. Money still not debited from our Lloyds 4% account so possibly earning 9% gross on £1500 for a couple of days/until the money is debited assuming Chorley pays interest day after deposit.

Don't you mean you might be earning 5% on £750 and 4% on £750? Not the same as 9% on £1500!

Isn't it standard for banks and building societies to normally pay interest from the 2nd working day after the cheque is credited?
  • Kazza242
    Kazza242 Posts: 2,169 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Speculator wrote: »
    I knew keeping a £1 balance in our Chorley Paid up share account was a good idea!

Ditto that. I kept a minimal balance in my Chorley Paid Up Share account, so glad I did!

I received my passbook back from Chorley this morning - opening date 1st October. I actually saw the account on Moneyfacts early afternoon on the 29th Sep, on my mobile phone, but because I was away on a course, I couldn't post it on MSE. I also had to wait until I got home to get my application sorted out. Still, glad I posted the application Monday evening as this account was withdrawn so quick!

Also, received a phone call from Nottingham BS yesterday. They are going to open the 5.00% Special Saver (issue 2) for me via the post. Fantastic service from both building societies.
    Please call me 'Kazza'.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport