Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!

Options

Comments

• Andystriker
    Options
    Careful_ly wrote: »
    I have been to a branch of Derbyshire today as issue 1 platinum regular saver has matured.

I have got 4 out of the following 5 issues

I was told that it was a mistake that I had been allowed to open one of each issue, and that I can keep the accounts that I have but open no more until they have all matured.

I was told this applied to both Derbyshire and Cheshire accounts.

I have each issue of this account at both Derbyshire and Cheshire. I was encouraged by The Cheshire to open these accounts. They even rang me when a new issue came out.

I would suggest the Derbyshire branch you have been to today has got it wrong.

Which branch was it?
  • Careful_ly
    Options
    I have each issue of this account at both Derbyshire and Cheshire. I was encouraged by The Cheshire to open these accounts. They even rang me when a new issue came out.

I would suggest the Derbyshire branch you have been to today has got it wrong.

I don't think for one minute that it was a mistake, I think that there has been a policy change.

I have spoken to head office and they confirmed only one regular saver of any issue. He said they were unaware the branches were letting people open multiple accounts, but I had a statement in the summer when I had 2 issues, that didn't come from branch!! What sort of IT system is in place that lets them open the accounts if its not allowed.

I am sure when/if there is an issue 7 that the paperwork will show existing customers cannot have it.:mad::mad::mad:
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    I just managed to get my FD reg saver opened by phone the other night :T. Can't remember T&C's - I know I need to pay £1500 a month in but is there a requirement for DD's as well?

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • typistretired
    Options
    See the following terms and conditions from their website the £1500 paid in stops you from being charged £10. If you have opened the regular saver you do not have to maintain the £1500 average monthly balance.

Our charges

Banking with first direct usually costs £10 a month, but we'll waive the fee if you pay in at least £1,500 to your 1st Account each month, maintain an average monthly 1st Account balance of £1,500, or hold a selected first direct additional product.

The transferring of at least 2 direct debits is if you want the £100 for opening an account with them.
    "Look after your pennies and your pounds will look after themselves"
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    See the following terms and conditions from their website the £1500 paid in stops you from being charged £10. If you have opened the regular saver you do not have to maintain the £1500 average monthly balance.

Our charges

Banking with first direct usually costs £10 a month, but we'll waive the fee if you pay in at least £1,500 to your 1st Account each month, maintain an average monthly 1st Account balance of £1,500, or hold a selected first direct additional product.

The transferring of at least 2 direct debits is if you want the £100 for opening an account with them.
    Thanks for that - I'd previously had an account so couldn't get the £100. Was sure I had read about DD's somewhere!
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • Special_Saver2
    Options
    Hi Folks,

I have carried out a quick update for this thread.

- Chorley BS Santa Saver and Summertime Saver withdrawn
    - First Direct Regular Saver account withdrawn
    - Added a note to the Cheshire / Derbyshire entry to point out that they are no longer allowing customers to open one account per issue

I will update this thread again next weekend.

SS2
    For those new to this thread, the first few posts are constantly updated and are here: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...d.php?t=608697
  • innovate
    innovate Posts: 16,217 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Took over a month to get my Ulster Special Interest Savings account opened - probably not helped by the fact that I wasn't an Ulster Bank customer before, and I live nowhere near Northern Ireland.

I applied online and got account opening documents about a fortnight later, with a request to return the signed application form with a cheque for £1 - £1,000. I completely forgot about the cheque, but they opened the account anyway. Once I had my online access, I could then make a deposit by Faster Payment, which arrived instantly.

Not sure I will deposit a lot now that the interest drops to 2.5% imminently.
  • veryintrigued
    Options
    innovate wrote: »
    Took over a month to get my Ulster Special Interest Savings account opened - probably not helped by the fact that I wasn't an Ulster Bank customer before, and I live nowhere near Northern Ireland.

I applied online and got account opening documents about a fortnight later, with a request to return the signed application form with a cheque for £1 - £1,000. I completely forgot about the cheque, but they opened the account anyway. Once I had my online access, I could then make a deposit by Faster Payment, which arrived instantly.

Not sure I will deposit a lot now that the interest drops to 2.5% imminently.

I opened one recently too. Initial cheque cleared on 31/1/13.

When the Post Office decided to reverse their % rate drop I looked (last week) at sending the best part of the £1000 to the Post Office Online saver to get the 3.17% rather than the 3.00% (atm) at Ulster. However I came unstuck transferring it online due to the site recognising I did not having a card reader (or a card!!).

Just one to be aware of!
  • innovate
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    However I came unstuck transferring it online due to the site recognising I did not having a card reader (or a card!!).

Just one to be aware of!

Good point, thanks! How did you get round the issue?

I did order a card reader, but never thought about the card, doh!!! Better go and open current account #15 then.
  • innovate
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    BTW, if you complain to the PO, they will pay you the difference in lost interest.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure