Regular Savings Accounts: The Best Currently Available List!

Options

Comments

• mary
    mary Posts: 1,584 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Just had a letter from them today as my old RS is maturing on 1st Feb.
    They said they are launching a new RS on 1 Feb, but did not say what the rate would be.
  • Special_Saver2
    Options
    Hi Everybody,

Here is this weekend's update.

Skipton BS has launched their Regular Saver Cash ISA paying 3.25% fixed for 12 months on £445 per month. After 12 months, the account is changed to an easy access cash ISA account. Withdrawals are not permitted. If you need to access your money during the fixed rate period, then your account will be closed. After 12 months there are no penalties or notice periods for withdrawals. No transfers in accepted.

This account may not be very popular as we are close to the end of the tax year (so the amount you can save in this account for this tax year will be limited) and interest rates may well be rising soon (the interest rate on this account is fixed). The interest rate is very good compared to other ISAs so I feel obliged to mention this account.

I do not cover cash ISAs on this thread as they are well covered on Kazza242's thread. I will place a post on that thread.

There is nothing else I can find that has changed this week.

I will do another update next weekend.

SS2
  • edda
    edda Posts: 1,057 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Like the ISA thread mentioned, a lot of work goes into maintaining this thread by Special_Saver2. :T

I think it's about time that MSE recognised this and made the thread a sticky. (Not the 1st time - or the last - this request will be made).
  • NhocCuteGirlUK
    Options
    No Time Limit / Account Maturity Date

Buckinghamshire BS Chiltern Gold Builder (Issue 2)

Interest rate: 3.5% gross p.a. variable from 26th April 2010

Monthly payment: £25-£250 (fixed amount, must be the same amount as the opening deposit)

Miss any payments: No

Penalty-free withdrawals: Yes, one per calendar year (1st January to 31st December)

Age of applicant: Not stated

How to open account: Post (freepost address)

Special conditions: Only one Gold Builder account (any issue) per customer is permitted. Transfers are not permitted from existing Buckinghamshire Building Society accounts.

Beverley BS Monthly Saver

Interest rate: 3.1% gross p.a. variable from 1st February 2009

Monthly payment: £10-£1,000

Penalty-free withdrawals: Yes, you can make 1 penalty-free withdrawal per calendar year. Each subsequent withdrawal incurs a 30 day loss of interest on the amount withdrawn.

How to open account: Branch or post

Special conditions: The bonus component of the interest rate is guaranteed to remain at least 3%. Your initial investment of between £10 and £1,000 will be your agreed monthly subscription and must be maintained for at least six months. Any alteration after that time must be agreed with the Society.

Mansfield BS Regular Savings

Interest rate: 3.1% gross p.a. variable from 1st April 2009

Monthly payment: £25-£500

Penalty-free withdrawals: Yes, can make 2 penalty-free withdrawals

Special conditions: You can only make one deposit per month. The interest rate is guaranteed to remain at least 3% above the basic annual equivalent rate paid on their Prime Access account.

Nottingham BS Regular Saver

Interest rate: 3.1% gross p.a. variable from 1st April 2009

Monthly payment: £10-£250

Miss any payments: Yes, miss 1 payment per account year (which ends 30th September)

Penalty-free withdrawals: Yes, can make 2 penalty-free withdrawals per account year (which ends 30th September)

How to open account: Branch

Special conditions: Your regular payments must reach the account by 25th of each month. If you open your account part way through the account year, you can miss one monthly payment up to 25th September and still qualify for the bonus interest.

Leeds BS Regular Saver (Issue 2)

Interest rate: 3.05% gross p.a. variable from 22nd April 2009

Monthly payment: £20-£500

Penalty-free withdrawals: Yes, can make 1 penalty-free withdrawal per account year (which ends 28th February, 29th February in a leap year)

Special conditions: You can only make one deposit per month.

Ulster Bank Special Interest Deposit Account

Interest rate: 3% gross p.a. variable

Monthly payment: £1-£1,000

Miss any payments: No, but there is no stated penalty if you miss a payment

Penalty-free withdrawals: Yes, as many as you want

Age of applicant: 18 years or older

How to open account: Branch, online or post

Special conditions: The interest rate on balances above £15,000 is less than the interest rate stated above. Maximum balance £100,000.

Vernon BS Regular Saver Reward

Interest rate: 3% gross p.a. variable

Monthly payment: £25-£500

Miss any payments: Yes, can miss 1 payment per account year (which ends 31st March)

Penalty-free withdrawals: Yes, can make 2 penalty-free withdrawals per account year (which ends 31st March)

Special conditions: You must live within a 25 mile radius of Stockport.

Yorkshire BS Regular Saver (Issue 2)

Interest rate: 3% gross p.a. variable from 29th March 2009

Monthly payment: £10-£250

Miss any payments: Yes, can miss 1 payment per account year (which starts from the date when you open the account)

Penalty-free withdrawals: Yes, can make 1 penalty-free withdrawal per account year

How to open account: Branch or post (once opened, can be operated online)

Special conditions: Maximum account balance £20,000.

Options
    arsenalboy wrote: »
    Just to let you know that I have successfully applied via post for the issue 11 Principality regular saver.
    I have received passbooks in post this morning. I have applied for all the previous issues by post as I live nowhere near Wales!!
    Have they treated me as an existing or regular customer?

Having said all that there is nothing on their website to say they will not accept postal applications?
    Previously you would click the link, fill in application, print it off and send with cheque.
    This time I downloaded a general application form and filled it in and sent it with cheque.
    Hope that helps.

I can confirm that I also opened one of this account along with other 2 regular saver with them. I printed the form from the site and post to [FONT=&quot]Principality BS[/FONT][FONT=&quot], FREEPOST SWC0711, P O Box 89, Principality Buildings, Queen Street, CARDIFF, CF10 1UA [/FONT]
  • ctdctd
    ctdctd Posts: 1,080 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I can confirm that I also opened one of this account along with other 2 regular saver with them. I printed the form from the site and post to [FONT=&quot]Principality BS[/FONT][FONT=&quot], FREEPOST SWC0711, P O Box 89, Principality Buildings, Queen Street, CARDIFF, CF10 1UA [/FONT]

And on the other hand, I asked them via secure messaging from their web site if I could open one by post and they said no - branch only :(
    Do Money Saving sites make you buy more bargains - and spend more money?
  • snowqueen555
    snowqueen555 Posts: 1,521 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 January 2011 at 4:59AM
    Options
    Hello can anybody help with these questions with regards to the HSBC Regular saver 5%

1) Is it possible to change the amount deposited in every month?

terms and conditions say (from page 47)

http://www.hsbc.co.uk/1/PA_1_5_S5/content/uk/pdfs/en/personalbankingterms_conditions.pdf
    4.7. The first standing order payment must be at
    least one calendar month after account opening.
    You can change the amount of the monthly
    standing order
    subject to clauses 4.5 and 4.6
    (as long as its between £25-£250)
    above. You can only make one standing order
    payment to your Regular Saver in any one month

And I don't understand the below quote. Does it mean you can freeze payments in? I thought you need to pay in every month?
    4.8. You can stop a standing order that has been
    set up to your Regular Saver and set up a new
    standing order at a later date.

2) Is it possible to change the date the money gets paid in? When I fill in the form online it doesn't give me an option to choose what day the money gets taken out.

3) On the first page of this thread it says you don't have to pay in every month and can freeze a standing order, but I can't see this anywhere on the HSBC terms and conditions.

-

I've just applied for it and it will take 2 days to go through, but it gives me no information about a standing order. Do you make this manually or is it set up for you automatically?

Thanks
  • adindas
    adindas Posts: 6,815 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I just want to let you lnow. Today, I was calling them and asking wheter I could apply by Post. I also explian to them that I already have Issue 10.

The answer is: No.

I wonder if anyone else manage to open one by Post ?

ADINDAS
  • tillycat123
    Options
    adindas wrote: »
    I just want to let you lnow. Today, I was calling them and asking wheter I could apply by Post. I also explian to them that I already have Issue 10.

The answer is: No.

I wonder if anyone else manage to open one by Post ?

ADINDAS

I have issue 9 that comes to an end 4th Feb. I called the other day and said I wanted to carry on saving but into issue 11. Lady told me to send in passbook and letter saying that. Have done but not heard anything back yet.
  • Milarky
    Milarky Posts: 6,356 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Nottingham BS
    mfpageID=
    FIXED RATE REGULAR SAVER Issue 2 will be launched w.e.f. 1.2.11: a fixed term branch based regular savings account maturing 28.2.12. A minimum monthly investment of £10 paying 4.00% yearly. No minimum monthly investment required, maximum £100. No earlier access permitted. Payments can be missed and additional payments are permitted provided the monthly maximum is not exceeded.
    https://www.emoneyfacts.co.uk/news/news-search.aspx?newsarticleid=202301

They did one of these before - but at 5%. Only £100 and branch-based

.....under construction.... COVID is a [discontinued] scam
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills