Forum Home» Debt-Free Wannabe» Debt Free Diaries

Midlife Musings and Measurable Goals - Page 5

New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Midlife Musings and Measurable Goals

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Debt Free Diaries
1.4K replies 56.1K views

Replies

• savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    13.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well done on applying for the bursary. Boo to accidentally deleting some work. Hope you had a relaxing evening.
    During 2021: Target 1) Clear CC debt £15212 £12423 @ 0% Target 2) Lose weight 3) Write regularly 4) Promote book(s) 5) Develop passive income streams 6) Build 3-6 mths EF 7) Declutter
  • beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    74.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Good news on the bursary application.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **
    MFW. 1 month to go ****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
  • mark55manmark55man Forumite
    6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    not sure if helpful but there may be ways to recover the file, but if you only lost a little work it may be quicker to redo as recovery can be fiddly and pointless

I recall you had a MAC so - https://www.cleverfiles.com/howto/recover-word-document-mac.html

Hope this helps - if not there should plenty of youtube how-to's
    I think I saw you in an ice-cream parlour/Drinking milk shakes cold & long/Smiling & waving & looking so fine
    Weight 17/01/2021:95.5kg - YTD: -1kg, Trips to tip: 02/52 - Rooms Painted: 0/4 - Steps >5000: 2/300
    Debt 01/01/2021:-£107.5K - YTD (17/01): [email protected]%:{PDBX21 #26} £550/£12299 - {MFW21 #57} OP Pot: £2.7K/£102K
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:£13.4K 2017:£8.3K 2018:£20K 2019:£16K 2020:£37.5K 2021 (Repaid YTD): £1.8K
  • doingitanywaydoingitanyway Forumite
    6.4K posts
    Ninth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Mark but probably quicker to redo what work I lost...

Today I signed up so I could stream a film on my computer. The film was great! Never done this before (believe it or not) so breaking new tech ground as per my goals. Told you I had luddite tendencies ;)

It's a bit early in the year to feel despondent but I do today all the same. The enormity of getting the bathroom, kitchen, fascias, plumbing, new windows and fascias overwhelmed me. My neighbour is throwing food (sandwiches/fish and chips!) in their front garden for the foxes I assume, although it is a matter of time before rats join in. (I'm not complaining to the council as I plan to move this year if I can) Really fed up of living in this house right now...

Just letting off steam. Onwards and upwards. So, I will call the window company tomorrow and chase the 2 new windows. Sigh.

On the bright side? Finished reading a great book, a few YS bargains for the freezer, I spoke to my friend in Sydney and none of her family are directly affected by the bushfires :j

Hope you are all having a good day.
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
  • another_casualtyanother_casualty Forumite
    5.4K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear of you feeling down today DIA .
    Imho, from what you've told us just now, I think the fascias is the priority. Those toe rags that you have for neighbours are extracting the urine, but you are doing the right thing by saying nothing .

Regarding the other jobs, it seems like you should assess 3 people for either the bathroom or kitchen only . Then , if you get lucky you could ask them to do either the bathroom or kitchen . Hopefully the plumbing would be sorted by them . Make sure when assessing them you listen as to how they want payment etc .
    James, the chap I found emailed me quotes for bathroom and took payments every so often . I didn't like the sound of the previous chap I assessed who wanted 50% up front and promised the Earth .
    You probably know all this anyway , but it's just a reminder as you have a lot on your plate .

Anyway, hope the week gets better..
    Too many people ..too many problems .  I Step away from the news, media and oppression as much as possible ( and adverts!) and realise that my life matters ,and maybe life is not crap .
  • Sunshine_girl2Sunshine_girl2 Forumite
    1.3K posts
    1,000 Posts First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Could you get away with not doing the jobs on your house and pricing it accordingly, or would that be a daft idea.

I hope your applications for bursaries are successful , they will help with your expenses.

Have you done anything with your car yet ?
    8 more loan payments to debt freedom.

£1491 18th December 2020

• jwiljwil Forumite
    12.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are moving, then I wouldn't bother doing anything to the bathroom and kitchen, most people would prefer to put their own stamp on a property. As long as they are functional, just make sure they are clean.

Have you checked with an estate agent as to whether it's worth getting the work done? It may be better value to just price your house accordingly as sunshine girl says.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
  • savingholmessavingholmes Forumite
    13.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi DIA

What a nightmare neighbour. I understand why you can't complain but am with you in wanting you to be able to move asap. Sorry you're having a tough time.
    During 2021: Target 1) Clear CC debt £15212 £12423 @ 0% Target 2) Lose weight 3) Write regularly 4) Promote book(s) 5) Develop passive income streams 6) Build 3-6 mths EF 7) Declutter
    6.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear of you feeling down today DIA .
    Imho, from what you've told us just now, I think the fascias is the priority. Those toe rags that you have for neighbours are extracting the urine, but you are doing the right thing by saying nothing .
    Anyway, hope the week gets better..
    Thanks AC I appreciate the support, and I agree the fascias are the priority. The problem is finding a tradesperson :(
    Could you get away with not doing the jobs on your house and pricing it accordingly, or would that be a daft idea.

I hope your applications for bursaries are successful , they will help with your expenses.

Have you done anything with your car yet ?
    Thanks SSG2 Not a daft idea at all. The EA says I will lose out overall if I don't do superficials but we shall see. Definitely still an option for me.
    Nothing done on the car :o
    I'm pleased say I've applied for a bursary and a fellowship. I may not get either but I'm glad I am getting them done.
    jwil wrote: »
    If you are moving, then I wouldn't bother doing anything to the bathroom and kitchen, most people would prefer to put their own stamp on a property. As long as they are functional, just make sure they are clean.

Have you checked with an estate agent as to whether it's worth getting the work done? It may be better value to just price your house accordingly as sunshine girl says.
    Thanks Jwil :) Yes, I saw an EA a few years back but may do this again. Good idea.
    Neither my bathroom or kitchen are functional or clean and that is the issue I'm afraid/embarrassed to say :o
    If you have built castles in the air, your work should not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them.
    6.4K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hi DIA

What a nightmare neighbour. I understand why you can't complain but am with you in wanting you to be able to move asap. Sorry you're having a tough time.
    Thanks Savingholmes :)